Buying macbook this week...What should I tweak?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
freqn

Buying macbook this week...What should I tweak?

Post by freqn » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:53 am

Dont turn this into a "You should get a pc" rant.

Been using pc's for music for years and very accustomed to tweaking windows for optimum performance. Now I am switching to macbook, although I will be keeping my pc desktop for other uses.

Don't post unless you are a mac/intel user running Live.

Buying a macbook this week. I am going to up the ram to 2 gigs. What are some recommended tweaks, if any, that I should consider once I get it into my hands for maximum performance with Live?

zebastian21

Re: Buying macbook this week...What should I tweak?

Post by zebastian21 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:02 am

radialson wrote:Dont turn this into a "You should get a pc" rant.

Been using pc's for music for years, and now I am switching to mac.

Don't post unless you are a mac/intel user running Live.

Buying a macbook this week. I am going to up the ram to 2 gigs. What are some recommended tweaks, if any, that I should consider once I get it into my hands for maximum performance with Live?
the greatnes about Macs...no tweaking required....thats will be old news for you :)
stop talking.....start working...:)
Macbook pro. Logic pro/Live. Access Virus Ti. Genelec 8040. my bread and butter :)

freqn

Post by freqn » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:08 am

That will be nice for a change.

gl3nn3k

Post by gl3nn3k » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:18 pm

I'm in the same situation, been usig a P4 desktop for years. I was going to post the same question, thanks! It will be nice not having to tweak anything. Besides their so pretty.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:28 pm

Yep, only thing you might want to do is set the HD to not sleep, but to be honest I don't do this on my MBP and it's never been a problem.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:32 pm

welcome to: no tweaking required anymore.

except the HD to set to no sleep, but as tarekith said...
*** Image GAFM ***

sqook

Post by sqook » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:38 pm

There's at least one tweak worth performing, and that's removing /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext. This will disable speedstepping on your mac, meaning that it will always run at the full CPU clock speed.

Of course, this will effect your battery power, but if performance is more important to you, then that doesn't really matter...

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:51 pm

sqook wrote:There's at least one tweak worth performing, and that's removing /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext. This will disable speedstepping on your mac, meaning that it will always run at the full CPU clock speed.

Of course, this will effect your battery power, but if performance is more important to you, then that doesn't really matter...
This will make the fan run almost always. At least on my Black C2D MackBook.
But you can always come back if you do not like it. Take it easy. ;-)

- Best
- Pasha
Apple iMac 2013 / Macbook Late 2012
Live 10 Suite,Zebra ,Guitar, Bass, VG99, JV1010 and some controllers

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:56 pm

Turn of widgets

Oh , and download fan control to keep your new mac cool!

other than that your good to go!

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:56 pm

I very happy to see your make the switch. In my humble opinion If there is any way you can spend the extrta for a mac book pro due to the firewire 800 and card buss slot (which will allow you to run your audio interface and external drive on 2 TRUE seperate busses). Just becuase the mackbook pro has both both firewire 400 and 800 does not mean they are truly seperate. They share the same buss.
The mac book (while a decent machine) has none of the expandibility options that I mentioned above, so you could find your self with a firewire bandwith bottleneck issue should you start to venture into VI's and large files. Also When Leopard is realeased, It may be possible to actually have 4 gigs of ram running.

In any case best of luck with your purchase.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

sqook

Post by sqook » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:08 pm

Pasha wrote:
sqook wrote:There's at least one tweak worth performing, and that's removing /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext. This will disable speedstepping on your mac, meaning that it will always run at the full CPU clock speed.

This will make the fan run almost always. At least on my Black C2D MackBook.
But you can always come back if you do not like it. Take it easy. ;-)

- Best
- Pasha
You should grab FanControl then:

http://www.lobotomo.com/products/FanControl/

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:09 pm

I love widgets, there's some very handy ones related to music production I use all the time. Some that convert note pitch to note numbers, ms to tempo, etc. I even have one that shows me which chords and ntoes belong to any key, piano or guitar.

Well worth the piddling of RAM they take up.

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:13 pm

Tarekith wrote:I love widgets, there's some very handy ones related to music production I use all the time. Some that convert note pitch to note numbers, ms to tempo, etc. I even have one that shows me which chords and ntoes belong to any key, piano or guitar.

I'd be quite grateful if you could link some of these widgets.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:22 pm

Tarekith wrote:I love widgets, there's some very handy ones related to music production I use all the time. Some that convert note pitch to note numbers, ms to tempo, etc. I even have one that shows me which chords and ntoes belong to any key, piano or guitar.

dito widgets and spotlight very, very handy indeed.
*** Image GAFM ***

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:39 pm

I've found two very key optimization tips to keep OSX running smoothly.

1) Repair permissions often on your system drive, (Disc Utility). every few days and before and after installing any new software, (this includes OS updates)

2) Every few months, (depending on your work intensity), to keep your audio drive running at it's best, copy all files over to another drive, (USB, Firewire etc) and then, using Disc Utility, erase the audio drive and copy back. Instant Optimization!

Believe me, these two tips will save you a lot of potential headaches. A great app, (free) for back up is: Carbon Copy Cloner. http://www.versiontracker.com. This will make you a Bootable back up disc on another drive.

Tod
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"