MAC-PC

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AlanB

MAC-PC

Post by AlanB » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:08 pm

Ok sorry to raise this one..i know iknow.......Im just about to buy a laptop to use just for a Daw....Live Reason audition..etc etc ...Iv alaway used highend Pcs...for years...and its killing me to seriously look at mac for music...

I have almost bought a Toshiba high spec satalite for my machine......but

The main reason that stops me is...really as a professional in the real world
I should know both MAC and PC right ?.....so for me thats the only reason to buy a MAC...
to learn its swing !...

Questions...Am I gonna be able to play more than 5 channels in Live without it stuttering.....

Can I still get pirates to run.....sorry but I like to check befor I buy right !

Will the new 17 inch power book be a good choice ? for a DAW.....

Just give me some more good reasons...would love to hear from PC Laptop users too.....Thanks in advance Al....

PS GET ON THE LOVE OFFENSIVE...

stinky

Re: MAC-PC

Post by stinky » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:43 pm

AlanB wrote:
Can I still get pirates to run.....sorry but I like to check befor I buy right !
dubious, indeed...
The Talented Mr Stinky.

Live Racks Abe-Wiki

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:48 pm

AlanB wrote:Can I still get pirates to run.....
Sure, I got both of them on DVD and they run fine.
Can't wait for the 3rd :D

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:03 pm

Here's the trick most mac pirates are OS 9, so they won't work on your $3000 17" macbook. what you need to do is find the PC cracks that are coded just right that do work in OSX. It is so worth it when you find one that works so keep looking. :)

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:04 pm

AlanB wrote: The main reason that stops me is...really as a professional in the real world
I should know both MAC and PC right ?.....so for me thats the only reason to buy a MAC...
to learn its swing !...

Questions...Am I gonna be able to play more than 5 channels in Live without it stuttering.....

Will the new 17 inch power book be a good choice ? for a DAW.....

Just give me some more good reasons...would love to hear from PC Laptop users too.....Thanks in advance Al....

PS GET ON THE LOVE OFFENSIVE...

Im a mac guy. You realy dont need a mac. Its nice and all, but pc are no problem, and you get much more ....stuf :-D

Also its difficult to get P...stuf to the Mac. Be carefull talking about the P-word around here though, its not very popular ;-)

PCs and Macs are equaly fast now. You can run tons of tracks. If you go mac, choose a 7200rpm disk.

If you have lot of cash, get a macbook pro! Its sweeeet looking :-)

freqn

Post by freqn » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:41 pm

I just switched to mac after being a hardcore pc advocate for 10+ years and I don't see myself going back to pc for creative uses.....ever. If creative use is your aim, shoot for a mac. The workflow can't be beat in my opinion. IF you want a mac, but still want the option of a pc, use bootcamp. It allows you to run windows on pc. Steer away from vista...so far it is a resource hog. My 2 cents

AlanB

Post by AlanB » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:58 pm

Nothing dubious about pirates...Iv worked for many a software co...and in my humble experience soft co love it....How else would we get to know there $10,000 software...so less the dubious...go out and fill ya boots with highend progs....maybe you will have to get a pc to try though !

AlanB

Post by AlanB » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:59 pm

PS ..thanks for the info...think Im gonna try this mac crap just for a laugh..if it fails me Ill go back to my pc ..Thanks for

shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:08 pm

A Mac IS A PC..
probably what you really mean is.. OSX or Windows...

All new Macs can have Windows installed .. you coose at bootup which system to run and it will function the same as the same spec PC of course.

My suggestion is if you want both OS's Buy a new Mac and install Windows through Bootcamp which is free from apple and then choose Windows or OSX at bootup time .. OR Linux if you want . And of course you can get Parallels desktop and run Windows and OSX at the same time if you like. There are a few downsides to running thru Parallels Desktop like no 3D support but thats on the way and you'll see it by the middle of the year .. No firewire support but thats comming soon
So probably running form bootcamp maybe best at least initially But...

Now an important piece of info for you if you want to trey Parallels Desktop.

I am assuming you have a current PC with Windows setup and running the way you like? If so Parallels desktop comes with a piece of software called Transporter. In 6 mouse clicks it will make a perfect reproduction of your PC and turn it into a Virtual Machine or VM as we know it. Copy it to the Mac (it's 2 files) and there you have everything on the Mac as it was on the PC. couldnt be easier.
A nice feature is you just backed up your PC totally. make a copy on a DVD of these 2 files (my 20gigs of data ended up as 4.5 gb in the VM) and you have access to a complete backup. Nice if your Windows setup gets screwed or you change something and want to go back.
MacbookPro Core2Duo 17" 160 gb SATA 2gb ram.
Korg M3
1 Terabyte External Drive
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:47 pm

Machinesworking wrote:most mac pirates are OS 9
totally not true.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:28 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
totally not true.
Yeah? and we should be giving help to somebody who's willing to spend an extra $2000 for a 17" screen high end laptop. ANY argument about lack of funds is total BS after that... Hey man, fuck software developers! Ableton suck!
Stick it to the man!
:evil:

Novel

Post by Novel » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:25 am

Ahoy

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:08 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:
totally not true.
Yeah? and we should be giving help to somebody who's willing to spend an extra $2000 for a 17" screen high end laptop. ANY argument about lack of funds is total BS after that... Hey man, fuck software developers! Ableton suck!
Stick it to the man!
:evil:
I dont get the anger dude. And he didnt argument about lack of funds. If you think you are suporting developers with this additude, I think you are wrong. Sorry, but someone had to say that. Grow up, or flame me down to hell if yo like, I dont care.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:29 pm

I'm impressed,

a mac-pc thread which also includes a side helping of piracy.
two of the most contentious topics on the forum.

But I cant help feel we could do better, add a few more elements. Gay or straight, which is best? perhaps a little Democrats versus Republican angle on the whole thing?

Come on, we can make this the best darn thread on the whole forum!

or at least the most annoying.

:twisted:

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:45 pm

I love the so-called pro's.
They're just so lovable :lol:

Yeah, get the mac with the stuttering tracks..
Beats a stuttering parrot...
"Poly wants a c-c-c-cc-c-c-c-c-ccccrack"