If you could have only 10 new features in Live 7...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Herne

Post by Herne » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:11 pm

1] Dual monitor support
2] Time signature change support that doesn't need workarounds
3] Better drawing tools for automation, Bezier curves etc.
Live 6.10 | Vista Ultimate | Reason 3 |
Athlon 64 X2 6400 | 4GB DDR2 8000 |
Axiom 61 | BCR2000 | PadKONTROL |

freqn

Post by freqn » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:26 pm

a built in feature to host cross-platform vst's/plugins, if that is even possible.

Landser

Post by Landser » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:46 pm

1. Folder tracks
2. improved automap: user can define the sequence of parameters sent to the HW-controller
3. screensets
4. decent group solo/mute
Last edited by Landser on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mo-seph

Post by mo-seph » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:21 am

1. Clips on returns for automation
2. OSC
3. More complete automap implementation (more controllable parameters, more control surfaces can be assigned - why stop at 6 surfaces and 8 channels?)
4. Overdub on audio
5. Not crashing ;)
6. More slots on Impulse
7. More automation lanes
8. Network tetris-play mode, where your clips pile up on the other guy's screen :lol:
9. Better handling of remote recording commands - some kind of stateless recording, so you know what's going to happen without seeing the screen.
10. Ability to not learn certain controllers, so you can use them even while learning controls on another (but see better automap above...)

stefstab

Post by stefstab » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:20 pm

Manual editing of midi assignments. In L6 you get this lovely screen up when you click MIDI and there listed all the CC numbers and ranges.. WHY CAN'T I EDIT THE CC NUMBER THERE?

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:39 pm

1.Record automation in session.

2.128 parameter limit removed.

3.Folder tracks and group solo.

4.Loop brace select with more looping options.

5.Detachable user config GUI with dual monitor support.

6.New follow actions mode "specify" any clip and follow after release.

7.Navigation spots to assign to cc/key for instant focus on any live element. could only be visable in mapping modes.

8.Master tempo clips in session.

9.Midi beatrepeat buffer type thingy but give it a groove grid to apply custom groove quantise.

10.More Please Sir....macro's,mappable parameters,impulse slots,flexilble gui.........just MORE of what's allready there, deeper even more flexible But still practical.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:31 pm

to keep the simple layout!!!

an absolut NO to any additional or customisable windows!!!

otherwise i pretty much don't care, because for all it can't do well, i use another apps.

and i personally want it to stay that way, live is great because it's different and quick and easy. [which has mostly to do with it's great 'n' easy GUI and therefore a certain 'simple' yet beautifull functionality]

i said this a few times already a long time ago, but if live moves towards becoming just another DAW [like the ones excisting,] then it will be more then uninteresting for me to use it any further and i know i am not alone with that opinion [only here on that lonely forum, but never when i speak to performing artists around me, which includes dozens of well known names], all i want is to keep live simple, simple and very, very simple, but foremost extremely stable as an live performing tool [what it is and should be in the first place].
live hit the market with such an impact, because of it's different approach and philosophy, keep it that way... i feel that most of your requests turning it slowly but shurely away from being "that beautifully different apps" into just another 'boring' already excisting apps, just with a different name.

just my2cents.
*** Image GAFM ***

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:58 pm

I don't understand this "I WANT IT FOR LIVE USE ONLY SO YOU MUST TOO, NO WAY CUBASE 111!!!!111"

well, thanks a lot. If such features are added you can choose not to use multi-lane automation or loop/overdub crossfades, I cannot currently choose to use those features as they dont exist.
So people like you are simply limiting everyones options because you fear the future, that the app will become "bloated". A boogeyman word.

What is this 'bloated' software? It seems to be a figment of people's imagination based on a bastard crossbreed of an 1995 version of CubaseVST and MSword.

In the real world, Bloat is not about having a "too large" feature set but about providing bad access to the feature set. The reason people left Cubase a few years ago was not that it had too many features but that the features were nested under an archaic interface.

So this is why customisable interfaces are good - you can make them SIMPLE, remove all elements which have no meaning for you.

please stop fearing the future.

Poster

Post by Poster » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:14 pm

1. Modulation sources, to be implemented into racks (LFO, envelope, mod. sequencer)..
2. Automation envelope improvements (multiple views, bezier curves)..
3. Impulse 2.0 (better stretch algo, reverse, user definable amount of slots, AHD envelope, different (envelope) loop modes)..
4. Track folders..
5. Beat Repeat 2.0 ( http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight= )..
6. MIDI warp markers.. yes!!
7. Envelopes between warp markers (to make audio even more elastic.. hell yeah!!)..
8. Slicer (at least with grain feature!! (otherwise don't bother)..
9. MIDI features to be implemented into racks (filters/router/scalers/etc.) + smart audio/MIDI routing matrix..
10. Virtual hardware interface ( http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight= )

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:17 pm

Angstrom wrote:I don't understand this "I WANT IT FOR LIVE USE ONLY SO YOU MUST TOO, NO WAY CUBASE 111!!!!111"

well, thanks a lot. If such features are added you can choose not to use multi-lane automation or loop/overdub crossfades, I cannot currently choose to use those features as they dont exist.
So people like you are simply limiting everyones options because you fear the future, that the app will become "bloated". A boogeyman word.

What is this 'bloated' software? It seems to be a figment of people's imagination based on a bastard crossbreed of an 1995 version of CubaseVST and MSword.

In the real world, Bloat is not about having a "too large" feature set but about providing bad access to the feature set. The reason people left Cubase a few years ago was not that it had too many features but that the features were nested under an archaic interface.

So this is why customisable interfaces are good - you can make them SIMPLE, remove all elements which have no meaning for you.

please stop fearing the future.
i am not fearing the future, just speaking my mind.

maybee it sounds all odd what i say, but given my experience over now nearly 2 decades of working in our electronic music enviroment, i just have seen and experienced that less is always more, hence it creates as well a higher craetively more interesting output. music has never been so bad [yes i really mean that!!, and i don't say in the old days everything was better!!!, this is not what i mean!!!] because of to many choices and technical shit we don't need, you don't need blah, blah function or blah, blah computer or blah, blah monitor to create good msuic.

maybee a i am a little off the hook here, apologies!!

maybee i should just admit that i am sick and tired since i do some work for a shop here, of all that technical wanking and that permanent i need this to do that rubish... you need fuck all to create music, ok ok you do, but again a little primitive stuff can get you a long way, unless you don't have any musical talent.

sorry agin to drift into this slightly OT rant, but here we go, i am only human and it just got under my skin lately, all that technical masturbation.

sorry folks, i apalogiese agin and i will shut up.
request whatever makes you happy.

peace.
*** Image GAFM ***

Poster

Post by Poster » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:29 pm

SubFunk wrote:i am not fearing the future, just speaking my mind.

maybee it sounds all odd what i say, but given my experience over now nearly 2 decades of working in our electronic music enviroment, i just have seen and experienced that less is always more, hence it creates as well a higher craetively more interesting output. music has never been so bad [yes i really mean that!!, and i don't say in the old days everything was better!!!, this is not what i mean!!!] because of to many choices and technical shit we don't need, you don't need blah, blah function or blah, blah computer or blah, blah monitor to create good msuic.

maybee i should just admit that i am sick and tired since i do some work for a shop here, of all that technical wanking and that permanent i need this to do that rubish... you need fuck all to create music, ok ok you do, but again a little primitive stuff can get you a long way, unless you don't have any musical talent.

sorry agin to drift into this slightly OT rant, but here we go, i am only human and it just got under my skin lately, all that technical masturbation.

peace.
I understand what you mean, and partly agree..

but see it this way;
just trust Ableton..
Live will never be bloated..
As Angstroms says; it's not about how much features there are, it's about how you acces them..

So far Ableton has done a great job,
and i'll trust them in continuing this..

XPM

Post by XPM » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:43 pm

SecretAsianMan wrote:I'm still a bit new to Live, so please let me know if I just haven't discovered any of these yet.

1. MIDI out / audio in loop module for hardware synths. (!!!)
2. Audio out / audio in loop module for outboard effects. (!!!)
F**kin' A man, that would be fantastic, I think i said this on a thread like this when Live 4 had just been released, and noone responded.
This would also work bloody well with Rewire. ONE CHANNEL FOR MIDI TO REASON AND AUDIO BACK!!!!! fan-bloody-tastic.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:29 pm

Poster wrote:
SubFunk wrote:i am not fearing the future, just speaking my mind.

peace.
I understand what you mean, and partly agree..

but see it this way;
just trust Ableton..
As Angstroms says; it's not about how much features there are, it's about how you acces them..

yeah, peace. of course it's great, i love it. and i know it will continue being so good. as i said, apologies it just got me and i had to rant.
*** Image GAFM ***

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:43 pm

Here are some requests:

1) I expect this because I doubt it is going to be hard to implement without changing the code too much, and professionally it would make sense: Rendering video. We have had a taste of what this can do, and it will make things so much better than having to do grabs through snapz.

2) The most fantastic beat/slice generating tool ever. I know that Ableton wants me to pay another 250 dollars on top of a mandatory upgrade, and it would be the perfect complement for my last $200 one (sampler). The goodness that weaps from sampler is the kind of that could give anyone attention deficit disorder. It simply an uphill battle to select favorites from the raw output of this beauty.

3) Multi-channel midi support. I say this because I really want it. I also say this because I feel that it would probably push back the release date of 7, and my intuition tells me that that would maybe be a good thing. I would rather pay for one or two individual features ahead of the next release (like some did for UB support) and get a discount on the next release (what a friendly strategy- so commendable) as the market demands them or as they are finalized, rather than rush things.

4) Some sort of method for NON-novation-sl-remote lcds o give back feedback. I have sort of given up on my Remote sl in the interim. It keeps updating and introducing widely different an inconsistant bugs. In the meantime I am loving the workflow I have achieved on the vastly ergonomic microkontrol-especially with value-scaling! If lcd display support was paired with multi-channel midi support I can imagine things working out very well.

5) Something like the KT drumtrigger would be nice. While the KT drum trigger is wonderful, it would be ideal if there was a dependable, native equivalent. I would find it particularly useful to have something that could be used to generate midi messages out of/integrated into a beatrepeat.

6) Node-based distributed processing. I am sure that this is a tricky one, but once it was straightened out it would be managable. Right now I've got a G5 power pc with two dualg processors. It would be anice addition to be able to dock my mackbook in my studio via ethernet (or whatever) and get that added boost- if not just for freezing tracks while other tasks are done.

7) I really like the ability to select the start/loop-duration on midi and use it on whatever clip you have selected. This is an invaluable, often unnoticed feature. It allows a certain freedom that works very intuitively. Unfortunately it has some limitations. For some reason it only allows us to downsize the loop duration to a specific size. This makes some DJ-style methods of playing harder. Generally more customizaable features (like we have now with midi) and other implementations (even if optional) of this sort of technology would be invaluable. It was also encourage people to challenge themselves to understand some of the less obvious workflow advantages live and better appreciate it. As of now there are still kids that never find the tab button and think live sucks because it's only session and not garageband-esque. Making this tech easier to manage/customize and more intuitive would incourage a larger market to be able to do more of wha they really want, without having to purchase several controllers.

8) A time machine so that I can post and have time to shower before my collaborator gets here.

9) Similiarly something that will change this lightbulb that just died.

10) please take into consideration my first seven requests.

Poster wrote:
but see it this way;
just trust Ableton..

I can't disagree with you completely on this, because typically I believe the really set some standards. Unfortunately I am a little worried with about some of the new problems with midi feedback. I can't use 6.0.5. and I haven't heared a response in over a week. Though I understand that that thread seems to have become overrun by a landmine of madness, it is frustrating.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:43 pm

Talent button
Ableton | Elektron

Music