I can't scratch with Torq, in Live??? (Edit: Yes I can)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Willyum

I can't scratch with Torq, in Live??? (Edit: Yes I can)

Post by Willyum » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:53 pm

I just got Torq today.
I can scratch my samples as standalone, but can't seem to scratch while running Live

I got it for the purpose of scratching in my Hip Hop production, I don't do parties and clubs. Only production (recording).

What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by Willyum on Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I spent my life, laughing, wondering if crazy people even realized that they're crazy.......then one day, I realized..." - Flippa

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:05 pm

Are you running Torq rewired into Live as an audio slave?
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:02 pm

yeah, external vinyl control is disabled when in rewire mode, but there is a work around. Open Torq first and Live second, this allows them to be open simultaneously without being rewired. All you have to do then is route the audio from Torq back into Live externally.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:14 pm

drewbixcube wrote:yeah, external vinyl control is disabled when in rewire mode, but there is a work around. Open Torq first and Live second, this allows them to be open simultaneously without being rewired. All you have to do then is route the audio from Torq back into Live externally.
My man..., I was just packing up the box to head back to sam ash, straight bitchin, when I saw your post.

now I'm happy again.

Thank you, thank you, Thank you.

I was on the phone with tech support at M-Audio for a while, then they told me "sorry, there currently isn't any way to do it with the way the current 'ReWire' is setup."

I was also on the Torq forum. They're all mad too.
Seems like you're the only one who knows about this.
So far it works great. I'll try it for a few more days to see if I get a lot of crashes.

Thank you again!
"I spent my life, laughing, wondering if crazy people even realized that they're crazy.......then one day, I realized..." - Flippa

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:01 am

nevermind, thought there was a way to scratch with torq w/o the vinyl... :(
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:10 pm

Dude?

That pretty much sucks big time. External vinyl control disabled in re-wire mode.

Rewiring into LIVE was about the only thing that this had going on over Serato.

That sucks, but it seems like it is a problem with the rewire protocol.

That pretty much sucks.
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:51 am

With the info that drewbixcube gave, everything is good to go. I absolutely love Torq right now.
The response to scratches is so dead on, and that's what I bought it for. My vinyl library was not that impressive (4, really 3 1/2 crates).
BUT NOW....
Jeez, With all the mp3 albums I've collected and converted from cd over the years....
I'v got about 90gb's of mp3 and numerous dvd's of sample libraries.
I feel so completely unlimited on the decks now.
Torq has been the best addition to my studio in years.

I have never used Sorato or the others. But Torq is so dead on, (I'm getting about 7 or 8 ms latency) I can't possibly imagine sorato being any better. THIS IS THE SAME AS USING MY REGULAR VINYL.

I know I sound excited.... I am excited. If you are a DJ you must get Torq or Sorato or equivelent.
Man, was I sleeping on this big time!!!

When I spoke to the M-Audio tech, although he said that there is nothing I can do about the current rewire situation, he did sound like that was one of thier highest priorities. Also on another board they are saying that the Torq update comming soon will be a huge update.

As far as all the extra features, Sampler and stuff... It's ok. I'm not really impressed with the extras.
But they freakin nailed the virtual records thing dead on!!!

KU

Post by KU » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:28 am

drewbixcube wrote:yeah, external vinyl control is disabled when in rewire mode, but there is a work around. Open Torq first and Live second, this allows them to be open simultaneously without being rewired. All you have to do then is route the audio from Torq back into Live externally.
Do you mean run an actual audio cable from a pair of outs back into the Soundcard? That is still pretty wack as you are running through the conversion process and garbling up your audio quality - not to mention introducing a bit more latency.

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:17 pm

I'm glad it worked out for you, Willyum. Lets hope the update rumours are true.
KU wrote:
Do you mean run an actual audio cable from a pair of outs back into the Soundcard? That is still pretty wack as you are running through the conversion process and garbling up your audio quality - not to mention introducing a bit more latency.
True, and in addition you have to manually match Live's tempo to Torq's (the Xone 3d's BPM sync was golden for this). Let's face it, it's not the best scenario, but if what Willyum says about the update holds true then its the only workaround until external vinyl control is enabled while in rewire mode. I ended up returning Torq myself because I don't have a laptop just yet and I'm sure by the time I can afford one either Torq will be updated or there will be yet another, better system available. While I had Torq, I was as frustrated as Willyum was about the external vinyl control being disabled in rewire mode. One would think that this would have been an obvious desire of anyone interested in the program, but apparently M-Audio didn't. I'm not a programmer but I do know that all they have to do is make it so that Torq is the master and Live is the slave so that Live's tempo would follow any pitch adjustments made on the turntable or perhaps even the master tempo of Torq.