Compressor settings for DJing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
boraxx

Compressor settings for DJing

Post by boraxx » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:48 pm

hey gang

im doing a DJ-ish live act in which at any given moment 3 + tracks can be playing at the same time. I was just wondering what kind of compressor / limiter settings u guys recommend for the master out of such and endeavor.

I've tried live's compressor (both of em, and i actually think comp I, to be better than II for this kind of scenario) and have tweaked with settings to some extent, but have yet to find the right balance between preventing speaker blow-out, and squashing the hell out of the set (as in when dynamics get softer the sound just jumps over the top; make sense?).

I know this is an open kind of question, but was just hoping some of you had any tips to offer this way.

Thanks a lot,

Federico.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:51 pm

check the presets under the RACKS in Live 6, there are mastering and DJ presets, start there and tweak to taste.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:51 pm

Using those presets like Tone suggests is a good option. Another is to use Saturator, which naturally has some compression built-in.

You can also use a 3rd party compressor, but make sure there is no or very little latency built-into the plugin.

Dr. Zoiberg

Re: Compressor settings for DJing

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:17 pm

If you play tracks that have already been mastered, than I would use nothing else.
You can add a saturator with analog clipping on the master, but keep an eye on your levels and use your ears - dynamics are a DJ's best friends ;) and you don't want to squash everything.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:22 pm

agreed, but when mixing two files, it's easy to peak out...light compression/limiting helps.

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:26 pm

nebulae wrote:agreed, but when mixing two files, it's easy to peak out...light compression/limiting helps.
Cutting the bass on one of them helps more :wink:

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:27 pm

is that what djs are doing? :P

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:41 pm

Don't compress.

Ride your levels lower and don't open up both tracks full blast at the same time. Attenuate the level or the bass of one or the other. At no point should both tracks in a mix (or all three in this case in particular) be coming out without turning down either the volume or eq bands significantly.

Compression just sucks the life out of mastered tracks.

If you feel you must compress for some reason, you're wrong. Don't do it. But if you insist on doing it wrong, then you're a shitty DJ and deserve to suck. However, if you don't care that you're a shitty DJ and still insist on using a compressor because Mixmag, or some other retard-authored rag told you to do so, then at least try to be only a teensy bit shitty.

To be as unshitty as possible (or as unshitty as a shitty compression using DJ can possibly get), then use a FAST attack (none at all, really) and a LOOOOOOOONG release (like 2-5 seconds if you can. Crank your compressor's release knob all the way to the right.

Then, set your ratio at about 1 / 1.2, and don't drop your threshold lower than -5db.

With these settings, it will act as a volume leveler rather than a compressor. Because consider that the house running the PA system limit and compress the hell out of your signal at their end of the chain, just before the amps.

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:47 pm

The above was unnecessarily rude, but I had fun writing it.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:49 pm

M. Bréqs wrote:The above was unnecessarily rude, but I had fun writing it.
freakin' canooks...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:49 pm

Make that your .sig ;) if you don't, I will. :P

(not that I ever find you rude.)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:23 am

Tone Deft wrote:
Make that your .sig ;) if you don't, I will. :P

(not that I ever find you rude.)
Then I'm not trying hard enough I guess...

...And you're welcome to sig the phrase. Get a tattoo of it on your bum if you want, it's all good. Bienvenu!

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:31 am

Ok seriously, guys, what I'm talking about and what you compressor-phobes are talking about are two different things.

Of course if you compress a mastered mix, it'll sound like crap - that's what happens on the radio today - mastered stuff gets overcompressed even more - no dynamics, crappy sound.

Also, of course DJs blend the beats and the bass frequencies between tracks. Duh - what the hell do you think they're doing when they're fiddling around with knobs and such in the mix?!? There's got to be some reason DJ look like spazzes.

Ok so what I'm talking about is a slight FAST limiting compressor with a VERY HIGH threshold. So if any peaks go over -0.5, then the compressor comes in within say 1ms and then goes out within 2-3ms. Surgical precision control. Why would you want this? Well, because when you're mixing two tracks in the digital realm (Live's mixer) and you don't get it right, sometimes you'll have peaks. And although it's hard to hit that digital zero in a 32-bit float mix engine, it can happen, and you never want it to happen when you're on stage. If you keep you levels down, it's likely that the compressor will never even come into play. But to tell him to not use it at all, well, I think that's a little irresponsible. That's all I gots to say.

Freakin' canooks...*sigh*

;P

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:26 am

on a side note here.....wouldn't such short attack and release times on a full-spectrum signal cause distortion because of the bass frequencies? Probably very little because of the high threshold and low ratio, but I thought a general rule of thumb was to make the attack and release times higher than the period of the lowest frequency you are compressing?

boraxx

Post by boraxx » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:38 am

awesome, and seeing how this topic can spark big controversy here's another question....would u put this compressor at the end of the FX chain? or before the other master FX?
fed