Live 6 Power! Published on Jan 31, 2007

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nebulae

Live 6 Power! Published on Jan 31, 2007

Post by nebulae » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:03 pm

Last edited by nebulae on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:19 pm

Hey, cool...You may wish to make it 2007 however. :wink:

Should be cool as there is so much to cover now, especially with racks.
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:21 pm

Thanks for the correction. Fixed :)

Yeah, it's 450+ pages, and I don't think it's all newbie stuff, so it'll be a good book.

ekko

Post by ekko » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:37 pm

I've yet to read one of the "Power!" books that wasn't a simple rehashing of the manual. i hate them.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:40 pm

But then judging by the plurality of your statement, you keep reading them.

ekko

Post by ekko » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:37 pm

I bought the one for Reason 2.5 and Live 4. Hoping for the best, and after the hoo-haa it got here on the forum, I also purchased the one for Live 5. Returned it to Amazon after I realized it was just as useless as 4.

Newecho

Re: Live 6 Power! Published on Jan 31, 2007

Post by Newecho » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:55 pm

Weird that this wasn't written by Chad Carrier who wrote the version 5 edition. Chad works for M-Audio who used to distribute Live.

The bio for the new author, RD White, makes no mention of Live experience. In fact, White works for Native Instruments and the bio mentions Traktor twice!
Odd for the publisher to pick an employee who works for the competition to write the Power book. I can only assume White knows Live really well and the bio does not reflect this.
http://www.markmoshermusic.com

Live 8 Suite;HP DV6; Novation Remote SL, Launchpad, Tenori-On White, AudioCubes, Moog Etherwave Theremin;Alchemy,Sylenth1,Absynth,ACE,Synplant,Harmles,Gladiator 2,Dimension Pro...

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:59 pm

NI are the competition ?...how do you figure that, old bean ?

seems to me they're perfect partners. One makes a host, the other makes instruments.

I must be missing something ?
spreader of butter

Newecho

Post by Newecho » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:05 pm

b0unce wrote:NI are the competition ?...how do you figure that, old bean ?

seems to me they're perfect partners. One makes a host, the other makes instruments.

I must be missing something ?
I meant Traktor is in competition with Ableton live for DJing software.
Native Instruments instruments are in competition with Ableton's.

Of course, all these software tools compliment each other, but both companies are in competition for your bucks.

Live 8 Suite;HP DV6; Novation Remote SL, Launchpad, Tenori-On White, AudioCubes, Moog Etherwave Theremin;Alchemy,Sylenth1,Absynth,ACE,Synplant,Harmles,Gladiator 2,Dimension Pro...

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:14 pm

I think thats a big stretch of the imagination.

traktor & live are different enough that they're not really in competition with one another.

ableton make a host, NI make instruments. Zero competition, infact they have an almost symbiotic relationship. the more money ableton make, the greater the chances NI have of selling more instruments.
spreader of butter

Newecho

Post by Newecho » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:25 pm

b0unce wrote:I think thats a big stretch of the imagination.

traktor & live are different enough that they're not really in competition with one another.

ableton make a host, NI make instruments. Zero competition, infact they have an almost symbiotic relationship. the more money ableton make, the greater the chances NI have of selling more instruments.
Ableton makes instruments (sampler and operator). So, if I have limited bucks and I buy an instrument from NI instead of Ableton, Ableton does not get the money.

Regardless of how different Traktor and Ablton are, they can both be used by DJs as a main app. If I have limited bucks, and I buy Traktor and not Live, then Ableton does not get the money.

This means in some market segments, they are in fact in competition regardless of whether the products have the potential to compliment each other or not.

No point going back and forth on this really - my real point was does RD White know Live or not? You can't tell from the bio because the bio reads more like an NI ad. It's like buying a book on Sonar written from someone who is an expert on Cubase. I'm sure the dude rocks. Just wanted to point out that the bio seemed odd.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:33 am

You mofos have hijacked my thread!

Newecho

Post by Newecho » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:08 am

nebulae wrote:You mofos have hijacked my thread!
I apologize. Just trying to have a discussion about the author and the publisher's bio and agree things got off track.

Now about that book...

genshi

Re: Live 6 Power! Published on Jan 31, 2007

Post by genshi » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:21 am

Newecho wrote:
Weird that this wasn't written by Chad Carrier who wrote the version 5 edition. Chad works for M-Audio who used to distribute Live.

The bio for the new author, RD White, makes no mention of Live experience. In fact, White works for Native Instruments and the bio mentions Traktor twice!
Odd for the publisher to pick an employee who works for the competition to write the Power book. I can only assume White knows Live really well and the bio does not reflect this.
Here's the scoop:

Chad co-wrote the Live 4 Power book with Dave HIll of Ableton (and there's a picture of me on page 15 playing the Theremin!). At the same time I wrote the Live 4 CSi Master CD-ROM (same publisher.) I had turned Chad on to Live at version 3 (I've been using it since 1.5) But Chad is BRILLIANT and took to it more than anyone I know and knows it more than anyone outside of the Abes.

Chad also did Live 5 power and pretty much rewrote the entire thing (I know, I was there.) He most likely didn't do 6 because he was WAY to busy creating Trigger Finger, Torq, Exponent and about 15 other "secret" projects for M-Audio (and that book writing shit takes up way too much time!)

RD White used to work with us at M-Audio but he left for NI (and I don't think he is at NI anymore either and I am no longer at M-Audio) and is a fairly prominent Glitch artist with his own label and a good guy. From what I remember RD got into Live late in the game (version 4 or 5?) but he too took to it quite quickly and uses it on an almost nightly basis in his performances.
Last edited by genshi on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:22 am

shut the fuck up bounce :roll:
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.