new NIN april 17

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:40 pm

I just picked up Mythmaker and was kinda disappointed (again). SP are the reason i got into electronic music, and the last couple albums have only been so so. They kinda went downhill when they stopped doing heroin IMO (Last rights is still my fav), which is sad I know. The new stuff has way too much rock/guitar influences for me. It's always been in their music, but not so up front.

Download now, different story :) I like all of cEvin's solo work though...

I actually like the new NIN stuff just posted, which is nice as Fragile (especially) and With Teeth really kinda seemed aimless to me.

I grew up In Chicago during the hey day of Wax Trax, those were such awesome times. You'd be in there shopping for records and see all these famous, completely approachable people all the time.

tribewalker

Post by tribewalker » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:47 pm

SP as in skinny puppy?

those guys rock....although i think i agree....musically though kevin key and dr goetle carried the band....

anyways....yeah.....kevin key or cevin key or whatever, does alot of side stuff....

and besides i thought skinny puppy basically was done with and are just releasing anthologies/b sides now....
===============
audio engines are going to differ very slightly betwen 200 dollar soft synths

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:12 pm

Yes SP as in Skinny Puppy, and they are back in action for a couple years now. Two new CDs (one JUST came out) and a few tours too. Their last tour was loads of fun, there's a DVD out now of it if you missed it.

But, the new SP is not really the same as the old SP. Cool that they have more modern glitchy sound, sucks that they have a more modern glitchy sound :)

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:28 pm

Tarekith wrote:I just picked up Mythmaker and was kinda disappointed (again). SP are the reason i got into electronic music, and the last couple albums have only been so so. They kinda went downhill when they stopped doing heroin IMO (Last rights is still my fav), which is sad I know. The new stuff has way too much rock/guitar influences for me. It's always been in their music, but not so up front.

Download now, different story :) I like all of cEvin's solo work though...

I actually like the new NIN stuff just posted, which is nice as Fragile (especially) and With Teeth really kinda seemed aimless to me.

I grew up In Chicago during the hey day of Wax Trax, those were such awesome times. You'd be in there shopping for records and see all these famous, completely approachable people all the time.
you just blew my mind with this.

the new cd MythMaker has a rock feel to it? how? where? please show me. that album has less guitar on it than TGWOTR and The Process, not to mention the guitar used on MythMaker isn' even up front in your face, its mixed in.

this album has a lot of Download in it, a lot of Cev if you actually listened to it.

also, this new nin is more with teeth than any other nin album ??!?!?!!?

you totally made me do one of these :?

glu

Post by glu » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:03 pm

the most comprehensive info on nin's new concept/conspiracy album

http://forum.gorillamask.net/showthread.php?p=1907422
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

mechcon

Post by mechcon » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:27 am

ploy wrote:
mechcon wrote:meh, after hearing that nin blatantly rips off skinny puppy (who been around longer and produced more than nin) and the fact that ohgr's work is more appealing to me...

I'm kind of over nin when i turned 18 :P

Also when I first got into industrial music, I was given The Fragile.. I gave it back to my mate and said "you got anything better?" so a compilation cd with kmfdm, skinny puppy, spk, throbbing gristle, clock dva, etc etc sold me to learn about the TRUE concept of industrial music

Many of those bands influenced my work, and still does!
and most of that are boring as hell. the "true" concept of industrial, wow, your mommy would be proud. nine inch nails made no secret of the idea combining psychedelic, wave, industrial, avantgarde and catchy pop in an unique way and they did really great on "the downward spiral", which just fucks up mostly all your stupid influences. kmfdm for example is just a bad joke for ugly kids, even the highly acclaimed throbbing gristle are more overrated than interesting. skinny puppy have a few good tracks, but their last releases are shitty. spk?? get pampered.

mmhmmm and i suppose Throbbing Gristle's older work and Einsturzende Neubauten is nothing either?
iMac 2.16GHz, MacBookPro 2.4GHz, OS10.5.4, Logic Studio, Live6.0.10, Reason4, Presonus Firebox, EvoMK429c, BehringerUMX25, Korg PadKontrol, NovationRemoteSL0.

http://www.mechanisedconvulsions.com

tricil

Post by tricil » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:31 am

Digi V wrote:the new single SurvivaliSUM is up on their myspace, and the official leaked version is out floating around with my violent heart.

i've been a NIN fan since broken, i loved that album,i liked TDS a lot, and i thought the Fragile could have been the best if it wasn't so bloated.

howeveer, With Teeth sucked balls, i thought that was gonna be a one time shot for trent and that he'd change his ways, NOPE.

Survivialisum might be the worst song ever released by the guy, seriously, and my violent heart sounds like a drum pattern someone here posted before lmao.

the days of being "oh man, i wish i created that" in reference to nine inch nails is loooooong gone.

thank god Skinny Puppy's Mythmaker is solid gold or else this year would have been a huge disappointement
funny that. i find these 2 nin songs stronger than all of Mythmaker.

and i have tattoos from too dark park :(
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:07 pm

Digi V wrote: you just blew my mind with this.

the new cd MythMaker has a rock feel to it? how? where? please show me. that album has less guitar on it than TGWOTR and The Process, not to mention the guitar used on MythMaker isn' even up front in your face, its mixed in.

this album has a lot of Download in it, a lot of Cev if you actually listened to it.

also, this new nin is more with teeth than any other nin album ??!?!?!!?

you totally made me do one of these :?
Ok, maybe my choice of adjectives wasn't as applicable to the new CD. But I still think the two newest CDs have a much different vibe and sound than all of their previous work.

Songs like Pedafly and Politikil are what i was referring to mainly.

ploy

Post by ploy » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:57 pm

mechcon wrote:
ploy wrote:
mechcon wrote:meh, after hearing that nin blatantly rips off skinny puppy (who been around longer and produced more than nin) and the fact that ohgr's work is more appealing to me...

I'm kind of over nin when i turned 18 :P

Also when I first got into industrial music, I was given The Fragile.. I gave it back to my mate and said "you got anything better?" so a compilation cd with kmfdm, skinny puppy, spk, throbbing gristle, clock dva, etc etc sold me to learn about the TRUE concept of industrial music

Many of those bands influenced my work, and still does!
and most of that are boring as hell. the "true" concept of industrial, wow, your mommy would be proud. nine inch nails made no secret of the idea combining psychedelic, wave, industrial, avantgarde and catchy pop in an unique way and they did really great on "the downward spiral", which just fucks up mostly all your stupid influences. kmfdm for example is just a bad joke for ugly kids, even the highly acclaimed throbbing gristle are more overrated than interesting. skinny puppy have a few good tracks, but their last releases are shitty. spk?? get pampered.

mmhmmm and i suppose Throbbing Gristle's older work and Einsturzende Neubauten is nothing either?

first: its a personal view. and as told throbbing gristle are nice, but to me not nearly as exciting as their cult-like state. like and listen to some of their earlier work from time to time, sure. neubauten changed in their career not in bad ways, which maybe shows there has been some deeper potential. from all those nurse with wound, cabaret voltaire and (on their better outs) coil do best for me.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:54 pm

I think that everyone who says "NIN sold out/suck now/etc." just have the wrong expectations of NIN. NIN isn't industrial, it's rock/alternative with industrial influence - Like Stabbing Westward, Marilyn Manson, Garbage, Vast, and many other groups. Hell, I still think Pretty Hate Machine was, in many ways, closer to old school hip hop than industrial.

Yes, each Halo sounds different. Trent is a pop artist. In order to sell records, he has to create music that will somehow fit with whatever the current climate of music is at the time, while maintaining a desired feel. The producers and artists with whom he works know this, and their influence has shaped NIN's sound.

And even though NIN is one of my favorite bands, I still laugh at some of the lyrics and concepts at the time. :) They can be a little over the top!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:24 pm

I know right, it's like Trent, dude, cheer up man.

detroitechno

Post by detroitechno » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:18 pm

It's the same story, an artist tries something new and gets shit on. But if an artist "recycles" a concept or sound, then they get shit on for not advancing.

I always here people say "trent fell off after ____" you can put in any album after PHM where the ____ is because he is always changing. Just because you aren't happy with the change doesn't mean it sucks, or he 'fell off'.

NIN isn't 'industrial' so get over that. Comparing it to SP is pointless. Two different artists/groups with a different mind-set and purpose.

The amount of respect Reznor deserves is beyond this entire board of users combined, imho. He is one of the very last mainstream artists worth listening to, and we should be greatfull he's still pushing good music to the mainstream.
A bunch of gear, cords, and a computer...

ploy

Post by ploy » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:20 pm

that´s blinded somehow. lets just speak it out...

pretty hate machine - sexy, funky, catchy
broken - powerful, aggressive, straight
the downward spiral - colourful, intense, spiritual
the fragile - experimental, unfocused, pragmatic
with teeth - boring, polished, lame

development, sure, but not a good one since he got is ass into warm.

glu

Post by glu » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:46 pm

no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:57 pm

i'm tired of people trying to mask mediocre and effortless music with "changing their sound" or accepting someones or a bands new direction.

i dont usually compare an artists previous work to his new work (i hate when people compare new SP to old) but if i did do that with NIN i'd prob think trent should cease makign music all together. At this poitn he isn't better than whats out there, truthfully.

i dont mind pop, i dont mind trent's attempt on With Teeth all that much (even though i find it to be his weakest album) this is what i go to nin for anyways, i go for his good production skills, singing, angst ridden lyrics with a pop twist etc

but this new stuff just sounds awful, god awful. my violent heart has a drum pattern that honestly could have been pulled off a preset somewhere. the synths dont even sound authentic anymore, he used to CREATE sounds that no one had, now he's using things that could can pull off a soundbank.

the songs are bad for mainstream and underground

whatever realm.