More Questions Concerning Ableton LIVE

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DrXparaMental

More Questions Concerning Ableton LIVE

Post by DrXparaMental » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:34 am

Sorry for all the questions but I want to make certain I am not making a HUGE mistake choosing a laptop.

#1 Does LIVE 5.0 & 6.0 run fine on Microsoft VISTA ?

#2 Knowing that I need a minimum of a 7200 RPM hard drive, and since most laptops are 5400 at best, will it be sufficient to use an external HD or should the primary C: drive be at least 7200 RPM? In other words, this computer illiterate is wondering if LIVE can be installed on the slower drive with the vista operating system initially and then somehow be used via an outboard faster HD? God, it SUCKS not knowing what I am talking about. :oops:

Thanks,
Jeff

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:25 am

I currently use an internal 40GB 5400rpm HD and sometimes suppliment with a 5400rpm usb hd.

You can use 5400.

EDIT: Also I am not really liking the sound of Vista, will continue to use XP for a while I think. If you are buying new though it sounds like they will force you into it.

blank

Post by blank » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:00 am

Live runs fine over 5400 hd, the hd choke light will simply blink faster than with a 7200 so you will prolly have to load a bit more in ram.

For vista you can look at the first announcement in the general forum about live 6.03/6.05 and vista.

Please just keep in mind that vista is really not reliable for audio applications ( in fact its not reliable at all yet ) and you really must use xp pro sp2 except if you want to get some more friends using various tech support services.

Anyway, if you still decide to go vista, please take the time to post your story here, could be really interesting.

:)

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:07 pm

blank wrote:Live runs fine over 5400 hd, the hd choke light will simply blink faster than with a 7200 so you will prolly have to load a bit more in ram.

For vista you can look at the first announcement in the general forum about live 6.03/6.05 and vista.

Please just keep in mind that vista is really not reliable for audio applications ( in fact its not reliable at all yet ) and you really must use xp pro sp2 except if you want to get some more friends using various tech support services.

Anyway, if you still decide to go vista, please take the time to post your story here, could be really interesting.

:)

Believe you me when I say I DON'T want Vista. It's just that the good ol' Micropoly has cut deals with every computer manufacturer this side of the sun. You can't buy a new PC without it. What I will most likely do is get Dell to include a copy of XP Pro spec2 (would regular XP work just as good?)

Thanks for your help! You don't know how much I appreciate it. I am lost without others who have been where I am at now.

Jeff

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:00 pm

Absolutely no need for XP Pro, XP Home will work perfectly fine and is cheaper. Really, you don't need Pro for anything unless you are running a larger network with servers and stuff on it.

There was a very informative thread about Live and Vista in Tips & Tricks. Try to find it. Bascially Live works fine on Vista, but your soundcard and other I/O devices (like midi controllers) might not, depending on the availability of drivers etc.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:23 pm

Michael-SW wrote:Absolutely no need for XP Pro, XP Home will work perfectly fine and is cheaper. Really, you don't need Pro for anything unless you are running a larger network with servers and stuff on it.

There was a very informative thread about Live and Vista in Tips & Tricks. Try to find it. Bascially Live works fine on Vista, but your soundcard and other I/O devices (like midi controllers) might not, depending on the availability of drivers etc.
I will do just that with respect to the "tips & tricks" thread archive Michael. Thanks!
... just got back from Guitar Center where I purchased a Motu Traveler and an M-Audio Axiom 49 midi controller. Just like you just said, the sales guy there said that for the most part LIVE works fine on VISTA. It's the other stuff that gives people fits. I sure like the idea of "hyper memory" , we'll see.

I decided to go with a factory modified Dell Inspirion laptop. I could find NO assembly line packages with a 7200 RPM hard drive for faster data transfer. The price is very comparable to the HP/Toshiba/Aspire/Alien/Gateway stuff I looked at.

Intel 2.0 ghz duel core, 2 gig DDR2, 7200 Sata & a dual layer burner.

just a quick thought: I have spent 30 friggin years honing some of the most whacked chops on the bass I could come up with. I can tell you RIGHT NOW, Ableton's LIVE is no less an undertaking. It's amazing (to me) that technology has become the most inspiring and welcome challenge to my creative muse. It's like being a musician all over again.