MIDI Notes to switches - only toggle mode?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
benj_sp

MIDI Notes to switches - only toggle mode?

Post by benj_sp » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:56 pm

Hi guys,

I want to use MIDI notes to switch some features on and off (say, Beat Repeat "Repeat" function).

Currently, the only behaviour I can see is a toggle - hit the mapped note once to turn your control on, hit the note again to turn it off. Is it possible to have a GATE mode, or assign the note ons and note offs separately, so that when you hit/hold a note it turns Repeat on, and when I let go of the note if turns it off again?

This is much better for spontaneous jamming and you never get in a state where you don't know the current status of the control etc...

Cheers,

exaltron

Re: MIDI Notes to switches - only toggle mode?

Post by exaltron » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:26 pm

benj_sp wrote:Hi guys,

I want to use MIDI notes to switch some features on and off (say, Beat Repeat "Repeat" function).

Currently, the only behaviour I can see is a toggle - hit the mapped note once to turn your control on, hit the note again to turn it off. Is it possible to have a GATE mode, or assign the note ons and note offs separately, so that when you hit/hold a note it turns Repeat on, and when I let go of the note if turns it off again?

This is much better for spontaneous jamming and you never get in a state where you don't know the current status of the control etc...

Cheers,
Pff, I know!! I've been trying to figure a way to do this forever. Seems EVERYTHING in Live is toggle only, though why they can't add a "gate" option is beyond me. I know many people from Warper who have tried and failed. The only guy who figured out a solution was Moldover: he runs Live as a plugin in Reaktor.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:39 pm

I just assign midi cc#s instead - they gate, afai remember.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:41 pm

yeah send a CC it works for me for most stuff i have tried.
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

benj_sp

Post by benj_sp » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:30 am

Yeah, I know I can use CC's, I do already.

However, the *keyboard* on my controller gives me 37 extra switches - ie the keys, and I'd like to use them in other ways than playing melodies or triggering clips.

I'm trying to develop and maximise the fingertip control I have, hence the request, and it's a shame it's currently not possible, by the looks of it, without rigging up some intermediate MIDI driver/processor/host/etc.

Live is supposed to make things simpler, not *more* complicated... ;)

exaltron

midi translator?

Post by exaltron » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:22 pm

What about a translator to achieve this, I know a lot of people are using the Bome (PC only though, so no translator for me). I would think it could be configured to turn each depression/let-up into a toggle.

Anyone achieve this? Are there MIDI translators for Mac?

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:25 pm

using midipipe you can use a simple message converter to change note off into note on, that way when you hit the note it toggles the swich and when you release the note midipipe tells ableton that you're actually hitting the note for a second time.

it's somewhat useful.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

benj_sp

Post by benj_sp » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:39 am

I'll look into Midipipe, thanks for the link (I've downloaded it before, but I don't think I'd played with it..)

Edit: Ok, it seems to work well. I simply capture the notes coming in from my controller port, convert the note offs into note ons, and output them to an IAC driver, which is a "remote" port in Live, and it does the trick - note events are now effectively gates (ie, as soon as I let go on the note, the controlled switch turns off again.)

It's a bit of a pain to have the run the Midipipe utllity and load my script beforehand, and if you want to set up more complicated keyboard functionality where some things are toggles and some things are gate, it would require a more complicated MIDIpipe script (converting some notes, leaving others alone etc) - it would obviously be preferable to have this functionality in Live and stored with the set.

But most importantly it works, and offers some flexibility, so thanks for the tip!