Vista: To 64 or not to 64?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
astar

Vista: To 64 or not to 64?

Post by astar » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:22 pm

Hi all

I bought a laptop in the last few months and am eligible for the free express upgrade to Vista. But since it's OEM I have to choose between either 32-bit or 64-bit Vista. I'm running Core 2 Duo so could take advantage of 64-bit but I've heard stories that the support isn't there yet and may not be there for several years. e.g. My sound card (Fast Track Pro) doesn't even have 64 bit drivers yet...

Also, when running 64 bit does this mean all my VST plugins will have to be 64 bit as well? There are a lot of free plugins I rely on and I can't see them being changed to 64 bit at any time soon...

Is anyone running Live successfully on a 64 bit OS or any plans to make Live 64 bit?

I'm not planning on actually applying the upgrade for a while though since XP is nice and solid with my Live 6 setup. So part of me thinks it'd be nice to have the 64 bit Vista packed away for later so maybe two years down the road I can upgrade when technology has caught up.... But then again, if I decide to upgrade sooner I might be out of luck for compatibility or maybe it will be years before we really can take advantage of 64 bit audio production with Live ????

So.... If you were me would you go with 32 bit or 64 bit?

Here's my specs:
-Asus A8Js laptop (Core 2 Duo 2GHz, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD, Nvida Geforge7700)
-Fast Track Pro USB sound card

cheers and thanks!

rolfski

Post by rolfski » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:35 pm

Stick with 32 bit for at least another 1,5-2 year. By that time most of the compatibility issues should be solved and the majority of the key music making software will make use of 64 bit.