Importing Itunes songs into Live?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Randolf Reimann

Importing Itunes songs into Live?

Post by Randolf Reimann » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:08 am

A friend of mine asked me the other day if she could use Live to play songs from her I Tunes library, she want's to use it like a DJ would, using Lives X Fader and so on. I don't use I Tunes so I thought I'd post this in hope that someone can let me know how to import the I tune files into Lives browser.

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:53 am

Live does not decode MP3.

Use QuickTime Pro's QuickTime Player ($29) to export MP3 to AIFF:

1. File -> Import (select MP3 file)
2. File -> Export (change Export menu to "Sound to AIFF")

-Alex

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:07 am

you don't need quicktime pro

in itunes, go to your preferences, change 'import' to 'AIFF'. select the MP3/AAC file and on the Advanced menu choose 'Convert to AIFF'.

drag file out of itunes into your live directory in the finder.

it helps if you have 'bitrate' as one of your columns in your view. then you can tell which one is aiff and which one is mp3/aac

Randolf Reimann

Post by Randolf Reimann » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:21 am

Thanks people,
Is that Ben 'Trilobyte' Suthers ?

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:33 am

Nice tip -- thanks!

-Alex

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:14 am

Just to add a bit to this, I get a TON of use from iTunes lately for conversions and the like and it's quite good.

Just to speed up the process; You can simply right click (ctrl+click) on any track in iTunes and choose the "Convert To" command. Once it's finished it will most likely be buried in your iTunes Library folder next to the original, no problem. Just right click (ctrl+click) on the new one and choose "Show Song File". The Finder will launch and take you directly to it. It sure beats digging through the HD.

I also wrote a little AppleScript Application droplet thingy to do this drag n' drop style. You can even tell it where to put the converted files beforehand. It's a time saver for me. If anyone wants it let me know. You can also get it at macscripter.net, free of course. Cheers.

noisetonepause
Location: Second row from the expensive puddle, under ten others

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:27 pm

coo tjwett - was dat one called?
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.