Any users working sucessfully with macbook and maudio fw410?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tomperson

Any users working sucessfully with macbook and maudio fw410?

Post by tomperson » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:37 pm

Hi,
I'm seriously considering getting a macbook (core 2 duo, 2ghz). I currently own a firewire 410, which i use in a PC under xp. I haven't had many issues with it, although it seems that running live at 512 samples or less gives a glitch here and there. I have read some not-very-happy posts on the web about mac users trying to get it to run.

Is anyone here using this hardware on a mac sucessfully? I don't think I have the money to upgrade both my pc laptop and my soundcard, so it would be nice to know of people using its 410 without problems on this forum...

thanks.
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

gort

Post by gort » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:30 am

ive used my macbook pro a few times with my old firewire 410 and it did alright. i was recording my friend playing an acoustic (electro acoustic) plugged into my fw410. after doing some tweaking, the latency was managable and the sound was good. one of my headphone outputs crapped out on my fw410. they are generally ok i guess, but cheaply built in my opinion.

yes.. ive got it to work with little fuss under 512.
hi-q hits and handclaps not holywars and hand grenades

udp

Post by udp » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:44 am

I've used that combination everyday since August. I like it. Make sure you get the latest drivers though. They seem to be the best. One other thing is it seems to work best by saving a good setting in the 410 software control, then loading that saved setting each time you reboot. A bit of a hassle, but hardly a nuisance.
OS X.5 MacBook Core 2Duo 2.2ghz, 2Gig RAM Mackie Onyx 400F m-audio BX8's, Oxygen 8, Zoom H-4, Alesis Masterlink, Bitstream 3x
http://www.udpmusic.com

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:12 pm

Thanks both of you for your kind help. In fact, hardware-wise, the 410 seems quite decent (at least in terms of sturdiness), but its drivers seem to be the main problem, which is a shame...

At least now i know of two people running it ok, which makes me a bit more comfortable...just a bit...

Anyone else?
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:23 pm

tomperson wrote:Thanks both of you for your kind help. In fact, hardware-wise, the 410 seems quite decent (at least in terms of sturdiness), but its drivers seem to be the main problem, which is a shame...

At least now i know of two people running it ok, which makes me a bit more comfortable...just a bit...

Anyone else?
Do a search for the 410 on the forum.
Warning: it might make you end up burning the device in a satanic ritual while cursing m-audio ;)

There are people who don't have any issues with the 410 at all. But you'll find 10 more people who'll say they sold it.
I personally sold it, it was freaking out my g5. Yet it ran fine for the dude i sold it to, who was running a g4.

If the drivers are finally up to spec, it took them a hell of a long time to do so.
So in conclusion. If the 410 works for you, you're one of the lucky few.
I wouldn't trust a luck-based interface to work on any computer.
We still don't know for sure if the problem is related to drivers or dodgy units.

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:43 pm

Yeah, i already did the search, here and on google. The situation is not really good, but also confusing. Too many people complaining, but i couldn't seem to get what's the common denominator of the problem.

I wanted to asses if i have *some chances* of doing away without having to pay for another soundcard, which is out of my budget at the moment.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I hope to be among the lucky ones, at least until i can save a few bucks and get some other interface...