Apple to kill Pro Tools soon?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:52 pm

I'm relatively ign'ant but my impression is that Edge is correct in his statement that one of the most significant strengths of PT is the fact that you can record-monitor through plug-ins with virtually no latency when using an HD system.

As for studios, do people still actually record in studios? :)

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:13 pm

OvertoneZero wrote:I'm relatively ign'ant but my impression is that Edge is correct in his statement that one of the most significant strengths of PT is the fact that you can record-monitor through plug-ins with virtually no latency when using an HD system.

As for studios, do people still actually record in studios? :)

no

i think they should make MIDI stand for MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS DEATH IMMINENT

gomi

Post by gomi » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:06 pm

james Egan wrote:Question for pro tools users out there- What can you do in Pro Tools that you can't do in Live. I'm just curiuos.

Jamie
lots...

gomi

Post by gomi » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:08 pm

james Egan wrote:
datapopstar wrote:
james Egan wrote:Question for pro tools users out there- What can you do in Pro Tools that you can't do in Live. I'm just curiuos.

Jamie
crossfades? grouping tracks?
Thats it? Doesn't seem that big of a deal.
two words

production

i dont like protools, but the fact is if you are working on a film, thats
the tool.

live will never (and should never) compete with protools in the post
industry.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:14 pm

those lucky enough to have access to the HD type protools have the best professional recording system currently available.

those of us who have used LE or MPOWERED are/were getting hosed.......

viva le LIVE!

gomi

Post by gomi » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:17 pm

eyeknow wrote:those lucky enough to have access to the HD type protools have the best professional recording system currently available.

viva le LIVE!

this is true, Pro Tools LE is a piece of garbage, and I think digi knows this.

Basically it's a crippled dumbed down version of HD.

but i'd still track a live band + midi in protools before i would in live though, because
i like it all to be in sync... i'll take it into live afterwards.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:28 pm

sure, for that market, I'd say that.

but alas, most of the people using any DAW that is around these forums, are fairly single in the approach. One thing at a time, by one person.......

It's so much easier to get the parts down in live, then you can use DP or whatever to do the final mix/yada.

Left Eye Dominant

Post by Left Eye Dominant » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:36 pm

gomi wrote:
eyeknow wrote:those lucky enough to have access to the HD type protools have the best professional recording system currently available.

viva le LIVE!

this is true, Pro Tools LE is a piece of garbage, and I think digi knows this.

Basically it's a crippled dumbed down version of HD.

but i'd still track a live band + midi in protools before i would in live though, because
i like it all to be in sync... i'll take it into live afterwards.
This is all true, the beauty of PT LE, is that you can transfer a PT LE session into HD with the greatest of ease. Kind of essential for us low (no) budget filmmakers and experimentalists. Love to see an alternative though.

DJ Spiral

Post by DJ Spiral » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:04 am

I would choose live over pro tools any day of the week for tracking, editing and mixing. Sound quality really depends on the hardware you are using with it and as for plugins, you can use a wrapper for those rtas plugins. As programs go, I find live to be far more stable than pro tools, and yes i am putting it up against pro tools hd. (waits for angry mob of pt lovers...lol) Really it just depends on the system you are running. And also what program works best for you. For me it's live, for others it might be pt, dp, cubase or the like.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:39 am

DJ Spiral wrote: as for plugins, you can use a wrapper for those rtas plugins.
Ummm,,,
No you can't,,,
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

DJ Spiral

Post by DJ Spiral » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:41 am

fxpansion makes one to go vst to rtas....sooo ummmmm you can

DJ Spiral

Post by DJ Spiral » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:00 am

I take that back, a little drunk...hahaha

timjenkins

Post by timjenkins » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:18 am

So yeah. I'm new to the forum, but not to ableton or production.
Here's my take on Pro-Tools

Protools' glory lies in it's hardware. Imagine having a dsp accelerator card for each track, and using a daw built around those cards, so they work together seamlessly. Now take this and throw in the fact that it's the standard(digital) for every major studio in the world, and also many smaller ones.

Now when a musician or producer who is working in one of these studios (such as myself). would like to do any type of editing or additional tracking outside the studio (such as some on-location tracks like a grand piano in a church) or more often in my case to add sequencing and electronic parts, the only way to do this while staying "inside" protools is to use an le or m powered rig. This is really the only reason I would ever use one of these lesser pt's. except maybe for learning.

I still use Live for all the sequencing, but then import the audio into pt for editing and mixing. Ableton and PT are both very strong systems in different areas that I don't believe you can really compare. Ableton actually seems to deal with m-audio alot, who is owned by avid, ProTools' parent company. Here's a link to a video on M-audio's website about how live and ProTools Go hand in hand (kelly clarkson's in it).

PS. Large, Corporate Studios might be going away, but PT isn't. Many "budget" studios I know are investing in HD Systems. I'm not huge pt fan, but you can't deny that avid's hands reach far.

DJ Spiral

Post by DJ Spiral » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:52 am

actually ableton and m-audio have went separate directions, as far as direct relations

corneliusw

Post by corneliusw » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:25 am

I don't usually write on threads like this but just my 2c.

I'm lucky enough to work between some great studios here in Australia, US and Europe. I mainly work in film and TV, not just post but scoring as well. I have to work between quite a few different setups and work on both PC and Mac. I have been doing this everyday for many years now. I love ProTools on a PC and I love Logic on a Mac. a well kept system on both setups work flawlessly. i've managed to get Live in a few studios too and it inevitably impresses the hell out a lot of engineers that tend to not want to try new stuff.... but to comment on the original subject of this thread : Apple ProTools Killer.. I think it can happen and be done well. The most stable and in my opinion the most comfortable setup I've worked on recently is a Logic Apogee Symphony setup. I must admit I was blown away and it has really made me consider this setup in my own studio. Protools HD is great but I actually found I liked the sound and work flow of the Logic/Apogee setup. To top it off all my work at the end of these sessions was flawlessly exported as an OMF and impoprted straight into Protools for the next guys to take over and do the surround mix. I know a lot of people disagree and I would of too if I hadn't experienced it recently .. but it's a butt kickking setup and not being locked into PTHD and going Native with plugins (which new machines handle fine) means you only need to keep one collection of plugins (no TDM) that you can then share with programs like Live. Live can then take advantage of the Apogee hardware too. My fav plugins are all (but one) ported to native AU and VSTs. So please don't flame me. I'm not an Apple poster boy nor a raving Logic nut.. I just need a hassle free environment and so far this is the closest I've come to "error free" setup that suits what i do very well.