Do you master/write or mix at the same time?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
muscleandhate

Do you master/write or mix at the same time?

Post by muscleandhate » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:01 pm

For example, do you throw EQ's, compressors and limiters or whatever, on each track whilst your producing an overall track? Or do you leave it all raw and just master the bounce OR do you bounce each track individually and then load them into another project to then add dynamics, compression or whatever?

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:27 pm

Compressors, EQ and other FX are part of my creative process... So I guess that I mix while I compose. Kinda...

-M

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:30 pm

same here - when I have laid down the last loop my track is usually finished...
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Nogi

Post by Nogi » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:31 pm

A big plus for Live is that I can rough mix (and master to a degree) while still creating - that's something that wasn't possible with Poor Tools. I now have a lot better idea of what the final product will sound like all along the way. These days, rarely do I get to the end of a project and think from a mixing perspective, 'wow, that part just doesn't work at all.'

halfadder
Location: inside the radiator with the lady who sings about heaven

Post by halfadder » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:49 pm

first post yah.

i do a lot of work with eqs, compressors etc on single tracks while in the creative process. i also do a small amount of mixing then just to keep it sounding nice. once the creative process is over then i will do a real mix down of all of the tracks, usually i will take a few stabs at this. after that i send it to someone else to master.

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:50 pm

you can definitely mix while recording, and use comp and EQ on tracks while doing so (i do). you pretty much can't master while recording/mixing, because mastering pretty much by defintion is adding EQ and comp to a final mix to make it cohere, sound better, etc. it really makes no sense to try to have (e.g.) a compressor or EQ on the master while recording, mixing, because you couldn't really know what to do (e.g., if you add extra instruments, that changes the dynamic of the song, you have to re-EQ or comp).

4ace

Post by 4ace » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:54 pm

dj superflat wrote:you can definitely mix while recording, and use comp and EQ on tracks while doing so (i do). you pretty much can't master while recording/mixing, because mastering pretty much by defintion is adding EQ and comp to a final mix to make it cohere, sound better, etc. it really makes no sense to try to have (e.g.) a compressor or EQ on the master while recording, mixing, because you couldn't really know what to do (e.g., if you add extra instruments, that changes the dynamic of the song, you have to re-EQ or comp).
+1 Well Put..
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

synnack

Post by synnack » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:03 am

While you can certainly mix as you go, you really can't master as you go.

I wouldn't recommend you "master" until the song is done and you haven't been listening to it over and over as you would when writing.

Shoma

Post by Shoma » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:15 am

I was always mixing along the whole process of making a track, but something tells me, that I will be much faster and better If i will make a rough mix first and then dedicate whole time for mixing only.

Oscar F

Post by Oscar F » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:19 am

1.Compose & Jam

2.program synth patches etc

3.get everything sitting tight without eq/comps effects etc with a dry mix all balanced centre and Monofying plugin in on the output.

4.start tarting everything up with eq and comps

5.Add effects send/returns and other processing where needed.

6.Work on variations / fills / cut and paste consolidated edits and any resampling where some mangling is going on.

7.save

8. go back the next day work on stereo placement and mixing

9.Jam on the arrangement in session view like a mother fucker (sometimes for weeks on end adding a few edits, changes, synth tweaks, micro edits, midi data edits and the like .

10.Flesh out arrangement

11.Remix the arrangement (this includes a bajillion automation edits per track etc usually and takes alot of repeated listening to get exactly what I have in my minds eye and may include reproragming and tweaking synth patches adding VST and VSTi modulations, resampling, bouncing, mangling in audio editor and pulling back into the mix etc.

12. render and save project.

I have NEVER composed anything from start to finish in under 3 months I might add but usually work on 2 or 3 projects at once in this time frame.
That is sort of a very tight "nutshell" overview as I am a stickler for fine detail and lots of movement in a mix with tonnes of variaton within the composition itself.

Though that working method is NOT set in stone my any means I might add depending on the source of inspiration for the composition.

Cheers
Oscar F (aka FaX)
Somewhere between a rock and a hard place is actually nowhere.

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:17 am

1.Compose & Jam

3.get everything sitting tight without eq/comps effects etc with a dry mix all balanced centre and Monofying plugin in on the output.

6.Work on variations / fills / cut and paste consolidated edits and any resampling where some mangling is going on.

7.save

9.Jam on the arrangement in session view like a mother fucker (sometimes for weeks on end adding a few edits, changes, synth tweaks, micro edits, midi data edits and the like .

10.Flesh out arrangement

11.Remix the arrangement (this includes a bajillion automation edits per track etc usually and takes alot of repeated listening to get exactly what I have in my minds eye and may include reproragming and tweaking synth patches adding VST and VSTi modulations, resampling, bouncing, mangling in audio editor and pulling back into the mix etc.

Thank you. This is helpful for me right now, making some order of the chaos of writing/performing/engineering/teching. good distinctions. Should help me from getting stuck in the mire of multiple flows and finally FINISHING something.
Life is Good

zstowasser

wait a minute

Post by zstowasser » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 pm

a very big producer that I know throws on a compressor with a preset as they start to write the song so they get the volumes/eq working under the compressor as they write rather than having to adjust the mix after a compressor is on it..

just another way to do it I suppose.. so dont assume you can't write with a compressor on the master bus from the start...

exaltron

Post by exaltron » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:32 am

nowtime wrote:
1.Compose & Jam

7.save

10.Flesh out arrangement

Thank you. This is helpful for me right now, making some order of the chaos of writing/performing/engineering/teching. good distinctions. Should help me from getting stuck in the mire of multiple flows and finally FINISHING something.
Indubitably. I'm del.icio.us-ing this quick+dirty, as I have a similar (though not quite as explicit) strategy that I use in Live and Logic as well. But I might try to stick to something like this and see if it saves some of take-one-step-forward-and-two-steps-back tango that I've been dealing with on the last project.