What is the best "sound" you've ever heard?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
xuoham

Post by xuoham » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:33 am

nowtime wrote:there are moments
when man and nature come together
in a surround-sound orchestra
one species of bird behind me jamming rhythmically with another species of bird at 2:00 to my right
the horsefly flies by with a doppler effect bending his tone to a fiftth below the distant sound of a tractor iddling
and just in time as he revs up his engine in a melodius cacophony of gears as
two blue jays make a love-dive at 11:00 with a syncopated answer to the grinding metal.

and then just the quiet meadow

and then a lone plane langorously humming, slowly getting lower and lower, occasionally pausing at perfect fourths and fifths with the sound of a far away car engine...

it's ten times better than i can describe it
I feel you man!
Listening is the key, if you know how to :)

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:19 am

1. The sound of a Sydney tangara train starting moving.

The plastic in the entry areas all bends and resonates, has a high pitch
sound that scales up thru the harmonic overtone series and then the train
starts moving :-)

2. Bela Flec and Flecktones

Bass/Sax solo in Live at the Quick - Big Country. Towering solo (Victor
Wooten & Jeff Coffin) goes up and up, then the sax and bass climb
together, call and answers that are each more modified then the last,
higher and more intense. Then a tribute to Jaco's Continuum.

A chill goes up my spine and tears come to my eyes involuntarily everytime
I listen to it.

-Ben

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:27 am

xuoham wrote:
nowtime wrote:there are moments
when man and nature come together
in a surround-sound orchestra
one species of bird behind me jamming rhythmically with another species of bird at 2:00 to my right
the horsefly flies by with a doppler effect bending his tone to a fiftth below the distant sound of a tractor iddling
and just in time as he revs up his engine in a melodius cacophony of gears as
two blue jays make a love-dive at 11:00 with a syncopated answer to the grinding metal.

and then just the quiet meadow

and then a lone plane langorously humming, slowly getting lower and lower, occasionally pausing at perfect fourths and fifths with the sound of a far away car engine...

it's ten times better than i can describe it
I feel you man!
Listening is the key, if you know how to :)

AMEN!!!!!

If you dedicately listen everyday, to everything around you, your auditory
cortex of your brain grows in it's connections and you get much much better
at identifying sounds.

Anyone who's really paid attention to this type of sound can tell you
anything bout what's producing a sound. i.e. You hit a steel bowl and dip it
in water. With a bit of practice listening to the world you can determine the
the size of the bowl, the thickness of it's walls and even if it has a coating
or not.

You don't need to be deaf to listen to the world like this.

-Ben

joesapo

Post by joesapo » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:54 am

I was at a Tool concert a long while back, and for intermission they had some guy come on w/ just a synthesizer.

He started his (relatively short) set with a sine wave with a gentle, slow LFO filter on it. From there he evolved the sound by mixing in osc after osc until he had this crazy, moving sound going all around the stadium.

And then the girl next to me started having an orgasm... :mrgreen:

Contra

Post by Contra » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:44 am

the horns at the beginning of BDP's "South Bronx"

went to the gypsy

Post by went to the gypsy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:55 am

the pop ... screenck ... ahhh ... of a chilly beer opening on an impossible austin afternoon ...

first few chords in the opening of star wars ...

the smell of fresh cut grass (there's enough for everyone) ...

the sounds of the winds of change as the voters of the us send the neo conservative bastages packing ...

the kunk of the W key being removed from every whitehouse keyboard ...

silence ...

sacredgeometry

Post by sacredgeometry » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:15 pm

The sound of someone you love laughing........but other than that the most amazing sound is something from my childhood....outside my bedroom in my back garden there where a row of about 11 oak trees the sound of the spring and autumn winds blowing though them is one of the sounds that will allways make me smile :D

Musicaly shpongle and tool i love but theres something about the way the sax solo kicks in on freddie freeloader (i think its coltrane on tenor)...that sends shivers down my spine everytime
Peace + Hugs

Brian

corygilbert

Post by corygilbert » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:32 pm

kramerica wrote:The synth/pad line from Radiohead's "Idioteque", which was sampled from a 1970's experimental piece called "Mild und Leise", by Paul Lansky, forming the four chord progression repeated throughout the song. That sound was created using punch card computers and days or weeks of processing just to get a few seconds of synthesized sound. Awesome.

Also, any synth sound made by boards of canada

Contrabass.
I fucking LOVE this forum! Thanks for sharing I never knew that.

Oh, and I've another one, I grew up in a rural area of florida, and there was a bird farm near my house that raised peacocks and hens. Every night in the summer and fall, just at sunset the cocks would start their calls over the small valley outside of my backyard. Just the most lonely, beutiful sound I remember from childhood, cooler in the evening, getting hungry with burgers on the grill getting done, rolling in the grass to that sound at sunset. Never had a drug even close to that.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:14 pm

corygilbert wrote:
kramerica wrote:The synth/pad line from Radiohead's "Idioteque", which was sampled from a 1970's experimental piece called "Mild und Leise", by Paul Lansky, forming the four chord progression repeated throughout the song. That sound was created using punch card computers and days or weeks of processing just to get a few seconds of synthesized sound. Awesome.

Also, any synth sound made by boards of canada

Contrabass.
I fucking LOVE this forum! Thanks for sharing I never knew that.

Oh, and I've another one, I grew up in a rural area of florida, and there was a bird farm near my house that raised peacocks and hens. Every night in the summer and fall, just at sunset the cocks would start their calls over the small valley outside of my backyard. Just the most lonely, beutiful sound I remember from childhood, cooler in the evening, getting hungry with burgers on the grill getting done, rolling in the grass to that sound at sunset. Never had a drug even close to that.
I was raised across the street from a bird farm in Florida too. I can't say our neighborhood birds had a particularly beautiful sound... it was more of a squawking thing. Sometimes they'd all freak out together and there would be this terrifying group squawk.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:20 pm

there are about 5 seconds at the begining of a Download song from 97 that paralyze me whenever I hear 'em. Completely random sound design. Sounds the fabric of reality being pulled into mobius strip. Cevin Key really does some amazing work sometimes. Worlock was my favorite song for years.

ploy

Post by ploy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:21 pm

stuff by plaid, the first portishead and burial.

elemental

Post by elemental » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:34 pm

Theres a warm ethereal sound I used to hear in my mind, in my dreams...
like a warm pad sound, I used to try and create it by making a massive chord with sine waves, minor 7 + 9 + 11 ... going all the way up till I ran out of fingers / polyphony.

I read an interview with sven vath a while after, where he talked about something similar.

Nlso I love the dark pads that The Advent used to use in loads of their tunes. Never been able to re-create them.

glu

Post by glu » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:27 am

didgeridoo resonance of the tongue while creating a natural lfo by the passage of air from the diaphram upward! Reminds me of the womb...
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

particle

Post by particle » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:41 am

when you are in the mountains on alot of acid right before the sun comes up and a jet airplane slowly fades into audiobility (i hope thats a word) and you think its just inside your head and its all dopplery and sounds like time is being bent or something

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:44 am

you know that sound when you chunder, but there isn't anything left, so you go "Hooooooaaaaaarrrrrr. EEUUUUUURRRRR."