Ghost or Link Clips in Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
distraub

Ghost or Link Clips in Live?

Post by distraub » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:04 pm

in cubase and the like there is the concept of a "linked" or "ghost" copy where you hold down a key while drag and dropping and that copy in an arrangement view is a pointer to the original.

So for example if you change it in one place, it changes in every place. Does Live have such a thing? it seems any copy you make of a clip is always completely different no matter what.

I would like there to be a way that any instance of a clip in the arragement view is a linked back to original in the session view. So you can change the "master" clip in session view and all the instances of that clip in the arragment view change with it. Then you have the option of copying holding a specific modifyer, where there is not that association and your copy is a unique instance.

Is something similar to this possible in Live?
WinXP 3GB RAM
Motu Traveler
Live 8.1

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:13 pm

I wish. That would be a very useful feature.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:28 pm

you can do that in sonar too... one feature that can be annoying when you don't want it on and another helpful when it is on. i've written to ableton and requested it, you should do the same

synnack

Post by synnack » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:59 pm

This feature is only annoying if it's not optional. In cubase it's fully optional.

When copying, if you hold control, it does it, if you hold alt it doesn't.

That's exactly what we need in ableton.

P.S. distraub, I love your music. NF is lame but distraub is awesome.

hambone1

Re: Ghost or Link Clips in Live?

Post by hambone1 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:04 pm

distraub wrote:in cubase and the like there is the concept of a "linked" or "ghost" copy where you hold down a key while drag and dropping and that copy in an arrangement view is a pointer to the original.

So for example if you change it in one place, it changes in every place. Does Live have such a thing? it seems any copy you make of a clip is always completely different no matter what.

I would like there to be a way that any instance of a clip in the arragement view is a linked back to original in the session view. So you can change the "master" clip in session view and all the instances of that clip in the arragment view change with it. Then you have the option of copying holding a specific modifyer, where there is not that association and your copy is a unique instance.

MIDI map the clip(s), then sequence the clips with a virtual MIDI bus.

Not pretty, but it works the same. Changing the original clip(s) changes all references to it.

mag38

Re: Ghost or Link Clips in Live?

Post by mag38 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:39 pm

distraub wrote:in cubase and the like there is the concept of a "linked" or "ghost" copy where you hold down a key while drag and dropping and that copy in an arrangement view is a pointer to the original.

this is one of the things I miss most in Ableton Live and prevents me from fully sitching from to live

in the next update please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sony Vaio FE-31M * win xp * echo idigo dj * evolution uc33 * M-Audio o2