Stop bashing rap and hip-hop

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
D K

Post by D K » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:31 pm

djadonis206 wrote:
umm, most white people don't like rap music - More black people are into house then White people are into rap
are you kidding?
almost every white kid in the u.s. going to college listens to rap and hip hop lol!
it put the touring circuit college bands out of business in the '90s...
all the frat houses started hiring hip hop dj's.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:43 pm

D K wrote:almost every white kid in the u.s. going to college listens to rap and hip hop lol!
That's only because they had just read Kipling's "White Man's Burden" and felt guilty.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:59 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote: I mean house music is made for an audience that will run the other direction the second you take out that 4 on the floor kick.
you're trying to say that there is no audience for house music?

I'm sorry but thats just insane...
of course that's not what i'm saying.

I'm saying that the audience runs away at any deviation from the 4 on the floor beat. You can't have a house track without that convention. Wheter or not you like all of the things going on in hip[ hop right now, you have to admit that there is much greater breadth to what it is as a genre. To not acknoledge that is insane.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:01 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote:you're only allowed to shit on hyphy music after you've made at least one track that can move a dance floor as much as a rick rock beat.
So I go to
http://www.rickrockbeats.com/home.htm
to check him out.

The music on his web page is 'I Wear My Sunglasses At Night' over a kick.

Fuck man, I feel so unclean... 'sup with that BULLSHIT?!?!

Oh yeah, that track *is* horrible. I think it's supposed to be funny. Check out "18dummy". Or anything off the first federation album, which is amazingly diverse in styles.

or any of the stuff he's doing for E40.

.lm.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:05 pm

Daim wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote: I feel like hip hop as a genre has really continued to grow and evolve a whole lot more.
my opinion is that 99,999% of all hiphop tracks nowadays are strictly popmusic made for people who try to be cool.. i might be wrong but this is what i see every day. it has gone completely pop and there's only a few still good hiphop artists

That's ridiculous! of course you're only going to hear pop hip hop on the radio or on tv. What sort of electronic music / rock / whatever would you think existed if you didn't go in search of it.

there has been a lot of very interesting underground shit in the last 7 years. Some of it has even bubbled up to the semi-mainstream. How many folks know MFDOOM or madlib or dangermouse etc. etc.....

a lot of people want to talk shit about the genre as a whole but aren't making an effort to hear what's out there!

.lm.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:19 pm

D K wrote:
djadonis206 wrote:
umm, most white people don't like rap music - More black people are into house then White people are into rap
are you kidding?
almost every white kid in the u.s. going to college listens to rap and hip hop lol!
there's a lot of white people / kids in the United States...per the census more white kids then black kids...and you're saying White boys in Alabama, Mississippi, Ohio, Kansas, Wyoming, Arkansas, South Carolina, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Colorado, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri, Indiana, Tennesse, Idaho and Kentuky are listening to more rap music then whatever else (emo, indie, new country, pop etc) white kids their age listen to between the ages of 18 and 25????

but if MTV Hits is any reflection of what people are listening to it's still pop music, not rap / hip hop

the fuse channel is mostly rock, indie emo stuff and Seattle still only has one station that plays some modern day rap / hip hop

sure hip hop is a culture and it really seems like everyones listening to it but in reality - hip hop still isn't topping the college radio charts - such as KEXP (which has a hip hop show on Sundays)

I bet more Asain kids listen to hip hop then white kids

but I was talking about the white race as a whole - not 16 to 21 year olds

but you would have thought all frat boys were into techno - I've played several frat parties at the U <-- that doesn't mean frat row is jacked on E with posters of DJ RUSH on their walls...
Last edited by djadonis206 on Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:19 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:
Daim wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote: I feel like hip hop as a genre has really continued to grow and evolve a whole lot more.
my opinion is that 99,999% of all hiphop tracks nowadays are strictly popmusic made for people who try to be cool.. i might be wrong but this is what i see every day. it has gone completely pop and there's only a few still good hiphop artists

That's ridiculous! of course you're only going to hear pop hip hop on the radio or on tv. What sort of electronic music / rock / whatever would you think existed if you didn't go in search of it.

there has been a lot of very interesting underground shit in the last 7 years. Some of it has even bubbled up to the semi-mainstream. How many folks know MFDOOM or madlib or dangermouse etc. etc.....

a lot of people want to talk shit about the genre as a whole but aren't making an effort to hear what's out there!

.lm.
I think the same could be said for those that make broad generalizations about other genres of music. Ahem.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:22 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:

a lot
Ableton | Elektron

Music

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:23 pm

I thought 99% of people who listen to Bollywood songs are Indian.

Then I called Dell's support hot line and was told otherwise.Image

bradelectro

Post by bradelectro » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:03 am

Interesting...

My impression was that rap music *is* pop music now. Rock had it's day, it's Green Day as it were, but hip-hop DOMINANTES pop culture: radio, MTV, magazines, fashion, culture, etc. Then again I live in Oakland- I know it's different in the rest of the US.
How many folks know MFDOOM or madlib or dangermouse etc. etc.....
Every college kid knows them and downloads artists like them by the terabyte. They used to listen to SubPop, now they listen to Anticon. Proves my point- rap is pop, even if it's marketed as "alternative."

And I don't have a problem with any of that! I just wish I could turn on KMEL and hear something besides out-of-key hook-fests with shitty MC work on top.

"Uh-huh, rap's outta control (For sure dude!)"

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:55 am

bradelectro wrote:I find myself bashing hip-hip that *doesn't* use samples, like the aforementioned Dirty South stuff, the Hyphy stuff we have to live with out here in Oakland and every other mediocre reginoal movement that produces exclusively with Korg Triton presets (don't forget the out of key rave stabs and novelty percussion!). And the MC's??? You GOTTA be kidding me. I can't rap at all but neither can these guys. God you just wanna see KRS-ONE come back from the dead and eat them all up with one verse or "16" or whatever the fuck you call it these days.

See, I'm one of those guys who bitches and moans about how great rap music used to be, when the SP1200 ran shit...when New York ran shit. Guys like me stopped listening after 1996 really. And I try to convince my fiance, I try to tell all the shortys on my block, I try to tell the MC I record with every Sunday...but none of 'em wanna hear me. All they wanna hear is twinkly little tunes with emulated 808 drums and a 6-to-1 hook-to-verse ratio. It's over for me, loooong over- the love is indeed gone. So yeah OP I'm gonna bash hip-hop. No worries- you can bash house music and we're even.

Still, I can't believe I'm actually one of those over 30 y.o. white guys who says he hates rap. That was NEVER gonna be me! :cry:
Isn't it fucked up to be bitching about missing rap's 'good old days' when Ice Cube called us devils and meant it? But I am right there with you.

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:21 am

I Hate rap & Hip Hop.

Only Techno is good music.

and only intel macs are good computers.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:17 am

bradelectro wrote:Interesting...

My impression was that rap music *is* pop music now. Rock had it's day, it's Green Day as it were, but hip-hop DOMINANTES pop culture: radio, MTV, magazines, fashion, culture, etc. Then again I live in Oakland- I know it's different in the rest of the US.
How many folks know MFDOOM or madlib or dangermouse etc. etc.....
Every college kid knows them and downloads artists like them by the terabyte. They used to listen to SubPop, now they listen to Anticon. Proves my point- rap is pop, even if it's marketed as "alternative."

And I don't have a problem with any of that! I just wish I could turn on KMEL and hear something besides out-of-key hook-fests with shitty MC work on top.

"Uh-huh, rap's outta control (For sure dude!)"
I agree that hip hop is pop music now but I think you're looking at this very narrowly. poprock/indie is still very prominant and not every kid out there is downloading anticon by the terabyte.

in fact to be honost I'm willing to bet money I could ask 30 high school kids who anticon was and only 2 or 3 would have ever hear of him, 1 of them could tell you half a lyric of one of his songs. where as those same 30 kids all know green day songs, and they know fallout boy and all that crap too.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

ohiowa

Post by ohiowa » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:11 pm

rap music is being ruined the same way that rock music is being ruined and most electronic music is being ruined.

SATURATION!

true it's easy to get fruity loops and a usb mic and write rap music
true it's easy to get a shitty guitar and a few other idiots and make shitty rock music
true it's easy to put your tracks up on myspace and act like you are important
true YOU'RE NOT, EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING IT TOO!

just because you can doesn't mean you can stop there. write something interesting, push the genre that you're immersed in to become something new, this will proabably start some debate but the Anticon, Tigerbeat6, Touch, Kill Rock Stars, Kranky, Constellation, Touch & Go, and Holy Mountain labels have taken genres and pushed their limits to new places. how have these people done it when everyone else is languishing in "guitar genter credit card band" inertia? CREATIVITY!

Rap pisses people off because it is a different approach to music than everyone is used to, same with most computer music. to the outside eye it looks easy, a lot of times it is done simply and without creativity (people pressing spacebar and jumping around or someone hitting play on a CD player and yelling with five of their friends over it) But this is just the equivalent to all the idiots poorly playing "smoke on the water" or "stairway to heaven" at a guitar center, people forget to come up with their own ideas, and sometimes they can make a carreer out of it. A lot of times it just ends up being more crap on the pile us music lovers have to sift through to hear something that moves us.

sorry for the rant, hope it resonates with some of you out there
// u n u r //
moderntapes.com/unur
facebook.com/uunnuurr
anywhere anyone 12"ep
coming soon!