How Can I Use My Old Computer With My New One?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Naive Teen Idol

How Can I Use My Old Computer With My New One?

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:42 pm

Friends, I recently upgraded from a G4 w/ OSX 10.2.8, 384MB RAM and MOTU 2408 PCI interface with Live 3 and Reason 2.5 to a MacBook and Live 6 (as noted in my sig). I've barely touched it since I got the new rig, and I figure it's not really worth selling at this point. But is there any way of integrating that computer into my new setup in a useful way?
MacBook 2 GHz Intel CoreDuo, 2GB RAM, Live 6.10, Reason 4.01, Reaktor 5.14, Novation Remote SL 25, GForce Oddity, TimewARP 2600, Arturia CS-80V 2, UC-33e, M-Audio FastTrack Pro, Roland Jupiter 6 w Europa mod

overdub

I don't know much about MAC - but....

Post by overdub » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:00 pm

Check FX-Teleport - there should be a MAC release of it in 2.nd quarter this year.
Fx-teleport lets you host and run plugins on a second computer, freeing up cpu on your main machine :D

link takes you to an interview with the inventor of the app.

have fun
http://www.soniccontrol.com/features/article.php?ID=17
Gearslut :o)

More bass in the hi-hat

www.daffydub.com
www.myspace.com/daffyscrib

Zerobae

Re: I don't know much about MAC - but....

Post by Zerobae » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:20 pm

overdub wrote:Check FX-Teleport - there should be a MAC release of it in 2.nd quarter this year.
it seems that was 2nd quarter of 2006... last thing i found on the fx-max forum is max saying they are working hard on the mac-version, posted on 25th october 2006.
the day will come, though...

nobbystylus

IAC/Net Send AU

Post by nobbystylus » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

By using the build in IAC bus (audio/midisetup in your apps/utilities folder) you can send and receive midi notes/sync etc (from live to another host on your other machine), plus using the Net Send/Receive Audio units you could send and / or receive audio back into live. Could be a way of using your old machine as a soft synth host .. connect over Gigabit ethernet or FireWire for best results..
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

overdub

woops

Post by overdub » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:24 pm

I was only 1 year off, though :oops:
Gearslut :o)

More bass in the hi-hat

www.daffydub.com
www.myspace.com/daffyscrib

Naive Teen Idol

Re: IAC/Net Send AU

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:36 pm

nobbystylus wrote:By using the build in IAC bus (audio/midisetup in your apps/utilities folder) you can send and receive midi notes/sync etc (from live to another host on your other machine), plus using the Net Send/Receive Audio units you could send and / or receive audio back into live. Could be a way of using your old machine as a soft synth host .. connect over Gigabit ethernet or FireWire for best results..
Ah, interesting. Do both machines need to be 10.4.8? My other machine has Reason 2.5 — I wonder if I could use Live on my MacBook to trigger it via MIDI and send the Reason audio back...
MacBook 2 GHz Intel CoreDuo, 2GB RAM, Live 6.10, Reason 4.01, Reaktor 5.14, Novation Remote SL 25, GForce Oddity, TimewARP 2600, Arturia CS-80V 2, UC-33e, M-Audio FastTrack Pro, Roland Jupiter 6 w Europa mod

kcp

Post by kcp » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:24 pm

Naive Teen Idol wrote:
nobbystylus wrote:By using the build in IAC bus (audio/midisetup in your apps/utilities folder) you can send and receive midi notes/sync etc (from live to another host on your other machine), plus using the Net Send/Receive Audio units you could send and / or receive audio back into live. Could be a way of using your old machine as a soft synth host .. connect over Gigabit ethernet or FireWire for best results..
Ah, interesting. Do both machines need to be 10.4.8? My other machine has Reason 2.5 — I wonder if I could use Live on my MacBook to trigger it via MIDI and send the Reason audio back...
I believe both machines need to be 10.4.x to utilize network midi, and yes, it's possible to do what you describe.

Naive Teen Idol

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:45 pm

kcp wrote:
Naive Teen Idol wrote:
I believe both machines need to be 10.4.x to utilize network midi, and yes, it's possible to do what you describe.
Now, I'm familiar with the IAC bus. But what are the Net Send/Receive Audio units?