Is tech at a stalemate?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Stalemate in our field of desire?

yes
47%
no
53%

Total votes: 19

binarywords

Post by binarywords » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:49 pm

Remember Sasha's Maven?
myspace.com/mrirez

D K

Post by D K » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:31 pm

it's not stale-mate, it's infancy.
the medium of digital audio being used in a truly easily manipulated (and i do mean accessible) format is really only a few years old.
the user interface is really up in the air, as stated before, since there are so many ways to approach use of the medium....

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:20 pm

The new Numark controllers ICDx and DMC2 won't be using midi - numark is switching to HID controllers!

This is like the biggest news of the season, for me. Serato already supports it, so they are making a proper statement with this move. This means we'll get way lower latencies, a lot higher resolution, and a lot more data transfer, like for displays and so on.

The minute they hit the shelves in the Danish music store I will be there to review one or both of these, and how they work through MaxMSP ! Woohaa!

This is an unexpected move for me - HID works out of the box with a lot of the cool software, and development tools for it have been around since god knows when, so the other players might pick up on it quite quickly.
Good thinking on Numarks part - a bold move.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

rajcoont

Post by rajcoont » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:33 pm

minimal wrote:
sqook wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:We need more MIDI keyboards!!!!
There is not enough choice.
I disagree. I think what the world needs is more cheesy, fake-retro gear. :)
with stupid tubes in it labeled "warm sounding"
you all deserve to be happy

http://www.line6.com/toneport/keyboards.html

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:57 pm

Machinate wrote: This is an unexpected move for me - HID works out of the box with a lot of the cool software, and development tools for it have been around since god knows when, so the other players might pick up on it quite quickly.
Good thinking on Numarks part - a bold move.
that is interesting. Wireless USB/HID is also tried and true, so there are immediately some interesting possibilities there as well.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:33 am

So, contollers still rule the "want" list.....and why not?

Most controller (at least what we have here in the states) SUCK DINGLE DONKEY DOO DOO!

For me, I'd think there are some fundamental "duhs"...........

Actual control of at the very least..major software controls. Yep, there are a couple who "claim it" but none I'm aware of that deliver.

Reliability, sheesh! What a concept :roll:

I think it should have the contollers and keys combined...some disagree. I want semi weighted keys and pads (axiom style, without the trashy breakages) and mackie style controls......if you know what I mean. :wink:

reasonable cost. this does not mean "cheap" it means reasonable. For example, the remote sl 37 price might not be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that by-and-large it DOES NOT WORK! So, if it did what they said it did, 500 bucks seems reasonable to me.

Now, more discussion.....

darclex

it feels like its close, and yet so far away...

Post by darclex » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:19 am

with the coming and going of namm '07, the near future seems like it's only been charted out but not set in stone.

for instance, is anyone else surprised that NI actually came out with an interface before they came out with a midi (usb) controller? numark is taking over (kinda; i think).

a non-recognized company comes out of nowhere, Cortex, to offer soon the dmix-600. this 'console' coupled with traktor scratch seems like all i would need to pull off a cool gig.

but what i really want is a RANE usb/ midi controller designed for serato but open enough for traktor, or live. that's it. two decks, four band eq, multiple cue points, multiple loop points... like torq xponent but not m-audio build quality.

to speak on the current strategy of rane...

it's been know that rane is a hardware company first. which begs the question 'why is RANE letting all these other companies tread on it's territory?' for which i have a theory.

Rane has in development a new serato building off the ttm57 sl, a new hardware controller for serato but will be open to other dj mixing softwares and daws. you know, just to bring the whole damn industry back to the standard it was once at.

i've seen vestax's controller and i've considered the xponent, the NI traktor scratch, rane serato scrath live.

i need rane build, torq dj-oriented flexibility, traktors integration with beatport and rewire to live in both my hardware and my software.

until these conditions are met, i'm holding my breathe until the next big conference.

jahnlay

Post by jahnlay » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:21 am

There could definitely be some better designed Ableton controllers. How hard could it be for some R&D guys to read through these forums and see what we want and then design and build it?
"It's better to burn out than to fade away!"

robin

Post by robin » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:30 am

jahnlay wrote:There could definitely be some better designed Ableton controllers. How hard could it be for some R&D guys to read through these forums and see what we want and then design and build it?
He does. Mathias@Faderfox? :)

Actually the dm01 (Danny Mac's controller, to be produced by Kenton) looks to be interesting from a DJ controller perspective.

jahnlay

Post by jahnlay » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:40 am

Yea, Mathias is one of the few, would be nice to have the three controllers in one unit, powered by USB.
"It's better to burn out than to fade away!"

robin

Post by robin » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:43 am

jahnlay wrote:Yea, Mathias is one of the few, would be nice to have the three controllers in one unit, powered by USB.
Yeah, LC2 and LD2 in a slightly better layout.

As it is I might replace my UC17 and LV1 setup with that anyway. I think I might wait a little while first though.

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:29 pm

eyeknow wrote:For example, the remote sl 37 price might not be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that by-and-large it DOES NOT WORK! So, if it did what they said it did, 500 bucks seems reasonable to me.
What's up with it? Been thinking about one of these recently...
OS X, Live 9, Microbook II

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:02 pm

jahnlay wrote:There could definitely be some better designed Ableton controllers. How hard could it be for some R&D guys to read through these forums and see what we want and then design and build it?
I like my Frontier Tranzport, and the AlphaTrack looks good, too:

http://www.frontierdesign.com/Products/AlphaTrack
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

deva

Post by deva » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:35 pm

hoffman2k wrote:We need more MIDI keyboards!!!!
There is not enough choice.
Yes, we do need more midi keyboards... on the high end. One with Poly AT, and breath control, and built solid with great key action.

bynoe

This would have been sweet

Post by bynoe » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:36 pm

I waited ages to get this and then it never came out

It was meant to have come out in 2001. Now at the time it would have been massive. imho