|||Global Warming/Conservation What do You do...|||

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
udp

Post by udp » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:20 pm

Okay, I don't get environmentalists hatred for humans. Someone please clue me in. I'll confess to have read only the first and last pages in this thread, but it sure is down on humans, and since we are all humans..... get my confusion?
OS X.5 MacBook Core 2Duo 2.2ghz, 2Gig RAM Mackie Onyx 400F m-audio BX8's, Oxygen 8, Zoom H-4, Alesis Masterlink, Bitstream 3x
http://www.udpmusic.com

TomTom

Post by TomTom » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:41 pm

Okay, I don't get environmentalists hatred for humans. Someone please clue me in.
I don't understand the self-loathing either. I'm wondering, since mankind is such a blight on this planet, why we should give a rip about the calamities of Africa...famine, AIDS, genocide. Those are good things, right?

udp

Post by udp » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:42 pm

TomTom wrote:
Okay, I don't get environmentalists hatred for humans. Someone please clue me in.
I don't understand the self-loathing either. I'm wondering, since mankind is such a blight on this planet, why we should give a rip about the calamities of Africa...famine, AIDS, genocide. Those are good things, right?
Well at least those events keep the population down, so in the eyes of the environmentalist that would be good. Right?
OS X.5 MacBook Core 2Duo 2.2ghz, 2Gig RAM Mackie Onyx 400F m-audio BX8's, Oxygen 8, Zoom H-4, Alesis Masterlink, Bitstream 3x

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:21 pm

Unfortunately the suffering in Africa is happening too slowy to be truly effective, it's taking a lot of resources to deal with it. Bush didn't help when he revoked contraceptive aid to ANY country that endorses abortions (I so hate that 'man').

What we need is a good old fashioned ritualistic MASS suicide cult. Maybe Jerry Falwell could be hypnotised into organising this. It would be important to use poisons with short half lives so the scavenging animals wouldn't be harmed.

Let's Have A War - Fear (great f-ing punk band)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4PmO9Pavqc
nevermind the video unless you like Farscape (I think that's the show)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

udp

Post by udp » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:39 pm

Tone Deft wrote:Unfortunately the suffering in Africa is happening too slowy to be truly effective, it's taking a lot of resources to deal with it. Bush didn't help when he revoked contraceptive aid to ANY country that endorses abortions (I so hate that 'man').

What we need is a good old fashioned ritualistic MASS suicide cult. Maybe Jerry Falwell could be hypnotised into organising this. It would be important to use poisons with short half lives so the scavenging animals wouldn't be harmed.

Let's Have A War - Fear (great f-ing punk band)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4PmO9Pavqc
nevermind the video unless you like Farscape (I think that's the show)
So explain to me the self hatred that environmentalists have.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:45 pm

you're trolling... no?

You can't use electricity, manufactured goods or processed foods without contributing to the downward slide that the environment is taking, let alone do enough to stop that slide.

It's like that Chapelle skit where Chapelle plays a blind black man who's racists towards black people, imagine if someone told him he was black.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:51 pm

Pitch Black wrote:This pic is 4 years old, but I'd never seen it before. On the left is ALL the water on the planet represented by the blue globe. On the right is all the air in the atmosphere. Makes you think...

Are you meaning drinkable fresh water?

If that's the case then I believe it. I think the next global struggle and economy will be about controlling the drinkable water.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:03 pm

TomTom, it's not about self-hate, it's about humility and deeper thought.

Yes, we have enormous power as humans, but we also have even more responsibility.
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

kramerica

Post by kramerica » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:21 pm

kennerb wrote:
Pitch Black wrote:This pic is 4 years old, but I'd never seen it before. On the left is ALL the water on the planet represented by the blue globe. On the right is all the air in the atmosphere. Makes you think...

If that's the case then I believe it. I think the next global struggle and economy will be about controlling the drinkable water.
Don't you think advancement in technology will solve this issue? I'm not sure if it will be fixed in time (the crux of the matter, of course), but there's already been several developments in the scientific field that may well lead to a solution in getting drinkable water out of the oceans.
\,, / (^_^) \,,? /

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:26 pm

kramerica wrote:
kennerb wrote:

Don't you think advancement in technology will solve this issue? I'm not sure if it will be fixed in time (the crux of the matter, of course), but there's already been several developments in the scientific field that may well lead to a solution in getting drinkable water out of the oceans.
Yes but who would control that technology and at what price?

To me that is where the struggle would occur.

It would again make something that was available to the powerful and wealthy and unavailable to the worlds poor. Not that this isn't already a huge factor now.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:07 pm

Those pictures look extremely misleading to me.

Yes, they're a striking reminder that we only have so much water and air but if you spread the volume of those spheres across the earth in a thin layer (but still pretty thick on the human scale) then there's quite a lot there.

ANTI-FLAME DISCLAIMER: This does not mean I don;t care about the environment, I am just a pedantic person who gets annoyed when people take things at face value without thinking through what they actually mean. I either cycle or take the bus to work, recycle as much as possible, refuse all plastic bags at food stores and use my own bag, try to eat only organic produce, use energy saving lightbulbs and generally try to have as little impact on the planet as I can.
Kit: Sony Vaio E-series laptop (Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM) RemoteZero SL, Launchpad, Akai MPD16 drumpad, cheap-ass MIDI keyboard

glu

Post by glu » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:30 pm

monkeyboy wrote:Those pictures look extremely misleading to me.
Well, I bet not to 1/6 of earth's population!

2007- Inadequate access to safe drinking water by over 1.1 billion people

By Year 2025 forecasts state that 2/3 of the world population will be without safe drinking water and basic sanitation services

Thats 16% jumping to 66% in the next 18yrs!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_crisis
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:37 pm

I :heart: www.lifestraw.com - makes me proud to be danish, for a change.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:56 pm

Machinate wrote:I :heart: www.lifestraw.com - makes me proud to be danish, for a change.
Danishes are for old women, gimme a boston cream donut ANY day.

Be proud though, for a breakfast pastry, you kick ass.

Cool device, 700 liters through a thing THAT small, nice.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:46 am

kennerb wrote:
Pitch Black wrote: Image

No that's ALL the water on Earth/in the Biosphere. period.