MIDI Remote: Select clip?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
robbmasters

MIDI Remote: Select clip?

Post by robbmasters » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:35 pm

I'm setting myself up a new MIDI remote configuration (in Live 5.2) to try to free myself from my keyboard and mouse as much as possible - and to work out exactly what hardware controller I need to be able to do everything I want to be able to do.

In doing so, I've noticed that using a MIDI controller to select a scene, and MIDI buttons to select a track, does not have the same effect as using my laptop's keyboard cursor keys to do so.

When I use the laptop's keyboard cursor keys, the clip at the intersection of track and scene is automatically selected - it appears in the clip display and can be fired by simply hitting return.

However, when I use a MIDI controller to changes scene, and MIDI buttons to select a track, the clip at the intersection of track and scene is not automatically selected - it does not appear in the clip display and hitting return fires the currently selected clip (which may be in a completely different scene and track).

So how can I select a clip via MIDI - so that it displays in the clip display (and would be fired by hitting return)?

Also is there any way I can do the equivalent of hitting return via MIDI, or do I really need a play button for every track?

And what's the point of being able to select a track via MIDI anyway? Is it only useful if you have different VSTis and want to be able to switch between them (assuming it would even actually achieve that - I can't test that at the moment as I don't have a MIDI keyboard handy, just a "key-less" controller).

It seems that either I'm missing something really obvious. Or Live is...
OS X, Live 9, Microbook II

compositeone

Re: MIDI Remote: Select clip?

Post by compositeone » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:40 pm

robbmasters wrote:
So how can I select a clip via MIDI - so that it displays in the clip display (and would be fired by hitting return)?

Also is there any way I can do the equivalent of hitting return via MIDI, or do I really need a play button for every track?
I would be very interested in an answer to this too.... :?
http://www.myspace.com/compositeswerve

"So what kind of music do you make?"
"Both kinds...... drum and bass."

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:28 am

Ihave a belikin Nostromo Speed PAd That I use for this.

not midi
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:32 am

Thanks, but I really want to do it via MIDI.

And once I've found out how to do it via MIDI, I'll want to know how to select the loop for that clip via MIDI so that I can modify it using CTRL-Up and CTRL-Down, etc.; and then I'll want to know how to do CTRL-Up and CTRL-Down, etc. via MIDI too... ;)

I can see I may be needing Bome's Midi Translator...

Is MIDI Remote in Live really as limited as it seems? There appear to be loads of things you can do with the mouse and / or the keyboard that you would naturally want to do via MIDI, but can't?

Unless I'm missing something fundamental....

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:40 am

Am I wrong or are you looking for the play button that appears for every track when you activate "midi learn"?
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:51 am

You're wrong. ;)

I don't want to launch the clip, I just want to select it. I can do this with the keyboard cursor keys, as described above. But apparently not with MIDI.

If you move around session view with the cursor keys, then the highlighted clip (and the one shown in the clip view) changes as you do so.

However, if you move around session view via MIDI, e.g. with a knob (or buttons) for changing scenes and buttons for changing track, then the highlighted clip (and the one shown in the clip view) does not change as you do so.

Other than launching a clip (which I may not want to do until I've set its start, end, loop start and/or loop end) I can't find a way to select it via MIDI.

I can't even simply turn that track down to launch it silently, as something else may be playing in that track.

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:46 am

I too would be interested in learning how to do that :!:
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:21 pm

robbmasters wrote:You're wrong. ;)
Yeah, this is what I thought, I couldnt imagine you didn´t know about that button...

So +1 for

"I´d like to know that, too"
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody

spherop

Post by spherop » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:47 pm

+1 - going through similar larning curve on what can/can't be controlled via midi.