Serious issues using Ableton as a DJ Software...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Audio Anomaly

Serious issues using Ableton as a DJ Software...

Post by Audio Anomaly » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:32 am

Im having some serious issues ableton with my live Dj setup.

Alright i use a Mac Book pro, Live 6, Trigger Finger, Firewire 410 and an allen and heath xone 92. 4 virtual channels on ableton routed out through the 4 outputs on the 410 into the 4 Xone channels.
Had a gig tonight(saturday). Was djying Friday aswell, it worked fine then. Opened up my set this tonight and started playing, then i noticed, the BPM warp readings for the songs were messed up. Some were 200, some 300 , very messed up, nothing was warped right. I dont think but infact firmly believe i cant manually warp all my tracks. Im doing parties and sh*t making money so i dont know what songs form my 80Gb+ of music ill use be using, so i just drag them diret drom an ituens playlists. Most are aleady analysed but not all. It was a pure pain, Had to unwarp everything. And then every once in a while this f**ked up audio glitch where the high end on the music goes all stuttery, really noticable and digitally shrill.

Please help me out here cause i love ableton and its endless posssibilities but when this is hapening you dont get to utlise these adavned features. I dont want to have to resort back to tracktor, ive built my setup around ableton.

Or is it just my Mac? Its only 6 or so months old, 2.16 intel dual core with 2 by 512 RAM. I hope its not my laptop!

Please Help :cry:

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:39 pm

Get more RAM, you need at least 1GB

Load your songs into RAM by pushing the RAM button in clip view

Did you save your Set after your gig on Friday? Maybe you messed it up somehow without reaising and saved it??? I dunno.

j0shu@

Re: Serious issues using Ableton as a DJ Software...

Post by j0shu@ » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:37 am

Audio Anomaly wrote: I dont think but infact firmly believe i cant manually warp all my tracks. Im doing parties and sh*t making money so i dont know what songs form my 80Gb+ of music ill use be using, so i just drag them diret drom an ituens playlists. Most are aleady analysed but not all. It was a pure pain, Had to unwarp everything.
-this is confusing. so do you warp your tunes or not? you pretty much have to, you cant trust autowarp.

-do you save them afterwards?

-a lot (if not most) more experienced folks will only use wavs, instead of mp3s due to the analysis and warping issues, especially when dropping in unanalyzed mp3s at a gig. no way i would do that.

Audio Anomaly

Post by Audio Anomaly » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:41 am

So your say if i were to drag a song in mid gog it would be best to have the file as a wav?

j0shu@

Post by j0shu@ » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:55 am

absolutely. that way it doesnt have to analyze the file and there are squirrelly mp3 decompression/warp issues you won't have to deal with.

in fact an .als or .alc clip would be best (im still using 5.2, so things, may be a bit different in 6)

again, are you pre-warping your tunes by hand? if not, then everything will be pretty much wrong.

the_viirus

Post by the_viirus » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:01 am

perhaps you should use traktor?

djtsar

Post by djtsar » Sun May 06, 2007 3:38 am

Yes you should warp all your track manually, when used to it it take less than one minute. Use wav or aif, mp3 is a lot more intensive processing in Live. Save your Dj set as self contain if is a short one (2-3H) and back it up on another drive.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Sun May 06, 2007 5:16 pm

ive heard a few other people mention that wav. files are preferrable to mp3s.. (which makes sense i think). but are they also better to work with that aif.s?

does anyone know any big differences between the two? or is it a pc/mac thing?

4ace

Post by 4ace » Sun May 06, 2007 5:44 pm

swishniak wrote:ive heard a few other people mention that wav. files are preferrable to mp3s.. (which makes sense i think). but are they also better to work with that aif.s?

does anyone know any big differences between the two? or is it a pc/mac thing?
It's a pc/mac thing... no diff. really...
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage