fxpansion vst rewire adapter

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SharksFin

fxpansion vst rewire adapter

Post by SharksFin » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:33 pm

http://www.fxpansion.com/product-rewireadapter-main.php

it says its gonna work with live
is this gonna be the one :?:

drez

Post by drez » Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:58 pm

Now you'll be able to run Live as your Host AND another instance slaved via rewire? 8O

solovox

Post by solovox » Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:48 am

I'll be checking this out the split-second it comes out tomorrow, but I'm a little worried by what it doesn't say. It sounds more like an audio routing manager to work within a program...like Logic or Cubase.

This doesn't me any good...but that's just me. What I don't glean from their description is any mention of Rewire Slave/Master control. All I've ever wanted (in life itself) is to be able to run Logic and Live in perfect rewire sync and have LIVE be the MASTER. That way, you can run Vsti's and have full midi control over your outboard gear and pump the audio loops directly into Live.

Based on the description, I'm not seeing this happening with the FX item. But here's to hoping... :roll:

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:20 am

Jeez! There's always OOOOoooooooonnnnneeee little part of the equation not Quuuuuuiiiiittttteee there!!! We have sound sorces coming out of every orifice, we have this host that does things this way and tht host that does things that way, there's THAT plug that does JUUUUUuuuust what you want if OOOOOOoooonly people would stop inventing different ways of doing the same thing (Abletons excepted in the main) and listen to what people want to make their product work for THEM. Not just in SOME situations but ALL situations!!!

Arrrggghhh!! A SIIIIIIIiiiiiiiimmmpppllle protocol that covers all bases so that developers can stop pissing about and plugging this leak while missing the one over there >>>>>>>>>

Rewire tries to be a patchbay but it misses so many STTTTuuuupid fundamental needs that would have solved all this nonsense in one fell swoop years ago.

Any developers here? Go on, I DARE you. Come up with something that all of the host developers can latch into and stop leaving it to Steinberg/Apple/Whoever to implement things as THEY see it. A bidirectional audio and MIDI patchbay/bus that will get all of ths shit working how WE want it and give you money in the process! Make it Rewire(tm) compliant if you want, make it understand VST architecture if that does it for you, make it MAS/RTAS/AU/whateverthefuckulike but PLEASE.... NO MORE HALF ASSED "SOLUTIONS!!!!".

:lol:

solovox

Post by solovox » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:40 pm

AMEN!!!!

Can the brother get a witness?!!!

AMEN!!! :D

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:58 pm

I hate to be a jerk... I've been wanting something like this for so long but $100 is steep... I think I'd rather put up with the instability of Plogue.

I guess I'll have to hear the reviews. If it really is rock solid with little to no CPU drain, I'll have to consider it.

Good for fxpansion for finally doing this. I still can't believe it took this long for a company to recognize the need and do something about it.

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:22 pm

I agree. $100 is too much for something like this, $50 would be more like it, but I'll probably buy it anyway. I've had good luck using Plogue Bidule in OS X, but it would be better if this new fxpansion VST-ReWire adapter was easier to use than Bidule. Of course all this wouldn't matter if Ableton had built in VSTi capability or all NI softsynths had ReWire. We can only dream.

jho

Post by jho » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:54 am

IMO bidule is incredibly easy and it's free. It is alot more powerful too. And the support is, well...instantaneous. I've emailed their support and I always get an answer in a few minutes.

You've got a heck of a lot more routing options, effects, and if you like to tinker around there's even more you can do with it. I ain't paying $100 for a plain wrapper...Just my .02.

qminusi

Re: fxpansion vst rewire adapter

Post by qminusi » Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:36 am

[quote]http://www.fxpansion.com/product-rewireadapter-main.php[/quote]

Hello,

I guess there are no routing features like midi matrix and switcher as available in the free plogue bidule. I would'nt pay a 100€ for this. Very little information on this site.

I would prefer that Live is doing what bidule is doing now. Extended midi routing to play all VSTi's through one midi controller and record the audio output. I bet this rewire adapter is not able to do this.

Does someone has experience with this wrapper?

What about a integrated 'bidule live' just for the needs of people using Live? I would pay for this.

Sincerely
Karl
Last edited by qminusi on Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace ... please ... I beg you ...
Karlie May - Switzerland
http://www.bebop.ch

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:49 am

If somebody bought it and could post their results I would be interested. (After having bought VST2AUwrapper I will not again invest into such a product that quickly).

Would be interested in you results.

jho

Post by jho » Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:49 am

I'm sitting here working in the studio, with over 100 samples / loops and one-shots in Live 3, with several effects happening. No biggie there. Then I have Bidule (the latest verse) hosting FM7, Absynth2, Claw, and Battery...with Battery having separate outputs for kick, snare, overheads, etc. rewired back into Live all on their own Stereo channels...so I have 7 Stereo channels rewired back in thru Bidule, and I'm playing everything at the same time.

Free. Working...

I completely agree this shoud be a feature built into Live. But the point is I'm wondering how much better can this $100 FXexpansion product be than what I'm doing now?

It would be great to have a midi sequencer that I could rewire into it as well...not a step sequencer but a real midi sequencer, like a really basic one. Then it would be just about perfect!!

But I am certainly interested in anyone who buys that Fxexpansion VST wrapper to report back. Apparently today was supposed to be the release date but I don't see any news about it at http://www.kvr-vst.com/ and the fxexpansion folks have not answered an email I sent them 24 hours ago.

Did I mention the bidule folks answer their emails in like 5 minutes...so right now Bidule is pretty happening! I'm happy! This is working much much better than when I was trying to rewire all this through my DAW...so far so good... :lol: :D

SharksFin

Post by SharksFin » Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:33 am

i want to be able to rewire the vsti version of energyXT into live, to get round the audio recording and sync problems using the fx version.

if it sorts that i'll be content

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:07 am

FYI, there will be a VST version of Bidule ....
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:30 am

We're ending up with more "adapters" thn the audio industry itself! And they have done a spectacular job in finding as many ways as possible of getting some electrons from A to B.

I wan't plugins hat only work on 230V systems from Sunday to Wednesday afternoon and the rest of the week work at 110V!!!

:wink:

drez

Post by drez » Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:36 pm

SharksFin wrote:i want to be able to rewire the vsti version of energyXT into live, to get round the audio recording and sync problems using the fx version.

if it sorts that i'll be content
Exactly. That's the whole reason I'm interested in it as well.