who creates art in areas other than music?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
smutek

Post by smutek » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:47 pm

slatepipe wrote:re: screen printing

what do you reckon to robert rauschenberg?
i like his stuff a lot, i dont know why. but often i just look at his stuff and i am awed by it

To be honest I've never heard of him, but am going to check him out.

I just got into screen-printing this year, about 3 or 4 months ago when I was hired for my current job. It's been a bit of a tough learning curve as there has been nobody to train me. When I got hired I told my boss that although I'd been doing graphics for a while I knew absolutely nothing about screen-printing. He was like "no problem, we will get you up to speed".

Getting me up to speed consisted of "here's your work station, figure it out and good luck".... seriously.

But its no big deal because I have learned a lot on my own and am definitely enjoying it. One thing I have found is that learning resources, both printed and online, seem to be really scarce. I've been looking for anything that will help me with regards to actually creating the art (I use Illustrator and Photoshop) - and most importantly how the art I create is going to translate to film, to the screens, and finally to the press. I'm generally too busy to watch the process, and as soon as I've handed the film off to the screen burner it's back to my desk and on to the next project. Then I see how things turn out, and it's usually not exactly as I visioned it, but it's generally not a big enough deal to start over - the job runs and I'm left wondering why my gradients drop off so abruptly, or why my 30% halftones look more like 50%..... etc. And since nobody in my company is computer literate, especially regarding design applications, there is nobody to teach me technique and little time to learn on my own.

And I want to master it, when I get my own press I'll be able to really delve into it you know?

So yeah, sorry for the rambling post. I'll check out rauschenberg, and if you have any learning resources let me know.

peace

aMUSEd

Re: who creates art in areas other than music?

Post by aMUSEd » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:59 pm

slatepipe wrote:making music aside, who here makes art in other areas?

anyone paint? sculpt? make films? anything else?

show me some pictures/details. i'm interested

cheers
Me

(check my sig)

eturnol

Post by eturnol » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:19 am

wow aaron you are realy really talented. are you signed to a label?

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:30 am

hi smutek

theres plenty of stuff about him on the net:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Rauschenberg

http://www.getpopart.com/cgi-bin/pop-ar ... pe=gallery

2 links i found, screen printing is just a bit of what he does though

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:51 pm

Street art Stickers!