Live 6.0.3 & Live 6.0.5 on Windows Vista

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat May 19, 2007 9:12 am

this is an automated response......your thread will self-destruct in 5 seconds.....

Ok, no, but I need to occupy the top section of the thread........

Ok, carry on........

Ruso

Post by Ruso » Mon May 21, 2007 4:48 pm

I have some issues in vista.... first of all sound card drivers work differently under vista, it took me a long time to find a sweet spot with asio for them to work.... The UI of ableton is sluggish however the audio itself is just fine.

When using asio 4 all, changing options is slow.....

I wiill actually start making music today.

I have no choice about vista, I just bought a new lap top, none of the newer lap tops come with xp any more, and in a lot of cases downgrading to xp is not supported so there's no drivers and also voids warranty....

I worked my ass off for about a day trying to make xp work right with no luck....

Oh well I guess it all works now except for m-audio hasn't released a midi driver for my midi interface yet :(.

aburgener

Post by aburgener » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:14 pm

What kinda M-Audio interface? My Axiom just worked automatically and I didn't even install any drivers...

Rod Underleaf

Post by Rod Underleaf » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:35 pm

Hi and thanks for the announcement. Does the Vista "superfetch" function work well with a USB flash drive in speeding up data access in Ableton? Thanks!

matsimpson

Post by matsimpson » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:22 am

Running Live 6.05 on a laptop with Vista, the audio cuts out and in even when CPU usage is minimal (i.e. 1%). The test tone isnt even working properly! Its crackly and distorted, and is a pulse rather than a constant tone. I have HUGE latency with playing midi through the computer keyboard, and the sound that comes out (when on monitor) is also crackly and cuts out...so if i played one note it would crackle, cut out, then when it came back in would be as if ive got a tremolo effect on it or something.
Reducing CPU usage does nothing (ive made a few sets and combined tracks, frozen tracks, converted a midi track to audio to save CPU etc but it does nothing).
And none of this occurs with Live on XP!

Rod Underleaf

Post by Rod Underleaf » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:47 pm

Probably a driver for one of your "computer devices" needs upgrading if it exists yet.

Most likely not an Ableton with Vista issue.

petebristol

Post by petebristol » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:51 pm

matsimpson wrote:Running Live 6.05 on a laptop with Vista, the audio cuts out and in even when CPU usage is minimal (i.e. 1%). The test tone isnt even working properly! Its crackly and distorted, and is a pulse rather than a constant tone. I have HUGE latency with playing midi through the computer keyboard, and the sound that comes out (when on monitor) is also crackly and cuts out...so if i played one note it would crackle, cut out, then when it came back in would be as if ive got a tremolo effect on it or something.
Reducing CPU usage does nothing (ive made a few sets and combined tracks, frozen tracks, converted a midi track to audio to save CPU etc but it does nothing).
And none of this occurs with Live on XP!
im having similar problem on my new ACER laptop (AMD 64x2, 2GB RAM) running Vista. It seems to be running really slow and audio cuts out when you move sounds around the screen etc. It took me a while to get the buffer sliders right so it wasnt just completely crackly.

I hoping this is just the inbuilt soundcard though as its not ASIO - I've just ordered an EMU 1616 so fingers crossed...

Hades

Post by Hades » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:37 pm

Ruso wrote:
I have no choice about vista, I just bought a new lap top, none of the newer lap tops come with xp any more, and in a lot of cases downgrading to xp is not supported so there's no drivers and also voids warranty....
same here.
brand new vaio laptop. they simply don't sell new laptops with XP.
Live works ok for most part, but it can't find my ASIO drivers.
I've made sure I downloaded the vista compatible drivers for my echo audiofire8 (they didn't have them available untill somewhere in february I think), and tried re-installing several times.
no luck so far.

anyone else had a similar problem with Live not finding the asio ?

woodwardjnr

Post by woodwardjnr » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:30 pm

Live cant find my asio drivers

Hades

Post by Hades » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:19 am

well, I certainly hope they'll be able to find why.
I've had a few replies from them for this problem, but basically, all they did was check all the possible external problems that there could be that might be the cause.
as soon as we'd gone through those, they said I gotta wait till they support Vista officially.
of course, that doesn't help me much.

I understand ableton ain't a huge company that can allow to put a ton of people at work to get familiar with Vista, so naturally this needs time,
it's just that I hope this won't take another half year or so. :? :(

comradec

Post by comradec » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:20 pm

This is all very confusing!

I'm thinking of moving to a software-based studio setup and considering Live 6 to use with my new Samsung R70 laptop, but the guidance on whether or not it actually works with Windows Vista seems rather contradictory.

Will I find myself in a compatibility minefield if I attempt to use Live with Vista? Should I opt for an easy life and buy Cakewalk Sonar 6, which advertises itself as fully compatible with Vista?

I'd be starting out as a beginner with Live and, whilst I'm prepared to 'tweak' my laptop system to some extent, I don't to spend all my time trying to resolve technical issues instead of getting on with the songwriting I'd be buying Live to help me with.

sausage dog

Post by sausage dog » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:53 pm

You got ASIO4ALL working? Even the audio outs on your audio interface?

What soundcard are you using?
Ruso wrote:I have some issues in vista.... first of all sound card drivers work differently under vista, it took me a long time to find a sweet spot with asio for them to work.... The UI of ableton is sluggish however the audio itself is just fine.

When using asio 4 all, changing options is slow.....

I wiill actually start making music today.

I worked my ass off for about a day trying to make xp work right with no luck....

Oh well I guess it all works now except for m-audio hasn't released a midi driver for my midi interface yet :(.

queglay

Re: Live 6.0.3 & Live 6.0.5 on Windows Vista

Post by queglay » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:58 am

Alex wrote:Dear All,

The following are a few words concerning the Windows Vista
(32bit) compatibility of Live 6.0.5 & Live 6.0.3.
We have tested Live on only a few Vista systems so far so there may be other problems as well.

Therefore if you experience a bug or misbehavior on Windows Vista
which is different from the behavior on Windows XP, please let us know.
what about live 6.0.7?
and what about vista 64? its the only version that came with my laptop so there should be support for that too.

I'm not expecting live to be operating and utilizing full 64 bit processing anytime soon. i understand that would probably be a full rewrite. (but when it happens it will be great)

but compatibility so that live just runs in a 64 bit environment (in 32 bit mode) is very important and i hope it gets resolved soon.

im running vista 64 on an nw8440. i got lucky with my hardware, and its very very stable. no crashes at all yet, incredible display performance and interface response. but live 6.0.7 is a dog. horendous latency, glitch issues and meter feedback. i alsa have vista 64 compliant drivers for my fireface 800.
Load VST Presets from Push's Browser!
http://www.audiomodder.com

RandomBeat

Post by RandomBeat » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:35 am

live and vista is working just fine for me, with a core 2 duo, 2gb ram, vista 32 bit home premium and motu ultralite.....

occaisional blue screen after i perform, but ive used it for over 3 hours straight, 10-12 times without issue so far during the performance, and the bluescreen seems linked to shutting off the motu, not live.

novation remote zero sl also working fine, aswell as mpd24. Microkontrol however doesnt work usb with vista.......and the novation bassstation vst that came with the remote zero seems to be finicky.....
every other monday --LiveCast @ ibreaks.co.uk-- 5-7pm EST

queglay

Post by queglay » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:44 am

ok so it works for you. but im not so lucky. just reporting it, cos it needs fixing. and im running vista 64.
Load VST Presets from Push's Browser!
http://www.audiomodder.com