Computer Music Ableton Live Special Issue

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fraq

Post by fraq » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:39 am

Thanks, resonatorman :wink:

djZen

Post by djZen » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:33 pm

still looking for it...they shouldve gotten it by now in Boulder CO

Eddee

Post by Eddee » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:00 pm

Somebody found this issue in the netherlands or Belgium? I live in Maastricht.

delag

maastricht!!! HOYA...

Post by delag » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:39 pm

AHHAH I lived there for almost 9 years...
fantastic town
I miss it

good luck finding the mag

Eddee

Post by Eddee » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:40 am

Delag, does your name sounds like a fashion designer?

delag

Post by delag » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:59 pm

hahaha... it sure does... witout the "l" and with an "h"

de la... Gauthier

Eddee

Post by Eddee » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:36 am

Your name is not forgotten here... Any plans to return for a couple of weeks? You are most welcome..

TY Floyd

Post by TY Floyd » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:42 pm

Computer Music also had a Live 5 magazine special issue last yer, with a black cover and Trackteam Live Fill on it. The one I want is the new one about Live 6.
I tried that pdf site but the files are corrupted.

resonatorman

Post by resonatorman » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:33 am

Hi Fraq & the other aussies.....
FYI: I finished the international version as featured on this post on Live 6. I checked back at the newsagent for the Oz version. They definitely have different content. The Oz version from what I could tell (i just browsed through it & didn't buy it) was geared around Live 5 with tutorials: getting started, making a track, making a mash up, simpler, impulse & operator + a few other things.

Which I would recommend? Well if you were starting out & wanting to get your head around Live then the local release would be the one to go with. However if you have been using Live for awhile & are into Live 6 then get the international version as it's all geared around 6 with some great tips.

Cheers
MBP 2.5ghz 4gb + Live 8.2.1 (Suite)

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:34 pm

i bought this issue and i got pretty disappointed.
most things they are covering are really simple basics, the tips and tricks that are more towards "advanced" users are imo still pretty basic.

infact, i was very disappointed.
the cd is a bonus though, other then that its a waste of cash imo.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:55 am

yepper for seppers............

It's a waste (er, except for the cd.......which I don't know about, but I'll gladly take others word for it......)

It's like this.....

"Hi, this is joe duck-mount, I'd like to introduce you to how to buy, activate and look at the graphics of live 6".........

It's all over central cali..........it actually needs to go.

btw, since "we" are so behind........how is the addictive drums review?

darcyb

Post by darcyb » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:46 pm

I picked one up last week at a B&N store. The arranging tutorial was a joke.

<sarcasm>
"Welcome to the arranging tutorial! Here we go!

1-Open up a song
2-Arrange your song
3-You're done!"

</sarcasm>

They literally wrote a paragraph saying that to arrange your song, you have to "arrange your song", and didn't say a single word about methods, techniques, construction, pattern alternating etc.

Maybe next time they'll write a tutorial on how to complete the tutorial.

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:27 pm

It really should be called 'The Beginners Guide To Live' - most of the useful or 'advanced' tutorials have been lifted off this forum!
..?

dCross

Post by dCross » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:52 pm

NorthernMonkey wrote:It really should be called 'The Beginners Guide To Live' - most of the useful or 'advanced' tutorials have been lifted off this forum!
They did lift the tips from the forum, but that was the point - they even credited the posters. You guys collectively come up with better tips than the non-forum public, so the point of that feature was to share some of these tips with someone who would be more inclined to read through a magazine instead of a forum.

Keep in mind the medium these people are working within - a 'special' issue has to cover all the bases, from beginner to advanced. In other words, it is simply impossible to please every single Live-using reader in a magazine format. Just look at the various opinions in this thread...
David Cross
Public Media Coordinator
Ableton Inc. (NYC)

cross@ableton.com

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:04 pm

dCross wrote:
NorthernMonkey wrote:It really should be called 'The Beginners Guide To Live' - most of the useful or 'advanced' tutorials have been lifted off this forum!
They did lift the tips from the forum, but that was the point - they even credited the posters. You guys collectively come up with better tips than the non-forum public, so the point of that feature was to share some of these tips with someone who would be more inclined to read through a magazine instead of a forum.

Keep in mind the medium these people are working within - a 'special' issue has to cover all the bases, from beginner to advanced. In other words, it is simply impossible to please every single Live-using reader in a magazine format. Just look at the various opinions in this thread...
I'm not saying it was a good or bad special, but it is possible to please users of differing knowledge - instead of trying to create one special that covers all users, create two or three that individually cover beginners, moderate and advanced users - at the very least target certain levels of users then at least you can decide whether it is for you or not. Having a moderate user buy a 'special' for a few pages of advanced tips that can be found on here for free is a little unfair.
..?