newbie needs help

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
boatieben

newbie needs help

Post by boatieben » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:03 pm

Sorry to bother you with such a low level query.. New user (of demo version 3)

I've managed to synch weird length loops without too much problem but I just cannot understand how to set up regular 4 to the floor loops!

I load in a sample, hit warp and loop, and it gives me a loop playing way to fast (about 4 times too fast). I have managed to do it by just messing around, but its really hit and miss. If I try and slow down the loop it just warps the sound of the percussion which I don't want it to do. Is it to do with linking/unlinking the region/loop? What I learnt from synching up a 6 and a half bar loop with offset just doesn't seem to apply!
This is really frustrating, cos I fully understand what this app is capable of!!

Thanks for any help (I ve posted this in bugs/probs too)

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:19 pm

You load in a single shot bass drum sample thingy, ask it to loop the sound file and are surprised that a 4/4 loop doesn't come out?

Oh dear. Where to begin, where to begin.
(If I misunderstood your query, this'll sound patronising; if I didn't, it'll be probably be very patronising anyways :rolleyes:)

You need to tell Live to retrigger the sample on each BEAT, not just loop the sound - Live was made for working with musical loops of at least a few beats in length - not to trigger single shot samples. It's nothing like Reason's ReDrum or Fruityloops. You might want to RTFM when it comes to warp markers, too.

One way is to position single shots in the arrange view. Make sure snap to grid is on (RTFM), zoom in to see quarter notes on the timeline (1.1.1, 1.2.1, etc. etc.) and place a kick sample on each of these. Set up an arrange loop around the first one or two bars to make sure it sounds right - it's really a no-brainer, but do it anyways. Select a bar or two and consolidate that (I dunno if you can do that with the demo, though... else you'll need to fool around with somebody else's loops to explore). If you had the full version, you'd be able to save your set as self-contained and load up a perfectly synced, warpable 4/4 loop of your kick.

Isn't there a demo song you can play around with, BTW?

I'm sorry if this comes across as very condescending, don't take it too harshly. It's nothing against you or your person, I'm just in bit of a bad mood, tired and terribly hungry. Don't worry. Do a bit of reading, play around with the demo song. Once you 'geddit' (you should pretty quickly), you'll most likely pull a funny face at this question. No worries. Welcome to the club. Most likely you'll be laughing at me and my ignorance in a few weeks :)

And as someone said at some point: "You can ask a question and be a fool for a few minutes, or you can not ask the question and be a fool for the rest of your life". Very true. So don't let my bad day ruin anything for ya.

-Paws
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:19 pm

near where the warp settings are there are two buttons
one says :2 the other says *2 or something
these increase, or decrease the tempo that Live plays back your loop.. as i understand it (or the tempo that it thinks it is)
click on one of these.. if it gets faster sounding, click the other until the sound is right

have fun!

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:22 pm

Looks like the joke could very well be on me...

If you loaded up a loop and THEN pressed warp, did it guess the correct BPM? You can see this in the sample edit pane thingymajig.

If not there are 'divide by 2' and 'multiply by 2' buttons, or you can type in the correct BPM manually.

-Paws
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.