Live 6 complaint !!! File management system is messed up

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Amaury

Post by Amaury » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:39 pm

hambone1 wrote:Maybe (probably) I'm being stupid here, but when I drag a clip or set of clips to the browser, I DON'T want a Project Folder created! I just want the Live clip to be saved into an existing normal folder.
Are you saving your clips all over the place, or do you have a folder where you save all of your clips? Because, if you save a clip in an existing Project folder, then the clips simply save, and no new Priject folders are created.

The Project folder thing, again, serves two purpoese (at least):

-being able to save the material belonging to the clips in the same place
-related: being able to create a Live pack from the folder (that can contain all of your clips) and export it. Or even move it to another computer without packing it.

One trick is to copy one of the 'Ableton Project Info' folder at the root of the folder(s) where you save all of your clips, so it is seen as a Project folder right away.

or create a subfolder in the Library, and save your clips there. Live won't create any Project folder then.

best,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:52 pm

Amaury wrote:[Because, if you save a clip in an existing Project folder, then the clips simply save, and no new Priject folders are created.
Excellent! That's what I was too stupid to figure out... :?

Cheers, Amo!

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:01 pm

I admit I have absolutely no trouble with the current file management. Currently work on two machines, one here and one one km away. I use Allway Sync to synchronize an external usb drive with all the Livesets, then open them with no problem on both machines.
This works much better than in V5, it could be better of course, but to me is a big improvement really.
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:06 pm

COMPLETELY AGREE!!! The new file management system is not intuitive and totally un-Ableton. The previous method was simple and elegant. You knew where everything was. Much much better. Abes, take note here.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:12 pm

glu wrote:all this has been really discouraging me from upgrading to 6- I'm just worried that all my tracks will be wacked out, and I am in the middle of two projects I cannot finish on my current notebook, so when I get a new computer, I will have to get my songs successfully loaded onto a new machine, and then successfully update to L6. It's been something I have not been looking forward to doing.
Actually, my gripe is small potatoes. Live 6 is totally worth it. I'm going to have to readjust my workflow for a while, but it's the same deal as going from Live 3 to 4. And let's not forget that we had entirely redesigned transport controls and playhead behavior from 4 to 5. That drove me nutz.

Racks and macros and video and multi-core support are worth the token learning curve. All the little changes too add up too. It's good.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:42 pm

hi amo

lots of good info here. not so intuitive once again but i think if the options (feature requests) raised here were addressed, they would help going back to a more simple approac to this complex management system.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:09 pm

hambone1 wrote:Maybe (probably) I'm being stupid here, but when I drag a clip or set of clips to the browser, I DON'T want a Project Folder created! I just want the Live clip to be saved into an existing normal folder.
Yes please +1000. I was really surprused by this too, I have a "samples" folder on my HD where I keep all my samples. In this folder I created a new folder called "Live Clips", I was quite surprised to see that dragging clips here saved them as projects, and not just the clip data and sample, which is far more intuitive IMO.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:16 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Yes please +1000. I was really surprused by this too, I have a "samples" folder on my HD where I keep all my samples. In this folder I created a new folder called "Live Clips", I was quite surprised to see that dragging clips here saved them as projects, and not just the clip data and sample, which is far more intuitive IMO.
+1001

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:20 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Hi Tarekith and Nebulae,

Wouldn't that be working for you?
Amaury wrote:
One trick is to copy one of the 'Ableton Project Info' folder at the root of the folder(s) where you save all of your clips, so it is seen as a Project folder right away.
best,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:22 pm

Sure, this works, but it's not as simple or flexible as T's suggestion. Moreover, having all clips inside one project is not as intuitive as being able to save clips in an organized fashion that makes sense to you.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:32 pm

nebulae wrote:Sure, this works, but it's not as simple or flexible as T's suggestion. Moreover, having all clips inside one project is not as intuitive as being able to save clips in an organized fashion that makes sense to you.
Frankly, I'm not trying to defend the current system or discussing your wishes here, but only giving explanations on ways to use the file manager and Project features in an efficient way. see the reasons why clips must be saved in a project:

-being able to save the material belonging to the clips in the same place
-related: being able to create a Live pack from the folder (that can contain all of your clips) and export it. Or even move it to another computer without packing it.

Then, as I said, you need only to copy that 'Ableton Project Info' folder at the root of your Clip's folder, and then you can have one million subfolders, to organize your clips. Live won't create a project folder anymore, ever, promise! :)

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:34 pm

Yeah, that's a good point too.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:39 pm

Amaury wrote:Frankly, I'm not trying to defend the current system or discussing your wishes here, but only giving explanations on ways to use the file manager and Project features in an efficient way.
Actually, I think I'd like to see you defend your choices. The best thing about this forum and about you guys is that you're open and you talk to your users. And I don't think I'm alone in saying that we would LOVE to know the rationale you guys used to make development decisions. :)

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:45 pm

nebulae wrote:
Amaury wrote:Frankly, I'm not trying to defend the current system or discussing your wishes here, but only giving explanations on ways to use the file manager and Project features in an efficient way.
Actually, I think I'd like to see you defend your choices. The best thing about this forum and about you guys is that you're open and you talk to your users. And I don't think I'm alone in saying that we would LOVE to know the rationale you guys used to make development decisions. :)
Well, I'm alone here and I guess my colleagues are busy with things more pleasing for you than discussing, but the reasons I gave for having Live clips saved into Project folders are very valid IMO. Especially the ability to collect and save the material. And the possibility to pack the whole thing to give it to other machines/users as one file.

But I'll let you people discuss, and come back when confusion orders me to :)

best regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:57 pm

Amaury wrote:I guess my colleagues are busy with things more pleasing for you than discussing
What could be more pleasing?!?!?!?

Long gone are the discussions of plants at Abe HQ...
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24103