novation zero sl - how you feelin

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spherop

novation zero sl - how you feelin

Post by spherop » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:29 pm

i am considering this piece as a centerpiece to remote control of live. i have a nice midi keyboard and a trigger finger and a fcb1010 floor unit. i am looking for the most flexible control (at a reasonable cost) of live in particular tweaking paramaters per track/plugins/sends etc.

interested in hearing from people who use it and from those who have chosen something else instead for similar purposes.

djc

Post by djc » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:38 pm

well i've had mine for 2 weeks now and so far i like it but it isn't fully at it potential for the automaps. i can't wait to see the new universal automap when it is released. if you can't afford a mackie universal or anything like it with a screen its the best cheapest controller to me. i want to do a mackie emulation but i want a full emulation with the screen if its possible. the ableton live automap lacks compared to other application to me. if they had support for cm labs motormix it would be between the two. hope this helps you out.
http://www.youtube.com/djcoolssm
http://www.twitter.com/coolssm

Live 8, E-mu 1616m, Emu Px-7, Krk Rp-5's, Ventura guitar, Korg D1200, Emax keyboard, many plugins, intel quad core q6600 processor, WinXP Pro, 500b hd, and 2gb's of ram.

joesapo

Post by joesapo » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:37 pm

go for it. love mine - and everybody has one so you'll get lots of support.

bradelectro

Post by bradelectro » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:52 am

Dope. Not as plug'n'play and out-the-box as Novation makes it sound, but not hard to get going the way you want it. The weighted keys are not often mentioned but they def. make me play better!

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:42 am

i had the zero

it felt incomplete without the joystick, touch pad and the keys so i took it back and paid the difference to get keys and all

the unit itself rocks

the software/automap and all is cool and amazing you wont be disappointed overalll

the only 2 comments i have is that the faders on the mixer r a lil too short for my liking and that there is no xfader (the touchpad isnt the best xfader).

thats about it

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:49 am

^^^'

Although it has been said (not by me, I don't have one) that the short faders are great for certain things, like quick tweaking of mapped parameters, where an encoder's not fast enough.

Maybe not the best for a slow fade...