Virus and Logic ...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Needs2Know

Virus and Logic ...

Post by Needs2Know » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:18 pm

I know this isnt realative to this forum but I have no where else to go and I'm stuck. I'm trying to get the virus "integrated" with Logic. I had similar problems with LIVE too and I'm thinking the problem is related. I have the TI Keyboard plugged straight into the laptop, and my MOTU Ultralight is plugged into the laptop in through the firewire port.

I create one instrument track in Logic and assign it to the virus. Everything goes good sound wise until I create another track. Then everything goes to shit until the sound cuts off completely to the virus. I have no problem getting the virtual instruments to work its only the virus that isnt functioning.

There is another thing to say. When I plug in the virus if logic is running, a window will pop up asking me if I want to use the virus. If I say yes, Logic will use the audioi nterface in the virus. if i say no the motu gets used. but in both situations i run into the sound cuttting off problem.
LOGIC PRO 7.2 w/ G4 1.67 1.5G RAM . Mac OSX 10.4.8, LIVE 6.0, Virus TI Keyboard, Korg EMX1, AXIOM 25 and Keystation Pro 88 midi controllers, Midisport 2x2 midi interface, UltraLite audio interface and 1 Rode NT3 mic "check, check".

dmacintyre

Post by dmacintyre » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:32 pm

When you say you have the Virus "straight into the laptop" do you mean by USB? If so and you are trying to insert more than one Ti instruments into Logic it will crash. You create one Logic instrument track, insert the virus, then duplicate the instrument track (i.e. another track but still assigned to instrument 1) but change the MIDI channel setting to 2, then do the same for the next channel, etc, etc. Why not open the tutorial Logic song installed in the Ti directory and examine it. That's the best way to work out how to set it up, or read the manual. The fundamental rule is that you can only use the Ti inserted once as a VI. After that you are sending to each of this inserts channels like any other multi-timbral instrument.

If you are using it like a traditional hardware synth as external MIDI gear then ignore the above.

If you REALLY are struggling, I can send you a Logic environment pre-setup for this but that would be conceding that you are beyond reading a very well documented manual and understanding basic principles of using Logic / the Ti. :)

D.

BTW, you do have other places to look, i.e. the Logic forum and the virusti.com forums. I think you might get help there!
I invented coffee

dmacintyre

Re: Virus and Logic ...

Post by dmacintyre » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:34 pm

Needs2Know wrote: There is another thing to say. When I plug in the virus if logic is running, a window will pop up asking me if I want to use the virus. If I say yes, Logic will use the audioi nterface in the virus. if i say no the motu gets used. but in both situations i run into the sound cuttting off problem.
This is Logic's way of alerting you to the fact that there is another audio interface connected to your system. It is giving you the opportunity to use that audio interface - this happens with any interface connected when Logic is running.
I invented coffee

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:12 pm

Make sure you check out the Logic Tutorial that comes with Virus Control, should explain it a bit better for you.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Needs2Know

Post by Needs2Know » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:17 pm

well right after I posted this thread, I went and downloaded the tutorial from the access-music.de web site and it really helped me. a bunch of light bulbs went off and i was like OH! ok. so i deleted the audio regions from the tutorial song and proceded to create some of my own tracks using the existing ones. i didnt change the routing at all....then i hit a fucking brick wall:

last night i was making really cool music, then i decided to watch a dvd on the same laptop(without changing anything in Logic or the Virus). then got drunk and went to bed for about 10 hrs. got up and pressed play and thats when i got audio problems almost instantly.

I'm getting a strange "hissing" noise. at first i thought it was the internal audio interface of the laptop but im getting the exact same problem with my Ultralight and even the Virus keyboard's internal audio interface. With the internal laptop interface the hiss is really bad; to the point it hurts its so lound and anoining.

its almost like the drivers within the virus got corrupted somehow but im hoping thats not it. God forbid the virus is BROKEN!

let me reiterate something about how im routing the tracks: they are the same as the tutorial. i even opened up the tutorial to see if the hissing problem would occur and IT DID.
LOGIC PRO 7.2 w/ G4 1.67 1.5G RAM . Mac OSX 10.4.8, LIVE 6.0, Virus TI Keyboard, Korg EMX1, AXIOM 25 and Keystation Pro 88 midi controllers, Midisport 2x2 midi interface, UltraLite audio interface and 1 Rode NT3 mic "check, check".

Needs2Know

Post by Needs2Know » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:22 pm

I think I'm going to try recording it as a normal synth just to see what I can do there. But the advantages of routing everything through the usb port provides many more options per track as far as adding specific DSPs to each track. Then again maybe I can split off some tracks out of multimode into the Ultralight and just record that way. There should be no latency but the midisport usb port will have to keep up with everything. And I wonder if the timing of the arpegios will sync up with the temo in logic....

I also read on a forum that some guy was having problems getting the 24 bit quality from the USB way. He said when he routed the audio sound through the external outputs into the interface he was able to get 24 bit. I dont know how much truth is in that but that what this dude said.

dmacintyre

Post by dmacintyre » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:14 pm

Needs2Know wrote:
I also read on a forum that some guy was having problems getting the 24 bit quality from the USB way. He said when he routed the audio sound through the external outputs into the interface he was able to get 24 bit. I dont know how much truth is in that but that what this dude said.
Impossible. The USB bandwidth is limited to 16 bit. The Ti has higher bit depth in itself but as soon as audio goes through USB to the computer it is downsampled to 16 bit. There has been extensive discussion on virusti.com about this - you are probably better visiting there for info.

D.
I invented coffee

Needs2Know

Post by Needs2Know » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:37 pm

dmacintyre

thanks for the website!