DJ qstn: transitions between tracks of very different tempo

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
willemaster

DJ qstn: transitions between tracks of very different tempo

Post by willemaster » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:34 pm

Hi there, just wondering what people's techniques are for making transitions between tracks of very different tempo - suddenly rather than gradually changing tempo. The kind of things I've got in mind are sound effects / samples like a build up of noise that hides the change, or a winding up / down turntable (or other 'turntablism'-type) sound, that makes it possible to trigger the next scene after the sound effect using Live's feature of renaming a scene with xxx bpm and automatically switching tempo to this bpm when the scene is triggered.

Specifically I'm looking to move from high 120s bpm to hip-hop tempo for a couple of tracks, then back again.

Have heard it done a lot on DJ compilations and other people's mixes - if anyone knows a good source for sound samples that would do this I would love to know.

Hope that makes sense.

cheers

Hardtoe

Post by Hardtoe » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:31 am

Delay out over the end....end...end..end.end
Can you hear it?

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:15 pm

^^^
That's a favourite in my sets!
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.