GUITARISTS - favorite multi - fx / stomps?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:39 am

Novel wrote:You prefer the sound of GR2 over Amplitube 2? Amplitube 2 sounds quite good to me.
Well, as you know, it's all in the eye of the beholder.....but yes.

waves, gr2, amp2, anyline 6, as a gear whore....I own or have tried them all. Hate NI, but LOVE gr2! For guitar, even at lower sample rates....I get a silky near-real sound. It doesn't matter what guitar I use and I rarely, well actually never, use the presets. Excellent for getting a "feel" but you have tweat to be sheik!

In particular, the AC stuff is just insane for a good base. Add fuzz....disto, or stack 'em (yes.....have more than one........) and enjoy! The 800 is very good, especially with an orange or 4/12 uk/60's cab......make sure the bias is at 12 or hotter! Oh.....and you should not need to have the boost on. The jazz chorus is sick when used properly.....the tweed is probably the most authentic and for disto.....I personally like the boss/ds emu! I can use that with just about anything and get great sound.

And I'll just keep going ( I feel like it ) the "stoned phase" brings back some very good feelings of a better time.....and I think the "ensamble" is the best CE-1 emu EVER! Oh, I have one of those btw.......no you can't buy it! :lol:

register

Post by register » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:37 pm

eyeknow wrote: Hate NI, but LOVE gr2! :
I share your enthusiasm in GR2! ... By a long way the best amp sim I've ever used. Amplitube 2 has come a long way since the original amplitube, but it still doesn't sound as good as GR2 - also it is more limited in terms of what features you can apply- Some of my favorite GR2 patches include 3+ cabs and distortions that mix signal between 2 pedals. If you've got the processor to handle it, the Hi-Res mode does a lot of good for sound quality... Here's a thought- do you reckon GR2's amp sounds might be convolution based, as opposed to an algorithm?

It sounds great on record, and I find it to my advantage to try and the perfect take, and then build the perfect rig for a mix.

So now I'm running a real amp for live, and just for jamming at home. We found that GR2 on stage doesn't have sufficient impact. Mmm... Big Muff!

Novel

Post by Novel » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:40 pm

Hmm, perhaps I'll give GR2 a shot. Thanks for the input.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:44 pm

Just got a PodXT. It's better than I thought. I'm stoked to see that there are bass presets 'cause I also just got a bass. There's so much crap they want to sell to you, are people satisfied with the $200 VST interface? Looks amazing but $200, shit, I just bought the pod!!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:19 pm

Digitech Bass Distortion is heaven.

kettensaege

Post by kettensaege » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:04 am

I was pretty pleased with my Tech 21 psa-1/Peavey Classic 50/50 combination for the last few years (lucky impulse buy) and got a G-Major and a FCB-1010 two years ago, works nicely, very flexible. Tried GR2 briefly but didn't like the high gain sounds at all and went for a POD XT. It also only took about 10 seconds to convince a few friends to use the POD instead of GR2 on their next recording. Then again, they weren't guitarists and I seem to have found some good sounds on the net.
I've also used the J-Station for quite a while to practice at home and do the occasional recording, but the POD easily tops it. Still, a fun little box, out of production so you might get one cheap on ebay.
Also, when it comes to guitar playing, I prefer to invest in a little stand alone device like the POD XT / POD XT Live rather than getting a software that ties me to the computer. You don't have to bother with latency problems, too.
And if you're aiming for the classic setup, try an Engl Powerball. I've only heard good things about them, but never tried one myself.
my 0.02$,
hth,
k

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:35 am

Vox Tonelab is a great guitar fx, some people like it better than Guitar Rig 2 for overall tone. Although it is not a vst.

sebovzeoueb

Post by sebovzeoueb » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:43 am

I've got a POD XT Live and I'm very pleased with it. I find it sounds better for recording than it does going into an amp an a live situation (that said, my amp setup is not amazing). I have never tried it on a PA, but it is supposed to be good. Physically I really like it, it's a good sturdy pedal board, very well laid out, and nice Wah/Volume pedal with easy switching between these two modes.
MacBook Pro 17", 2GB RAM; Live 6, Pod XT Live, MOTU Ultralite, M-AUDIO Axiom 25, Electric and Acoustic Ukuleles, Fretless Bass.

http://www.myspace.com/s2belectronica

YILA

Post by YILA » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:51 am

i love the sound of the boss tuner.
Scan i5 in the studio. Dual core Pc laptop, 13inch macbookpro,RME fireface 800,live 8.1,operator. drum machines Myspace Soundcloud Youtube Twitter

itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:14 am

leedsquietman wrote:Vox Tonelab is a great guitar fx, some people like it better than Guitar Rig 2 for overall tone. Although it is not a vst.
+1. that's what i use, with some stomps.

ploy

Post by ploy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:18 am

after having tried gr, amplitube, wave gtr, izotope and so on the ugly looking but really awesome sounding freeware simply named "freeamp" had won this race. line 6 is shitty but comfortable and compact, sansamp tech21 sounds very ok but it too noisy (at least my little gt2) for many purposes.

ilia

Post by ilia » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:50 am

itook4lefts wrote:
leedsquietman wrote:Vox Tonelab is a great guitar fx, some people like it better than Guitar Rig 2 for overall tone. Although it is not a vst.
+1. that's what i use, with some stomps.
+1.
Not ideal, but covers a lot of territory.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:56 am

sebovzeoueb wrote:I've got a POD XT Live and I'm very pleased with it. I find it sounds better for recording than it does going into an amp an a live situation (that said, my amp setup is not amazing). I have never tried it on a PA, but it is supposed to be good. Physically I really like it, it's a good sturdy pedal board, very well laid out, and nice Wah/Volume pedal with easy switching between these two modes.
No doubt, a very quality build!

btw, there are a bunch of "type" settings for amps, studio, etc.....there's even a "bose" settting........in case you did not know.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:01 am

since this informative and revealing thread has re-started, I need to make my case for something.

One thing that has changed my flavor/feel exponentially is having a good tube preamp up front ( uad solo 610 ) It's pricey and it's not a "wow" purchase feature wise. But it helps with getting modeling/digital sounds to be more realistic during/afterwards.

Kinda wierd cause I originally got it for bass.....but the real kick is that it's just the bomb for guitar!!!!

Just felt the need to express that.

sebovzeoueb

Post by sebovzeoueb » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:44 am

eyeknow wrote:
sebovzeoueb wrote:I've got a POD XT Live and I'm very pleased with it. I find it sounds better for recording than it does going into an amp an a live situation (that said, my amp setup is not amazing). I have never tried it on a PA, but it is supposed to be good. Physically I really like it, it's a good sturdy pedal board, very well laid out, and nice Wah/Volume pedal with easy switching between these two modes.
No doubt, a very quality build!

btw, there are a bunch of "type" settings for amps, studio, etc.....there's even a "bose" settting........in case you did not know.
Yeah, I use these settings, I find the stack front setting is the nicest going through my particular amp setup (which is a cheapish 30W Coxx amp stacked on a Carlsbro Cobra 115 Keyboard amp, weird setup I know, but it makes loud noise), so I think it may be my amps that aren't very good, rather than the Pod, but I seem to remember someone else saying that it is better as a recording tool than a live pedal. One also has to take into account the fact that I play electric ukulele as well, which has more treble to start with.
MacBook Pro 17", 2GB RAM; Live 6, Pod XT Live, MOTU Ultralite, M-AUDIO Axiom 25, Electric and Acoustic Ukuleles, Fretless Bass.

http://www.myspace.com/s2belectronica