Richard Dawkins: The God Delusion.

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Needs2Know
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:16 pm
Contact:

Post by Needs2Know » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:12 pm

Remember JonesTown? That guy was a loonatic. And the people who followed him were not crazy they just wanted to beleive in something. But who suffered in the end but the people who followed the crazy guy. You see people blame religion for things people do. I choose to beleive in God not because I go to church(which I dont) and some guy told me too. But because its a choice. And God bless those sceptics out there. I'm all for sitting down with an athiest and sharring information. But I think that Athiest can beleive just as strongly and with just as much emotion about the nature of a human being as a radical Muslim or a Samari Warrior, or the Pope.

The question all of us should be asking ourselves is: At what point would we let our beliefes whatever they are, cause us to harm another fellow human being.


I saw this thing on UTube the other day. These five yeppies went out on an African safari to shoot some animals and they came across a Male lion. They all had high powered rifles with scopes. The lion was pacing for some reason, probably protecting his family(doing his job). He must have been about 100 yards away. The first guy shot off a round and hit the lion. You could see the lion fall down behind the grass and you hear this growl let out. The lion jumps back up and starts charging the group. At about 30 yards a few more rounds sound off probably hitting the lion, and the lion jumps up and knocks down one of the wanna be hunters to the ground. The lion tumbles down and a few more shots ring off. The lion runs off at about 30 to 50 yards when one final shot puts him down.

People like this exist in the world. And I have to share this planet with them. At the end of the day all I have is the comfort that I am not like them. Not because of my religious beleives. But because of who I am. NO. Who I choose to be. I choose to live in harmony with other people, animals and mother earth. These things are really important.

Religion is just a word.

pilcrow
Posts: 506
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:26 pm

Post by pilcrow » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:24 pm

shtreimel wrote:If it reaches 100 pages, it'll may indicate that folks enjoy talking about God more than they do creating music :?
:) Judging from the activity on this forum, folks would rather discuss anything than spend time creating music.

Angstrom
Posts: 14678
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Post by Angstrom » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:55 pm

Ha, I'd much rather be doing music.

right now the things I am doing are

1: trying to track down a Thawte certificate which has gone into a corporate mail spamhole
2: transfer a domain to a VPS, but no-one in the client company knows who bought the domain so therefore no-one has the login
3: draft a contract for a retainer and service agreement
4: edit the 'A' records on a zone file for a domain that is split over 3 servers.


posting here is preferable to all of them, but it falls far below music.

not everyone here is a schoolie or on the dole, some of us have to pretend to work for a living

NorthernMonkey
Posts: 1098
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:05 pm
Location: UK

Post by NorthernMonkey » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:12 pm

Angstrom wrote:Ha, I'd much rather be doing music.

right now the things I am doing are

1: trying to track down a Thawte certificate which has gone into a corporate mail spamhole
2: transfer a domain to a VPS, but no-one in the client company knows who bought the domain so therefore no-one has the login
3: draft a contract for a retainer and service agreement
4: edit the 'A' records on a zone file for a domain that is split over 3 servers.


posting here is preferable to all of them, but it falls far below music.

not everyone here is a schoolie or on the dole, some of us have to pretend to work for a living
Ditto, posting on here relieves the boredom of work. I'm currently:

1. Supporting and managing the Indian development outsourcing (although we're not supposed to say 'outsourcing' as we're all 'one big happy family');
2. Writing a UAT support tool to allow the support team to manage binding redirects properly (the fact that the release packages they receive are shite doesn't seem to matter, just deal with effect, not the cause);
3. Writing a proposal for continuous integration, code analysis and unit testing (it'll never happen);
4. Trying to convince an architect that using .NET remoting is a bad idea (in one ear, out the other).

I've been pretending to work for a living for over ten years now, and it's boiled down to either posting on here or extended lunchtime meetings in the pub.
..?

shtreimel
Posts: 476
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am

Post by shtreimel » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:51 pm

NorthernMonkey wrote: I've been pretending to work for a living for over ten years now, a
Dear Lord...if someone...somewhere...would only pay me to post messages on bb's.

elemental
Posts: 930
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:42 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Post by elemental » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:05 pm

Needs2Know wrote: I choose to live in harmony with other people, animals and mother earth. These things are really important.

Religion is just a word.
I think thats the bottom line, for me at least.

Tone Deft
Posts: 23658
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:01 pm

pilcrow wrote:
shtreimel wrote:If it reaches 100 pages, it'll may indicate that folks enjoy talking about God more than they do creating music :?
:) Judging from the activity on this forum, folks would rather discuss anything than spend time creating music.
:roll:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 991#446991
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

pilcrow
Posts: 506
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:26 pm

Post by pilcrow » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:42 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
pilcrow wrote:
shtreimel wrote:If it reaches 100 pages, it'll may indicate that folks enjoy talking about God more than they do creating music :?
:) Judging from the activity on this forum, folks would rather discuss anything than spend time creating music.
:roll:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 991#446991
Hey! Unfair! I'm avoiding work, not music! :)

Tone Deft
Posts: 23658
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:45 pm

pilcrow wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:
pilcrow wrote: :) Judging from the activity on this forum, folks would rather discuss anything than spend time creating music.
:roll:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 991#446991
Hey! Unfair! I'm avoiding work, not music! :)
lmfao!!

+1!!!

God forbid we would ever work for the same company, we'd go bankrupt in a week.
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

pilcrow
Posts: 506
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:26 pm

Post by pilcrow » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:49 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
pilcrow wrote:
Hey! Unfair! I'm avoiding work, not music! :)
lmfao!!

+1!!!

God forbid we would ever work for the same company, we'd go bankrupt in a week.
:) I know, I know. Trust me. The internet has had a seriously detrimental effect that way! And I'm not proud of it!

corygilbert
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:37 pm
Location: kyoto, japan
Contact:

Post by corygilbert » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:33 pm

yeah, it's probably a firable rule at the Abelton headquarters to be caught surfing this forum.
If it's not then were fuck outta luck with live 7 :D
except for amaury, that guy is like an angel of mercy on some threads that actually involve using this program.
Also, if you log onto this forum during the weekend, the traffic is wayyyy less.
I think a lot of us are just slagging off at work, which i consider admirable.
unless you work making music, in which case "get back to work"
like I will now that i'm off and can go play some tunes :twisted:

NorthernMonkey
Posts: 1098
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:05 pm
Location: UK

Post by NorthernMonkey » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:43 pm

shtreimel wrote:
NorthernMonkey wrote: I've been pretending to work for a living for over ten years now, a
Dear Lord...if someone...somewhere...would only pay me to post messages on bb's.
Keep praying my friend, keep praying, he might hear you one day :wink:
Me? I just grab it without asking.
..?

shtreimel
Posts: 476
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am

Post by shtreimel » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:36 pm

NorthernMonkey wrote:
shtreimel wrote:
NorthernMonkey wrote: I've been pretending to work for a living for over ten years now, a
Dear Lord...if someone...somewhere...would only pay me to post messages on bb's.
Keep praying my friend, keep praying, he might hear you one day :wink:
Me? I just grab it without asking.
One might say He DID hear my prayers, because it's quite clear that I spend a lot of time here...from Mon-Fri. Although Jewish law would consider this "stealing" as I'm not doing what I'm being paid to do. On Yom Kippur, I fast for sins like this. Alas, I fast for many things I'm not willing to do much about :oops:

NorthernMonkey
Posts: 1098
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:05 pm
Location: UK

Post by NorthernMonkey » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:58 pm

shtreimel wrote:
NorthernMonkey wrote:
shtreimel wrote: Dear Lord...if someone...somewhere...would only pay me to post messages on bb's.
Keep praying my friend, keep praying, he might hear you one day :wink:
Me? I just grab it without asking.
One might say He DID hear my prayers, because it's quite clear that I spend a lot of time here...from Mon-Fri. Although Jewish law would consider this "stealing" as I'm not doing what I'm being paid to do. On Yom Kippur, I fast for sins like this. Alas, I fast for many things I'm not willing to do much about :oops:
Well thank god (!) for Yom Kippur, at least it gives you a get-out-of-jail-free card for your spot in heaven. I'll be lucky if I get a decent spot in hell.
..?

BoimB son of BoB
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:14 am
Location: Brussels

Post by BoimB son of BoB » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:58 pm

NorthernMonkey wrote:
shtreimel wrote:
NorthernMonkey wrote: Keep praying my friend, keep praying, he might hear you one day :wink:
Me? I just grab it without asking.
One might say He DID hear my prayers, because it's quite clear that I spend a lot of time here...from Mon-Fri. Although Jewish law would consider this "stealing" as I'm not doing what I'm being paid to do. On Yom Kippur, I fast for sins like this. Alas, I fast for many things I'm not willing to do much about :oops:
Well thank god (!) for Yom Kippur, at least it gives you a get-out-of-jail-free card for your spot in heaven. I'll be lucky if I get a decent spot in hell.
:lol:

Post Reply