Evolution UC-33e or similar

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
compositeone

Evolution UC-33e or similar

Post by compositeone » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:38 pm

So I already have a padKONTROL and loving it but I need something to compliment it in the sliders and pots department. I noticed the Evolution UC-33e in the Ableton shop and thought it was fairly well priced and looks like it would do the job.

Was just wondering what peoples experience of using it are like?

And does any one have any suggestions for alternatives?
http://www.myspace.com/compositeswerve

"So what kind of music do you make?"
"Both kinds...... drum and bass."

microlive

Re: Evolution UC-33e or similar

Post by microlive » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:50 pm

I had one for a couple months & thought it was great!!!

I know the M-Audio / Evolution stuff gets a lot of flak around here, but in the case of the UC33-e, i don't think you can complain too much. The Faders & Rotarys feel pretty solid & if it's general mapping to some of Live's parameters you're after, then i'd say look no further!

deckme(N)tal

Post by deckme(N)tal » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:51 pm

if you just need a lot of knobs and sliders UC33 is the best you can get....it does the work done no problem!
Do you will use it to tweak soft-synths at home or for live djing? i use it for both and it is quiet handy...

compositeone

Post by compositeone » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:03 pm

What ever I get would need to satisfy tweaking instruments, helping me do a mix down etc in the studio environment, but then also be suitable to do a similar job "on stage" as it were. I want to use it to perform my music by live sequencing/tweaking rather than a "DJ" set.

I'm not bothered by M-Audio as I have the firewire410 and its been great for me.
http://www.myspace.com/compositeswerve

"So what kind of music do you make?"
"Both kinds...... drum and bass."

deckme(N)tal

Post by deckme(N)tal » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:10 pm

i guess that in conjunction with the padkontrol is fine.
You can use the Padkontrol to fire clips etc. live and the uc33 to tweak volumes etc..
I have got my uc33 set like this for live djing:
4 faders to 4 channel volumes
3 knobs for each fader to hi-mid and low eqs.
and the other knobs for fx and sends...
the only problem i have got with uc33 is that the knobs are completely black. You have to paint a little white line on top of them to be able to understand their position in the dark...
Anyway it seems it can suit well you needs in conjunction with the padkontrol...
Building quality is standard as the other miriad of plastic midi controllers... :roll: