Will Live 6 Power! book be worth buying?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Will the Live 6 Power! book be worth buying?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:53 pm

Yes — I Can't Wait For It
24%
No — These Things Are For Noobs and Noobs Alone
24%
Maybe — I'm Reserving Judgement
53%

Total votes: 17

Naive Teen Idol

Will Live 6 Power! book be worth buying?

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:53 pm

I really want to know. Thus far, I've been a bit disappointed by the Ableton movies and tutorials. While clear and well-produced, they don't really give you any kind of advanced insights into Live. Even a cursory look at the Tips and Tricks forum here gives users an idea of the incredible power of the program. But even with stickies and so forth, it's a bit...decentralized (though much appreciated!).

So, will it be worth it? And is it really going to be released on 1/31/07? Amazon doesn't give a date — at least not anymore...
MacBook 2 GHz Intel CoreDuo, 2GB RAM, Live 6.10, Reason 4.01, Reaktor 5.14, Novation Remote SL 25, GForce Oddity, TimewARP 2600, Arturia CS-80V 2, UC-33e, M-Audio FastTrack Pro, Roland Jupiter 6 w Europa mod

Joshua Boden

Post by Joshua Boden » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:33 pm

I have bought the book for versions 4 & 5....and I dont see the point in buying any more of their books. Not that the books suck, they are actaully very helpfull. But the differents between the two books was minimal. The same publisher put out another book called laptop music I think, thats also worth the cash.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:28 am

Hi. I have 4 and 5. If I didn't I would grab 6. I will probably grab 8. If you have none, I would grab 6. Can't hurt. Will probably help tons.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:44 am

I think with racks, deep freeze, and a couple of other goodies the live power/ignite/etc will be really good.

I was thinking about the newest vid of live 6...but when I see things like "installation" or introduction....I'm thinking......15 for the book ......not 50 for the download!

MartinOM28V

Post by MartinOM28V » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:24 am

I'm gonna check out what it has to say about Sampler and Racks. If it's got anything more insightful than the Abes manual, I'll buy it for that alone. Probably half of books like this are pure fluff, but there's no question the Ableton manual doesn't really do Sampler or racks much justice.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:42 am

When I first saw this, I thought COOL, Ableton have teamed up with Apple to make a funky tricked out Mac laptop in Ableton livery, like the Acer Ferrrari notebooks.... then I realized it was about the tutorial books ... downer :( !!

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:47 am

LOFA wrote:Hi. I have 4 and 5. If I didn't I would grab 6. If you have none, I would grab 6. Can't hurt. Will probably help tons.
That's what I plan to do. Is it better than the "official" printed manual?
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

iterate

Post by iterate » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:07 am

I got it from Amazon yesterday. I already had the Live 5 Power! book, but I thought I'd spring for the 6 version just for the Racks and Sampler stuff. So far, the Racks coverage is fairly basic. You won't learn any super-advanced Racks coolness from it. You'll get more from the Tips & Tricks Forum here (if you dig around). Haven't more than skimmed the Sampler section, but it looks about the same (good and solid, but not for advanced info).

That being said, the book is a really SOLID overview of Live 6. I learned a LOT from the Live 5 edition last year (I'd only been a dabbler with Live before that), and I imagine I'll pick up enough from the new one to make it worth my $24.

Steven

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:56 am

but yer saying that in allot of ways it's like the other POWER/IGNITE books in that it possibly lacks "beef"?

I had considered this......my concern is for the money....are they covering too much basic stuff.......?

http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/abletonLive6

PEAVLEY

macprovideo

Post by PEAVLEY » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:15 am

I've just been watching the video.I like the way it's presented,the mouse arrow is circled so it makes for easy viewing,instead of trying to work out where the arrows gone to all the time.I would say Martin Delaney (tutor) covers all the bases in a clear and concise way, and in a way that is not to dry as to be boring, as so many tutorials are.He does show you audio and midi routings and sub mixs, but in a broad outline,enough though beyond the basics to, I think be a usefull reference video .
If you do download it like I did (approx 45 mins 4mb broadband connection)
You'll need Quicktime 7.The free Quicktime works ok.Just make sure you install Quicktime in the default folder.The N.E.D. programme won't work otherwise.

Naive Teen Idol

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:25 pm

That video seems good.

I just bought Live 6 Power — obviously, I've just begin to dig into it, but on the whole, it does seem a bit...basic. Esp. when you see some of the racks folks here have put together in the Tips and Tricks section, you'd think that there'd be more advanced-type suggestions, though the book does have a few at the end. I suspect at the end of the day, it'll be money well spent, but I still get the sense that we've just explored the tip of the iceberg with Live 6's power...
MacBook 2 GHz Intel CoreDuo, 2GB RAM, Live 6.10, Reason 4.01, Reaktor 5.14, Novation Remote SL 25, GForce Oddity, TimewARP 2600, Arturia CS-80V 2, UC-33e, M-Audio FastTrack Pro, Roland Jupiter 6 w Europa mod