is there a way..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
weese

is there a way..

Post by weese » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:28 pm

to stop live from scanning my vst's when its booting up? its worked fine since i got it and now that ive downloaded a few plugins it spends 45 minutes booting up just to tell me theres a c++ error and i have to abort. so live is basically unusable at the moment. i will wish a lifetime of glory and happiness to anyone who can help me with this.

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:42 pm

You'll need to remove the plug ins that you just added.

Then add them back one by one until you get hosed again.

You'll then know which vst is mucking up the works.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

weese

Post by weese » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:45 pm

cool thanks. how can i remove them without opening live? i cant find any folder within the Live folder that contains the plugins.right now i have them all in a folder far far away from live.

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:47 pm

weese wrote:cool thanks. how can i remove them without opening live? i cant find any folder within the Live folder that contains the plugins.right now i have them all in a folder far far away from live.
Live is looking at the 'folder far far away' when scanning for VSTs, just move your plugins to a different folder that Live can't see.
..?

tricil

Post by tricil » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:48 pm

it's probably C:/program files/steinberg/vstplugins
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

weese

Post by weese » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:34 am

k ive moved all my vsts somwhere hidden and it still gets stuck on 'scanning vsts' when booting up. ive uninstalled it and reinstalled it and same thing. am i out of options now or is there something else i can do or try? im about to cross the line into deperation.

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:41 am

weese wrote:k ive moved all my vsts somwhere hidden and it still gets stuck on 'scanning vsts' when booting up. ive uninstalled it and reinstalled it and same thing. am i out of options now or is there something else i can do or try? im about to cross the line into deperation.
How long have you left it while it's stuck? I had a few problems with some NI plugins that appeared to be stuck, but eventually, after leaving it for five or ten minutes, it continued scanning and started normally.
..?

weese

Post by weese » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:46 am

NorthernMonkey wrote:
weese wrote:k ive moved all my vsts somwhere hidden and it still gets stuck on 'scanning vsts' when booting up. ive uninstalled it and reinstalled it and same thing. am i out of options now or is there something else i can do or try? im about to cross the line into deperation.
How long have you left it while it's stuck? I had a few problems with some NI plugins that appeared to be stuck, but eventually, after leaving it for five or ten minutes, it continued scanning and started normally.
i think the longest ive waited is probably close to 45 minutes.:/

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:50 am

weese wrote:
NorthernMonkey wrote:
i think the longest ive waited is probably close to 45 minutes.:/
Probably something else then, I've only recently switched to Live so I'm sure there are others on here that can offer you better help, bump your post tomorrow if you don't get an answer tonight.
..?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:01 am

if Live encounters other DLL files other than VSTs it will behave like this. Open the config file and look for the VST path, change it, boot Live then set it to a unique folder.

I set mine to C:/Program Files and it did this.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:10 am

Tone Deft wrote:if Live encounters other DLL files other than VSTs it will behave like this. Open the config file and look for the VST path, change it, boot Live then set it to a unique folder.

I've seen one that was C:/ - once that scan hits the windows folder it's dll city ;)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:13 am

Machinate wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:if Live encounters other DLL files other than VSTs it will behave like this. Open the config file and look for the VST path, change it, boot Live then set it to a unique folder.

I've seen one that was C:/ - once that scan hits the windows folder it's dll city ;)
If that's the case then that's a bit crappy, it isn't that difficult to determine which interfaces a DLL implements, shame on you Ableton!
..?

weese

Post by weese » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:24 am

k bear with me, im not too smart when it comes to doing other things besides making music with my computer...ive looked for a config file and vst path and cant find it. am i supposed to be looking in the live folder?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:26 am

I'm still at work, can't check it out for ya. Yeah, it would be a file in the Program File/Ableton directory, not sure which.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

weese

Post by weese » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:07 am

ive now wiped every vst off my computer, completely removed Live, restarted my computer and then reinstalled it. Its still not getting past the scanning VSTs part of the boot up. im starting to fall into a deep depression. i think i did somethin to offend Live cuz it refuses to go back to normal. any suggestions?