monitors

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Ken Ken

monitors

Post by Ken Ken » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:19 pm

2 Quick questions...

Question (1) At the moment i have what i call my music chamber (my music room) :lol: Its not a very large room (4 metres by 3 metres) I have my DAW hooked up through my very expensive hifi seperates which uses the same speakers i have my mixer and decks routed through.

Now i am looking to get a decent pair of active monitors for use with my music production, ableton, reason etc. I was looking to move my hifi into my living room to replace the shit stereo my girlfriend has put in there but i was wondering whether or not my new active monitors in my music chamber will do just as good job for both my production and to run my decks, mixer through etc....?

Question (2) I play mostly house music (chicago,detroit,deeep house). obviosuly all monitors sound very differnt but just wondering if anybody produces / listens to the same sort of music and gets a good sound. I live nowhere near a shop where i can demo the gear so have to go mostly off write ups etc. I have heard alot of good things about the mackie824's which are within my budget...but open to other suggestions..

Many Thanks in advance 8)

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:35 am

You'll love the 824s and they'll do a fine job for monitoring and deck-age, have the same setup here and love it. At that price there are other choices too, some peeps love the Dynaudio bm6a (??), also Genelec and for sure there are other quality choices. Even if you have to travel it's worth trying to go and listen to a few.

ayahuasca

Post by ayahuasca » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:07 am

ya, I agree with muthafunka, good to actually go and take a listen. I tried the 824's the dynaudio's, and the asp-8's at studio's and listening rooms... I bought the asp-8's but then brought them back now I am looking seriously at the 824's or maybe the JBL's (although I need to try the JBL's their digital in's and auto-eq'ing seems appropriate for home studios) -- but very few seem to be using the jbl's.

for the money, 90 % of the folks I talk to (who are doing mostly computer/electronic film music) say get the 824's, and they have become somewhat of an industry standard...but you're doing club music...hm....Also check krk v8's, friends of mine who produce prog house really like them, they are less "clinical" sounding than the mackie's + future music rated them ahead of the mackie's recently.
Last edited by ayahuasca on Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
satellite system: mbp 2016 2.7, live 10; RME babypro, Roland A-300 pro, Shure 1540's, Shure SM7B, Roland Cube, Refx N2, Nerve....

microlive

Post by microlive » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:31 am

Yeah, the KRK V8's have a great well rounded sound... but maybe a but big for Ken Ken's room. I have a pair of the V5's & although they got a slightly poorer rating in that same Future Music test... i think they're still pretty solid. Stick with what works for your ears i guess???

Obviously if you have the extra cash, my money would be on the Genelecs... an old mate of mine has recently purchased a pair of 8020's and they are the bees knees for any type of production.

Ken Ken

Post by Ken Ken » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:07 pm

sound, cheers guys. So what your saying is that studio monitors are ok to run your decks through and have a good loud jam in addition to being ideal for studio production monitoring. I like a warm sound - the sort of sound that comes from my allen and heath mixer. The Mackies still the ones for me..?

Ayahasca - i would be interested to hear why you took the monitors back...can the sound from different monitors really be that different?

p.s are active a better chocie than passive..?

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:14 pm

Def get actives.

Also, get a sub. (a must have for house music and especially if your DJ'ing in the room)

824's will work. I traded mine for Event's. Cleaner low Mids for me and less coloration.
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:43 pm

I don't like HR824s (too much booty, weird scoop in the mids)

I do like Dynaudio BM6As

I really dig ADAMS P-11As

But most likely I'd buy Genelec 8030s

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:45 pm

i play my decks thu my krk rp6's and they are great

easy on the wallet also

yummm... detroit house
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

Steve Christian

Post by Steve Christian » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:52 pm

My friend's got the Mackie's and I'm not a fan at all. It gets really muffled in the lower range IMO. I don't understand how they became the industry standard. Anyways, take a listen to Event or Tannoy before buying the Mackie's because that's what people tell you is the best. I like both the Event's and Tannoy's because they have a nice even response top to bottom making it easier to discern frequencies IMO.

nonnus

Post by nonnus » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:12 am

i use m-audio bx8 monitors

although i currently do not trust m-products
2 years ago these where my choice
based on price and very limited in testing options here in portugal (there isn´t a propper space where one can test different monitors)

i have to say,
i always appreciated their sound although i was a bit alarmed from the start when i could not detect real problems in tracks i had done previously with hifi speakers
otherwise they always sounded quite big, 8" speakers are definatelly too big for my space but i like to consider them my little p.a.system and they feel confortabe with my kind of music

and i always heard that the most important is to learn to know the speakers we have, so i tried to do that

i have completed tracks to make an album entirelly on the bx8 and i was very happy with how they sounded on the bx8 only to be very very disapointed when i took the cd to listen on some mackie 824 (wich i considered to be industry reference as stated previously by other people)
my bass (wich is quite heavy on my tracks, maybe too heavy....) sounded all muffled, very thin instead of warm, the highs on the other hand where harsh and out of control

totally different than what i get in bx8

i was so disapointed i haven´t produced any more tracks after...
still trying to find out what is happening
as i have asked some people to listen to the tacks on different speakers and noone really pointed such extreme problems as i experienced...

so i just remembered to use his chance to ask if some of you can give a listen to one track and please tell if it sounds solid and the speakers used...
i offer myself and my poor bx8s for the same purpose if anyone needs or wants it....
maybe we can create a circle with different people and speakers to check each others tracks on different systems...;)

here is the link to the track,
www.silicon-records.com/3G/320/3G-Under_Pressure.mp3

my main concern is about the bass part and if it creates or breaks the solidity of the mix

thanks a lot

nonnus

p.s.: i currently am quite in love with the genelecs, the 8030 seems perfect to travel around, but the 8050 must really be something else....
i will get one of each when i release my album
lolloolllll

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:34 am

dude , i have tryed many monitor systems .
the one that made things work good for me are the genelec ones .i can't really say one is better than the other but i make a linving out of doing mastering on genelec speakears .i recomend the brand to any serious musicians with a good budget for monitors

ayahuasca

Post by ayahuasca » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:23 pm

re the ASP8's. two 1/2 reasons: A. they did not sound well at all in my studio. B. they appear to not be that well magnetically insulated (picked up studio noise). and C (1/2) their warranty is lame, 90 days as I remember.

also re the genelec's yes, very nice (the various models) but pricey, but if I felt I had the cash I would probably go genelec..... and yes the mackie's are more clinical than say the krk's, but I like the clinical aspect for mixing, even though in the end the MUSIC usually being played (by the masses) on shit speakers...but of course.
Last edited by ayahuasca on Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
satellite system: mbp 2016 2.7, live 10; RME babypro, Roland A-300 pro, Shure 1540's, Shure SM7B, Roland Cube, Refx N2, Nerve....

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:36 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:I don't like HR824s (too much booty, weird scoop in the mids)

I do like Dynaudio BM6As

I really dig ADAMS P-11As

But most likely I'd buy Genelec 8030s
dito, +1 for 8030s
*** Image GAFM ***

indef

Post by indef » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:02 pm

For a room your size and taking into account that you want to crank it up when your mixing with your decks, also using 824's as a reference - i think you would prefer Genelec 8040a's. The 8030a's are too small in size/volume to be compared to 824's, the 8040a is a more direct comparison and there is no contest. Much more solid and detailed and both the 8040a and 824's go pretty loud compared to other monitors in the price range.

Go with the 8040's

Shoma

Post by Shoma » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:14 pm

I love my Event TR5