New Waldorf!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jngpng

Post by jngpng » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:35 pm

The specs of the Stromberg look great, but I don't like the interface on the render at all. It seems to be following the same school of thought as the Alesis Ion i.e. have knobs for common parameters but have everything else hidden in menu diving hell.

The Blofeld looks cool, and I may even pick one up if it's cheap. I miss the Waldorf sound since I sold my XT. However, the Blofeld's interface looks just as pointless as the Strombergs. According to the render, the matrix only gives you access to the most basic parameters. It seems you have to edit everything else through the menu or using a computer. I'd much rather they went a similar route with the matrix that Dave Smith did with the desktop Evolver. The Evo's matrix is at least useful for editing, as most parameters are accessible through there.
----------------
Macbook Pro, Fireface 400, Analog Shit

itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:25 pm

jngpng wrote:However, the Blofeld's interface looks just as pointless as the Strombergs. According to the render, the matrix only gives you access to the most basic parameters.
i wouldn't go as far as to call it pointless, but yeah, it definitely looks too simplistic. kind of like the microkorg. editing one of those is ok, but still a pain in the arse. and when you compare how many parameters are available in the matrix of that, or an evolver (or a waldorf pulse, for that matter), there just doesn't seem to be enough on the front of the blofeld, does there, meaning some things must be in menus and stuff? still, if it's tiny and cheap and has a classic waldorf sound, it'll be fine. and it has usb, too, right? so there will probably be a software editor/plugin like the virus?

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:54 pm

If you look at the last page, they are also (re-) releasing three plugins: PPG Wave, Attack drum synth and D-Pole filter.

subSonik

Post by subSonik » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:56 am

Michael-SW wrote:If you look at the last page, they are also (re-) releasing three plugins: PPG Wave, Attack drum synth and D-Pole filter.
Michael-SW wrote:If you look at the last page, they are also (re-) releasing three plugins: PPG Wave, Attack drum synth and D-Pole filter.

Would have been cool to see a new softie

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:06 pm

I just got the info from the company about the Blofeld, which is the Nano that was sold for CME but with reordered sound banks and improved sounds. Both designes outer and the sound by Hartmann (of Neuron).
Nano was almost unusable but the sounds were great, I mean tons of original, unusual fascinating sounds.
I doubt that the price could be any close to Nano, the fancy design costs and they are not made in chinese sweatshops.
Hope they will comission some more demos so can check one out soon. Nice to see they listened to the critic and suggestion, seems they got it abolutely right.
Originally they just wanted to make it simple compact midi module. I was suggesting that having option to integrate it over USB, like VST will make it more attractive since that is what people really like (at least me) getting the best of both worlds.
So lets hope it want be too expensive ( and that I get mine free and soon)

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:04 pm

the stromberg looks sweet

and of course the almighty Q

info_warfare

Post by info_warfare » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:07 pm

rikhyray wrote:I just got the info from the company about the Blofeld, which is the Nano that was sold for CME but with reordered sound banks and improved sounds. Both designes outer and the sound by Hartmann (of Neuron).
Nano was almost unusable but the sounds were great, I mean tons of original, unusual fascinating sounds.
I doubt that the price could be any close to Nano, the fancy design costs and they are not made in chinese sweatshops.
Hope they will comission some more demos so can check one out soon. Nice to see they listened to the critic and suggestion, seems they got it abolutely right.
Originally they just wanted to make it simple compact midi module. I was suggesting that having option to integrate it over USB, like VST will make it more attractive since that is what people really like (at least me) getting the best of both worlds.
So lets hope it want be too expensive ( and that I get mine free and soon)
Good to know Axel Hartmann is doing the designs. Incidently, he designed ALL the Waldorf synths in the past (before his Neuron) just in case some people didn't know...

minimal

Post by minimal » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:36 pm

info_warfare wrote:Good to know Axel Hartmann is doing the designs. Incidently, he designed ALL the Waldorf synths in the past (before his Neuron) just in case some people didn't know...
:twisted:
the guy collected then at least 2 bankrupts:
-waldorf (the second one, this is the third re-birth of waldorf)
-hartmann (the company who did the neuron)
:twisted:

still I love waldorf/hartmann sound, I'm thinking to get the Q+ with analog filters...

napalmskatterjazz

Post by napalmskatterjazz » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:39 pm

Where is that funky orange.... they re-released the attack plug too, thats a fun ping machine.
It seems most companies are taking away a lot of my knobs, just having "important parameters" with assigned knobs. damnit I want everything to look like a mad doepfer board, just endless knobs. But it makes everything easier for those who dont really know their way around a synth. (may i suggest something like the Aurturia ARP or Moog to learn how to use patch cables and synth routings).
2.0Ghz Coreduo PC notebook, 4GB ram, Overclocked to hell sittin on aluminum extra fans w/ no drivebay or pcmcia...
2.8Ghz Quadcore on Asus MB, 4GBRam, Dual 512MB SLI Graphics both @16x.

4am

Post by 4am » Fri May 11, 2007 12:41 pm

does someone has more info about the bloofeld?
it is due to come out in june here in switzerland
i was wondering if someone has already tested it....

sqook

Post by sqook » Fri May 11, 2007 12:55 pm

4am wrote:does someone has more info about the bloofeld?
it is due to come out in june here in switzerland
i was wondering if someone has already tested it....
I played around with one at the Musikmesse Frankfurt... it's still in development, and had lots of bugs, mostly noticable in the menu system and screen display. The knobs also felt a bit cheap... kinda wiggly and a bit loose. The sounds were ok, but nothing really new or exciting, imo... it's basically just a rebranded micro-q.

However, it's important to note that these were demo versions of the synth and may not reflect the actual end product. Either way, I haven't pre-ordered one. ;)

sqook

Post by sqook » Fri May 11, 2007 1:03 pm

Oh yeah, on an unrelated sidenote which is probably only funny to german speakers around here, I've heard colleagues of mine start referring to this synth as the "klofeld". ;)

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Fri May 11, 2007 5:51 pm

sqook wrote:Oh yeah, on an unrelated sidenote which is probably only funny to german speakers around here, I've heard colleagues of mine start referring to this synth as the "klofeld". ;)
That`s good one, really mean, I will definitely tease Waldorf guys next time I see them.

Strauzzie

Post by Strauzzie » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:20 pm

bump.. over half a year later, and nothing? Has anyone heard anything? Will they be back at Winter NAMM this year with the same models "coming soon"?

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:28 pm

All I know is I still want a Waldorf Wave... played one at Amptown in Hamburg years ago, that sucker was huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.....
ethios4 wrote:One thing to remember is that you will probably never ever get to experience your own music the way you experience other people's music.
http://www.myspace.com/kristallin