Should I get a sampler or Korg Triton Extreme?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
GaryTracks

Should I get a sampler or Korg Triton Extreme?

Post by GaryTracks » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:55 am

I want a new sampler. I’ve tried so many, and still my beloved and I have not found each other.

Or should I get the king of romplers, the Korg Triton Extreme? (would eventually get a sampler as well).

I creamed when I heard about Ableton’s sampler, and saddened when I learned it was more synth than professional multi-sampler workstation.

I’ve had many, still have an Akai S-6000, but I don’t like the loud external hard drive.

My favorite was an old Emu 6400. I like the way it organized samples/presets/banks and how easy it was to play the sample up and down the entire keyboard from one setting, and then play it in your preset/patch at the touch of a button.

I love the grooveboxes - a whole other aspect to samplers: having banks of blinking pads...but they're not powerful. but theyr'e fun for bringing in found-sounds to your mix.

The main use for me will be as a rompler of real-world instruments (need good pianos, electric pianos,strings), and also as a sampler, tweaking and playing non-real sounds.

It seems Native Instruments are the mostest, with Kontakt and all their player/libraries, but I wont touch any more of their products, I don’t like the GUI experience. Maybe Akai will release a soft-sampler?

SO WHAT’S THE DOPE SAMPLER on the market? Love an MPC, but that is more for drums than a keyboard rompler.

Akai Z-8 seemed cool, years ago. Man I could imagine the most fantastic hardware/keyboard sampler, but no one is making it. Are the marketers confused? Why doesn't anyone make a keyboard (or rackmount)sampler, with synth-warping parameters (like Ableton's), USB for file exchange and even editing, Firewire connectivity. The old days saw people buying samplers in order to sample real-world instruments for themselves. i dont think these companies have caught on to the fact we want OPEN-ENDED systems that combine the playability of romplers with the power of samplers. The Triton is a joke, i hear, as a sampler. Do they do this on purpose, because a powerful open RAM system would make dinosaurs of most keyboards????

Where is the sampling innovation?

edit: i like the advantage of HARDWARE samplers, because of no latency, and direct monitoring.

(But maybe the rumours of the new MACbooks are true; that theyr'e POWERFUL. lord knows i can't even run Battery with the way my Live performance template is set up on my P-book.)
Last edited by GaryTracks on Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
COSMO'S GEAR: G4 Powerbook 1.5g-1.5ram/Motu 828mkII/Access Virus Indigo/Handsonic HPD15/Battery 2/Korg 01W/BCR and BCF2000/Event 20-20 bas/Lacie FW

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am

dude give the EMU xt2 a looksy, I don't have one myself but I have been jonesen for a go, on paper it looks very nice.
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

GaryTracks

Post by GaryTracks » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:06 am

yeah i'd love to but it's PC only :evil:

GaryTracks

Post by GaryTracks » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:05 pm

any other opinions?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:11 pm

Look into the Colossus sample library. Software samplers are the way to go for "real" sounding stuff. I did a whole Norah Jones mockup track in just a few hours with my mate a few months back - just using Colossus.

Or if you are looking for the big-shot pro sounds, then check out GigaSampler. it still is a kick-ass package, used by all the greats - you know, the ones who sold their 4-6-8-12-16 Emu samplers and replaced them with a computer or two ;) .
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.