Pure Data

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:18 pm

ytsek wrote:
itook4lefts wrote:yeah, i've played with it, as a way to make the 40h interface with live. it's good for wierd midi routing an things. what do you want it to do? the big, number one, all time fucker with the program is that there is no way to sync it to something else. you can't take midi clock from another app, or send clock to another app. other than that it's cool.
Ofcourse you can. I made a midi clock with PD once and it works fine.
cool... how did you do it? what i meant was there's no object called something like [clock] that acts the way [ctlin] or [notein] do. i tried syncing once by having 16 midi clips in live, each 1/16th long playing in a cycle with follow actions sending notes to pd to drive a sequencer or whatever. it works, but it's not elegant.

but that's just one way i thought of, and i'm a newbie (and my maths blows). what do you recommend? cheers

ytsek

Post by ytsek » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:07 pm

itook4lefts wrote:
ytsek wrote:
itook4lefts wrote:yeah, i've played with it, as a way to make the 40h interface with live. it's good for wierd midi routing an things. what do you want it to do? the big, number one, all time fucker with the program is that there is no way to sync it to something else. you can't take midi clock from another app, or send clock to another app. other than that it's cool.
Ofcourse you can. I made a midi clock with PD once and it works fine.
cool... how did you do it? what i meant was there's no object called something like [clock] that acts the way [ctlin] or [notein] do. i tried syncing once by having 16 midi clips in live, each 1/16th long playing in a cycle with follow actions sending notes to pd to drive a sequencer or whatever. it works, but it's not elegant.

but that's just one way i thought of, and i'm a newbie (and my maths blows). what do you recommend? cheers
I checked the values of the midi clock messages with midi-ox. There are the messages start, stop, continue, timestamp and reset clock count (something like that out of my head).
With this info I made a midi clock in PD. I used midiout to send raw data to a midi port. Just integers send to midiout. That's all.

I'm sure you can use the same concept for midiin.

esaruoho

Re:

Post by esaruoho » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:27 pm

itook4lefts wrote:
LOFA wrote:In the limited time I spent in max/msp/jitter I have felt my goals become rapidly easier to fulfill. Go for it!
+1. this is exactly how it's panning out for me. has anyone checked out this book? it's free!
Hi guys, you might be interested in this reddit post I put together a while ago. https://www.reddit.com/r/puredata/comme ... pure_data/

It contains links to all the PDF/DOC versions that are available on the web for free, and also places to purchase the hardcopy books from.

Now that I got a midiclock-transmission-from-Ableton-Live to be read by Pure Data and ran it through a 16 step stepsequencer (table/array), I'm extremely interested in finding out if anyone here has gotten Pure Data to send midi CC data into Ableton Live? I would love to sequence effect toggling via Pure Data, as it would be way nicer than the way I currently do it.

Anyone?

esaruoho

Re:

Post by esaruoho » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:37 pm

itook4lefts wrote:
ytsek wrote:I made a midi clock with PD once and it works fine.

Hi itook4lefts.. I guess you've already progressed somewhere else, but here's a post of a simple solution I found on a forum.

I re-created it based on the instructions on "a forum" (no idea which one, to be honest), named it midimetro, and just posted it on Github. https://github.com/esaruoho/pd.

You can then plug this into your patch by doing a (pd midimetro.pd) as long as it's in your path. use this as a Ableton Live -based tempo counter, plug into your future pd sequencers and whatever.

I guess I'll go and figure out how to send midi CC data to Live from PD now :)