M.I.A.

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
tomperson

M.I.A.

Post by tomperson » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:15 pm

I wonder, who's listening to M.I.A in this forum? I did a search and found no posts. Can't believe it. It's amazing what she's doing. I just discovered her, the whole arular album is a trip...
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:18 pm

I'm a big fan over here!

corygilbert

Post by corygilbert » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:36 pm

bummpppp!!!!!

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:37 pm

here i was hopin for a good chuck norris discussion article.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:46 pm

When Chuck Norris asks M.I.A. to perform, she doesn't sing...she acts out parts from the movie M.I.A.
Image Image Image Image

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:51 pm

whatever. she has some seriously banging beats there. and there's something about the phrasing of the tracks...in some of them i'd say that the vocal loops are of odd lenghts, so the vocals seem to be like out of phase with the rest, hence making you totally crazy.
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:51 pm

She and producer Diplo are using Live to make some of those beats...
http://www.ableton.com/diplo
she's working with Timbaland on a new album as well.
Best,
Jesse

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:20 pm

Love MIA!

Can't get enough of that latin percussion.

tomperson,

How's the music scene down there? I've seen some vids of some of the clubs in Brazil...Huge! Beautiful people and such energy!

Would be a dream to play down there.
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:39 pm

I think the new Gwen Stephani stuff tried to copy MIA's style...

And failed. That new Gwen stuff is A.W.F.U.L.

Honestly, it took a few listens for me to really get MIA, but I'm a fan now. Diplo is really good. He did a cool CSS remix too.

SubQ

Post by SubQ » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:42 pm

Brasil is hot. Specially Sao Paulo, nice clubs... rio's not so good in terms of place to play.
I live in Recife, Pernambuco. Greatest rhytm provider around the world imho... more original beats here than you can imagine.
I dare to say that mia is nothing comparing to the best brazilian funk mcs and djs(just to stick with the style she's and diplo are exploring)... I saw her gig and wasn't impressed at all. Cut chemist and De La Soul swallowed the night then.

cheers
http://soundcloud.com/coelho
Dave Smith Prophet 08 SE, Genelecs, RME Multiface, Faderfoxes, Doepfer Drehbank, Padkontrol, DIY Footcontroller, Electro Harmonix Pedals.

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:45 pm

Well, it depends. The southern countries of south america (Chile, Argentina, Uruguay) are a bit different to the hotter, central ones (Venezuela, Ecuador, Puerto Rico, etc). Reggaeton, Salsa, "latin" rythms for instance are as foreign to us as they could be to you, really. Not that they don't have influence, but it's not our "native" music. And Brasil is another universe, they are like the USA in terms that they are self contained, a world on its own.

Here in Uruguay a beach called Punta del Este was a big clubbing scene (like ibiza) in the 90s, but after the economical breakdown of 2002 it went sorta downhill, but now it's slowly returning as a tourist attraction.

Check it out:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q ... a=N&tab=wi

ground_control

Post by ground_control » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:04 pm

MIA is the bee's knees as far as I'm concerned. Arular was on literally constant rotation for six months when it came out, and will probably never leave my ipod. I can't wait to hear the new shit she's been working on. God I hope it doesn't suck.

J

laurence

Post by laurence » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:07 pm

Damn, I thought someone was MIA, i was gona volunteer to lead a search n rescue.

The search parties are the best!

They carry on aaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll weekend! :wink:
I have no pets but enjoy drawing pictures of insects and sending them to people

gort

Post by gort » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:13 pm

well damn, up against De La and Cut Chemist.. hell yes you're gonna get overshadowed .. they've been doin that for years. But we know that formula. I think (esp. producers and beat lovin') people like to hear new stuffs.. i know i do!

im lovin the Diplo beats on the MIA cuts, ive heard some DJ mixes out of Brazil. I'm callin it all "FUNK BALLS". cuz it's funny. some are callin it "Baile" funk. "Baile" in Portuguese im pretty sure means "Ball" as in, "lets goto the ball" or whatever.. so= Funk Balls! haha.. so immature. but come on.. balls are funny.

dirty miami bass electro shit + 60s/70s funk music = Funk Balls or Baile Funk or Funk Carioca or Favela Funk or CALL IT WHATEVER! Its from Brazil and it's new(ish) (in america) and I LIKE IT. 8)

check out:

http://www.reasoner.org/archives/355
http://www.cokemachineglow.com/audio/fa ... _blast.mp3
"Bonde Do Role" (on Diplo's label "Mad Decent")
DJ Balegatzzo's show on Divaradio.net
"Bonde do Tigrao"

or just google some shit! there's tons. serious.
hi-q hits and handclaps not holywars and hand grenades

Contra

Post by Contra » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:39 pm

gort wrote:well damn, up against De La and Cut Chemist.. hell yes you're gonna get overshadowed .. they've been doin that for years. But we know that formula. I think (esp. producers and beat lovin') people like to hear new stuffs.. i know i do!

im lovin the Diplo beats on the MIA cuts, ive heard some DJ mixes out of Brazil. I'm callin it all "FUNK BALLS". cuz it's funny. some are callin it "Baile" funk. "Baile" in Portuguese im pretty sure means "Ball" as in, "lets goto the ball" or whatever.. so= Funk Balls! haha.. so immature. but come on.. balls are funny.

dirty miami bass electro shit + 60s/70s funk music = Funk Balls or Baile Funk or Funk Carioca or Favela Funk or CALL IT WHATEVER! Its from Brazil and it's new(ish) (in america) and I LIKE IT. 8)

check out:

http://www.reasoner.org/archives/355
http://www.cokemachineglow.com/audio/fa ... _blast.mp3
"Bonde Do Role" (on Diplo's label "Mad Decent")
DJ Balegatzzo's show on Divaradio.net
"Bonde do Tigrao"

or just google some shit! there's tons. serious.

baile means dance....in spanish.