How do I update to Live 6.05 rather than install everything?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bagginz

How do I update to Live 6.05 rather than install everything?

Post by bagginz » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:18 pm

First of all, t's great that Ableton have released a new update already .

I have Live 6.03 and want to install the new 6.05

So, how can I just update the programme rather than install the new one discretely along with all that other... er.... stuff (naff sampler programmes, complex directory structures) which I'll never use - and have so painstakingly tidied up?

Any ideas?

Cheers,
bagginz

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:50 pm

Run the setup.

Before running Live 6.05 for the first time, go to the install directory and remove all of the livepacks. This way, Live will load up and not reinstall all the livepacks upon first launch.

bagginz

Post by bagginz » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:15 pm

nebulae wrote:Run the setup.

Before running Live 6.05 for the first time, go to the install directory and remove all of the livepacks. This way, Live will load up and not reinstall all the livepacks upon first launch.
Hmm well it's not the live pack installation, it's the creation of a new directory structure etc. that's the problem.

I would like just to update the core programme and NOT create another install folder etc.

Anyone have a safe, tried and trusted method for doing this

I am surprised Ableton didn't also release just an updater?

Cheers,
bagginz

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:20 pm

but the upgrade involves a whole new directory structure as well as the replacement of device/fx chains with racks...you can't go to 6 without doing this.

My suggestion is to upgrade, then merge the installed library with your older library, then use the library management tools to convert all old patches to L6. That's what I did, and it worked out fine.

jamester

Post by jamester » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:01 pm

nebulae wrote:but the upgrade involves a whole new directory structure as well as the replacement of device/fx chains with racks...you can't go to 6 without doing this.
He's already on Live 6, just 6.03.

I'm curious about updating as well, since I'm still on 6.01. Do I need to install each update one-by-one, sequentially?
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:04 pm

jamester wrote:I'm curious about updating as well, since I'm still on 6.01. Do I need to install each update one-by-one, sequentially?
No. Go straight to 6.05.

drewbixcube

Post by drewbixcube » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:22 pm

Am I misunderstanding something here? All I did to update from 6.03 was drag the 6.05 folder to my apps folder and away I went. Is there another/better way to update? I will admit I'm not all that computer savvy but Live makes updates extremely easy... for me anyway. But then again, I don't pay too much attention to the directory structures :wink:

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:17 am

With Ableton, every version is it's own separate entity. There is no "update" per se. It is a new and complete version of the program

That's just how it is.

bagginz

Post by bagginz » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:10 am

longjohns wrote:With Ableton, every version is it's own separate entity. There is no "update" per se. It is a new and complete version of the program

That's just how it is.
Ah is that so?

O.k, longjohns I'll just have to:

1. install 6.05 to a new directory,.

2. Point the new 6.05 version to my 6.03 Ableton library (on my data drive)

3. Eventually delete/ uninstall 6.03 from my programmes folder

cheers,
bagginz

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:29 am

You should not have to actually do anything to point the new version at the Library you've already established.

jyang

Post by jyang » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:34 am

That's what everyone has to do...

You can keep your old version intact until you are happy with the new one working fine. But yeah, just delete it later. (Or uninstall if you are windows)

I don't see why you would have to redirect your Library path, unless you use a path other than the default path. I don't think the Library path is version specific, rather just the 'Library'. When I use a new version Ableton just uses the same Library - even if both versions are installed. That's on OS X.
"One need not fear the future of music..." JC

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:49 am

I believe that each version has it's own preferences, but upon a new install it must copy the preferences from the last installed version.

shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:09 am

so is this a MAc or Windows install. I assume they are quite different. A MAc install is basically 1 main file in it's on folder. I think the rest of the file structure stays the same outside of the main install folder. A Pc from memory is quite different.. but have not done one scince version 4 so cant directly compare... If it is MAc why cant you just drag the live app over the older one?
MacbookPro Core2Duo 17" 160 gb SATA 2gb ram.
Korg M3
1 Terabyte External Drive
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,