which is better POWERCORE OR UAD-1?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dpel

Post by dpel » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:36 pm

Dave Pelman Music
http://www.davepelman.com

dpel

ON A PC

Post by dpel » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:37 pm

ON A PC
Dave Pelman Music
http://www.davepelman.com

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:00 pm

I've heard only good things about the UAD. I haven't tried any of these myself and am looking to get one, so I would be interested in user opinions as well. BTW, Mackie have a rather busy UAD forum on their site.

six_wax

Post by six_wax » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:36 pm

The UAD compressors rule. I've never heard better compression plugs. I don't do outboard, but many claim that the software versions more than hold their own.

Powercore is a different beast. The ClassicVerb is easily my fave realtime verb plug (kicks the sh1t outta the UAD verbs), and being able to run a handful of them at the same time is very spoiling. The ability to run the Sony EQs on the TCP is also a plus (although one you pay a premium for). Frankly, the rest of the TCP plugs aren't so hot, imo. ymmv.

Of course, if you do alot of track intensive projects, being able to offload the host processor is a life-saver. In practice, these might be less useful for Live, um, live because they both introduce processing latency...

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:48 pm

Thanks for the info six_wax.

Has anyone tried/heard about the Firewire Powercore? This is the only option for many of us because of our laptop setups.

Any opinions or links to reviews?

jeromepacman

Post by jeromepacman » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:09 am

Has anyone tried/heard about the Firewire Powercore? This is the only option for many of us because of our laptop setups.

The Powercore firewire works fine on mac laptops with the last OS (1.9) released 2 weeks ago. They finally make something new for Live. Better audio performance.

gaspode

Powercore

Post by gaspode » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:58 am

Firewire Powercore is very sweet. the thing is a beast... you can load up quite a few plugins on it and it'll keep chugging. I'm actually considering moving some stuff around my rack to make room for it for road trips... (who needs a power strip in their rack anyways?)...

Anywho... a few notes... I was having a major latency issue lately with my motu 828 and the powercore... this has been going on for a month. Some days it would be fine... others it would be a pain.

And you know what it turned out to be... apparently my system breaks down the firewire channel into two busses, which would normally be fine, but the main bus I have all my audio gear off of is on the same IRQ as my video card... stupid new drivers jammed it.

Having just recently swapped the cables to put my audio gear on the IRQ that is different from my video card and it is running nice and hot... no latency problems.

As was mentioned though, you'll pay a premium for this stuff... if I hadn't already bought a virus c I'd probably plunk down the bucks to get the virus plugin... hell I still might sell off the virus and have a slightly more portable virus in the rack... woot.

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:28 am

hey i dont get latency on my UAD in live 3 , like i do in logic... its nice!!

any other experiences in live?

borg

Post by borg » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:40 pm

you could also have a look at the Creamware Scope cards.
it's more than just a collection of synths (although they sound great)... lotsa i/o options, and a vast collection of fx plugs (CW, 3rd party (commercial and lots of nice free stuff). super latency
if you're looking for big name 3rd party developers, you should look elsewhere though, but as i mentioned: there's a quality community for this platform.
unfortunately, Noah, the hardware version uses USB1, and is more aimed at keyboard players. not really recommended for mixing/mastering.