G5

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Alex Reynolds
Posts: 989
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2002 5:48 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Contact:

Post by Alex Reynolds » Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:20 pm

Each time someone here asks for a Mac recommendation, there is Ryan the Guest, trolling away. I don't see the opposite though.

My Mac works perfectly for me, so if that's a good sample size then everyone should go get one.

I'm not so stupid to assume that because something works perfectly for me, that I can get away with saying it will work perfectly for others.

To answer the original question in this thread, a G5 works fine with Live. Do a search on "G5" and you'll get great performance numbers, folks.

If you need a laptop and performance is more important than creativity, then go join the lemmings and buy a PC, or wait until a G5 PowerBook gets released. Or use something else other than Live. Live is not the end-all and be-all of audio software, Ryan.

If you can use a desktop and you want something that works, get a G5, since you'll pay the same for a PC with equivalent features, and for the money you'll by and large get something that is overall a lot more reliable than the average PC.

I know about things like reliability and quality because I do this sort of thing for a living and have to know what works and what doesn't.

I don't know what Ryan does for a living, but I imagine he has never had to use a variety of platforms and therefore has no perspective from which to speak.

On a separate note, we really need to get rid of the Guest feature on these forums, and get people logging in. I think it would introduce a lot of civility and self-restraint on the part of people here.

Cheers,
Alex

Martyn
Posts: 2505
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:22 am
Location: UK

Post by Martyn » Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:08 pm

Hi Jamief, You need to find a way to try GOOD well setup versions of BOTH platforms before you buy, if that is at all possible. DONT take anybodys word for it. There are some strange people posting on this forum who are extremely biased to whatever platform they use (me too to be honest) and they seem to have a habit of putting down people who are genuinely trying to give you honest advice. Both platforms give you complete reliability when set up properly (whatever some people may tell you) it's just down to how fat your wallet is. My advice is to wait a few months until the 64 bit pc chips hit the streets, then try to get somebody who is genuinely unbiased to demo them for you.

Good Luck

Martyn

Alex Reynolds
Posts: 989
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2002 5:48 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Contact:

Post by Alex Reynolds » Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:02 pm

Given that trolls are pooping off-topic comments in this thread, I figure I'll join in, now that Opus is back:

-- http://www.msnbc.com/news/992830.asp?0ql=c8p

Enjoy,
Alex

jamief
Posts: 1856
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:50 pm
Location: Awakend

Post by jamief » Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:29 pm

Martyn wrote:Hi Jamief, You need to find a way to try GOOD well setup versions of BOTH platforms before you buy, if that is at all possible. DONT take anybodys word for it. There are some strange people posting on this forum who are extremely biased to whatever platform they use (me too to be honest) and they seem to have a habit of putting down people who are genuinely trying to give you honest advice. Both platforms give you complete reliability when set up properly (whatever some people may tell you) it's just down to how fat your wallet is. My advice is to wait a few months until the 64 bit pc chips hit the streets, then try to get somebody who is genuinely unbiased to demo them for you.

Good Luck

Martyn
Thanks for that :)

ssonic
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:31 am

Post by ssonic » Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:33 pm

so, besides the usual "i got the fastest machine on earth and it's a ..."-rubbish (type in whatever you want, i really don't care): DID anybody run live on a G5 allready?

Guest

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:49 am

Oh Ryan,

get serious again! Your Windows computer is great for you - enjoy it. But as you are so proud of saving money - and getting most performance - why are you NOT USING Linux - hey, it is cheaper and most people running it get better performance than running Windows!!! You should have a try!

Oh, what do you say - your app is not running on Linux? Hmmm, well, let me tell you - that is the reason why I am using a Mac - because my OS is not running on a Wintel box! Because my software (like DP) is not running on a Wintel box! Because I am not compatible with a Wintel box!

You got it? There are differences between Mac and Windows - beyond any performance issues. if you cannot guess which these are - well, I am tired of discussing things with people who do not want to have a look beyond their Windows desktop.

Enjoy your Wintel box while playing in .....

The very best,
Steff

Guest

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:59 am

Sorry

but I am generally wondering why Windows-Users always get into Mac discussions and flaming against Mac. Am I blind or why do I not see that so often that Mac-Users get into Wintel-discussions and flame about Windows?

Is there any kind of tick you get using Windows so you have to throw your aggression against Mac-Users!

I was once jobing for a Softimage reseller - on a fair all the 3D Studio Max user came to our place and told us about how great 3D Studio Max is. (They told us how fantastic it is - we just began to wonder ywhy so many big and well known 3D Computer animation companies shell out so much money for a crap like Softimage - and why so most animations where produced with it - and how great they would get when being produced with 3D Studio Max).

Then an older, more experienced co-worker came over an told me that he does not react to those things. Nobody would ever admit that he bought a piece of crap and so he will always insist that what he bought is superior to all other products. So he has to trash the other products.
Quite interesting that those 3D Studio Max users were also Windows users!

Best,
Steff

Guest

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:14 am

easy there double poster, the original thread was about which platform people reccomended in light of the fact that the G5 exists. The original poster took my advice and surely others, and is buying an extremely powerful pc for less than half the cost of the G5. You like your mac. My windows machine works excellently for me. Mine costs less, and has higher track and effect capabilities in my favorite audio software, and is more capable in my graphics and CAD software. So have fun, and go make some music, thats what its all about. I only joined this thread to help JamieF, and to try and refute the untrue notion that windows sucks and in unreliable. Apparently that pisses some people off. Sorry.

Ryan

Guest

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:20 am

Alex Reynolds wrote:I could never get the Render function to work properly due to the same clicking and scratching symptoms.

It's been an issue at least since v1.5 and possibly earlier.

My recommendation to you is to output to mixer and record to external device (DAT, MD, etc.). That's the only way I've been able to record clean sound out of Live.

-Alex
Wow, sweet system you've got going there, where do I sign up.? Oh, wait a minute, its a lot easier to just render to disc 'cause it works just fine every single time on my pc. :wink:

Alex Reynolds
Posts: 989
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2002 5:48 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Contact:

Post by Alex Reynolds » Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:51 am

Anonymous wrote:Wow, sweet system you've got going there, where do I sign up.? Oh, wait a minute, its a lot easier to just render to disc 'cause it works just fine every single time on my pc. :wink:
Or maybe not:

-- http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=26261

I know you're trolling, Ryan, but I can render via Tassman and NI Absynth without glitches. I'd be inclined to think it was Live, irregardless of platform. Whatever, keep baiting the hook.

Cheers,
Alex

Martyn
Posts: 2505
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:22 am
Location: UK

Post by Martyn » Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:02 pm

Alex Reynolds wrote:Given that trolls are pooping off-topic comments in this thread, I figure I'll join in, now that Opus is back:

Alex
Just out of interest Alex, I'm pretty new to to posting on forums and not quite up on the jargon, please enlighten me as to the use of the word "troll" I know it's a derogatory comment and all that, but to what or to who is it directed? And why? You seem to be a reasonably well educated chap, albeit with a slightly superior attitude. I find it surprising that you see fit to display a kind of open bigotry.....of a sort.
No doubt I'll receive a load of abuse for this post but so what. Please Alex what's a troll?

Regards

Martyn

Alex Reynolds
Posts: 989
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2002 5:48 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Contact:

Post by Alex Reynolds » Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:06 pm

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?TrollDefinition

Ryan steps into threads and makes off-topic comments that are meant to offend. This meets one definition of a troll.

-Alex

quandry
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:31 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Post by quandry » Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:59 pm

Alex,

I don't know what your problem is with me, but I suggest you read this thread again from the top. I wasn't off-topic at all, Jamie F was interested in saving money and opinions on pcs. you were the off-topic one turning it into a flame war with your first post. Notice how JamieF and I were having a pleasant, non-mac bashing discussion until you joined the fray--yes I mentioned that there were mac problems, but how can one read these forums and not notice the osx cutout thread thats 100 posts long, amongst others. ANyway, you were the one who came in and took a highly superior, smart-ass attitude (once again), and totalled dissed windows (again). I can only speak for my system, which works great, so you can rant all you want and call me a liar and troll, but it still works great for me, while your recording to a mini disc and worrying about audio cutouts. I perform with Live for audiences every week with great sucess, how about you?. YOu have an extremely warped sense or reality and of the definition of troll. You never respond to hypocritcal issues I point out on your part, you just act even more childish. Like the time you came in with your high and mighty attitude to diss me (once again) with totally bullshit info:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3661

yeah, pcmcia is just a tiny bit better than usb 1.1. Not faster than firewire--NOT--you are way off the mark there and elsewhere. SO I hope you continue to enjoy your personal vendetta against me, its comical at this point, and people like Martyn and others can read through your crap. If you want, I could send you a picture of one of my bands so that you can throw darts at it and make the appropriate voodoo doll to hex me while your sitting in your basement on a saturday night. Have fun

Ryan

Alex Reynolds
Posts: 989
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2002 5:48 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Contact:

Post by Alex Reynolds » Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:01 am

You're a troll because you jump into Mac threads and tell everyone how great Windows is and how much Macs suck. If that's not off-topic I don't know what is.

If you really, truly wanted to be helpful, you would let people make up their own minds.

If folks do a search on Ableton's forum site, they'll find as many and the same problems reported using Live with Windows as with OS X. This is not me: these are Windows users reporting Windows problems.

Apparently the same sound outages and glitches affecting some OS X users are a problem for some under Windows too! But of course you'll ignore that.

I don't really give two shits about you personally but you're a troll and folks should know that before they take your advice. People should take what they read from you with a huge grain of salt. That's up to them, of course.

I'm sure you'll want the last word to tell me off again. It's yours, so enjoy it.

-Alex

jamief
Posts: 1856
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:50 pm
Location: Awakend

Post by jamief » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:47 am

Alex Reynolds wrote:You're a troll because you jump into Mac threads and tell everyone how great Windows is and how much Macs suck. If that's not off-topic I don't know what is.

If you really, truly wanted to be helpful, you would let people make up their own minds.

If folks do a search on Ableton's forum site, they'll find as many and the same problems reported using Live with Windows as with OS X. This is not me: these are Windows users reporting Windows problems.

Apparently the same sound outages and glitches affecting some OS X users are a problem for some under Windows too! But of course you'll ignore that.

I don't really give two shits about you personally but you're a troll and folks should know that before they take your advice. People should take what they read from you with a huge grain of salt. That's up to them, of course.

I'm sure you'll want the last word to tell me off again. It's yours, so enjoy it.

-Alex
Er Alex Ryan hasnt forced me to make any decision i dont want to. I think in this case you should but out.
Grow up your acting like a 5 year old. Go play some ball and get rid of your frustation in a postive manner.

:oops:

Post Reply