What Would You Do?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hypomixolydian

What Would You Do?

Post by Hypomixolydian » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:35 pm

Hello.

I have had a "reasonably" good trade in offer for some music gear ( I think it's a good deal). I really love the V Synth (rack version). My local mucic shop has offerred to give me 900 euros for the Korg Triton rack and Ensoniq DP4 + in exchange for a Roland V synth rack plus I have to part with 1000 euros.

But can Reaktor (which I own) do, what the V-synth can do?

So would you or wouldn't you change?

Thanks
Last edited by Hypomixolydian on Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

glu

Post by glu » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:53 pm

I have a triton pro-x and I am considering getting rid of it for something with more synthesis capabilities. I would go for it!
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

IanBuzz

Post by IanBuzz » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:13 pm

I'd get rid of the triton, even if it were for just cash ... That's just me. :lol:

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:55 pm

Maybe I should have called this thread Hobbit sex scandal for a bit more reaction.

But is a total trade in price of 900 euros for the Korg Trition rack and Ensoniq DP 4+ ok in your opinion? But do you think Reaktor can do what the V Synth can?
Last edited by Hypomixolydian on Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:07 am

I'm sure you could get close in Reaktor, but it no one has created an Ensemble that does that exactly, then ????

I mean, Reaktor is completely opened ended, so theorectically with enough patience and persistance, you could probably get close to ANY sound.

Honestly, that doesn't sounds liek that great of a deal to me. If you were only paying $500-600, then maybe...

IanBuzz

Post by IanBuzz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:12 am

You can get any sound you want from Reaktor end of story. I know kids who use that as their only synth - be it they are nasty at what they do. It depends on how you compose do you compose banging out fast fast fast what's on your mind goes on the computer or do you like to take the time to play with a patch for two hours and your train of thought is still there. It's all about how you work as a composer.

IanBuzz

Post by IanBuzz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:14 am

PS: you most deff should of named it Hobbit sex scandal :lol: :lol: :lol:

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:19 am

the v synth rack costs 1949 euro at thomanns. If you really really really want the v synth, then do it. I personally wouldn't sell a DP4+ period, but that's just me ( I love those units, and would love to have one again).
Still, the trade-in part sounds like a good deal to me? But yeah, you can pretty much do all the sounds in Reaktor, just ... not quite.

IanBuzz, there are actually a number of things in Reaktor ( audio/event buffer manipulation, MIDI! etc) that are so convoluted and work-aroundy that it's hardly worth it - many of these things compared to Reaktor are ABSURDLY easy in Max. I couldn't believe it when I switched. I still have reaktor for pure synthesis goodness and for easy effect units, but for the funky stuff it just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

And all those fancy interfaces that come with reaktor are totally useless for hackers, since they all use these obscure mouse-area+multidisplays, which suck donkey nads, to be honest.

Still, reaktor can do so much cool shit.... hm.[/rant, sorry!]
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

IanBuzz

Post by IanBuzz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:23 am

HAHAHA yeah the fancy interfaces do suck a bit because you can't hack em and yes MAX is bad ass. I will go with you on this one ;)

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:27 am

Machinate wrote:the v synth rack costs 1949 euro at thomanns. If you really really really want the v synth, then do it. I personally wouldn't sell a DP4+ period, but that's just me ( I love those units, and would love to have one again).
Still, the trade-in part sounds like a good deal to me? But yeah, you can pretty much do all the sounds in Reaktor, just ... not quite.

IanBuzz, there are actually a number of things in Reaktor ( audio/event buffer manipulation, MIDI! etc) that are so convoluted and work-aroundy that it's hardly worth it - many of these things compared to Reaktor are ABSURDLY easy in Max. I couldn't believe it when I switched. I still have reaktor for pure synthesis goodness and for easy effect units, but for the funky stuff it just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

And all those fancy interfaces that come with reaktor are totally useless for hackers, since they all use these obscure mouse-area+multidisplays, which suck donkey nads, to be honest.

Still, reaktor can do so much cool shit.... hm.[/rant, sorry!]
Machinate, do you have any decent links for getting started with Max? If I get bored this weekend I might give it a stab.
..?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:32 am

Mr. MonkeyMan, the tutorials that come with MaxMSP are stellar. Unsurpassed, if you ask me. Start with the Max tutorials, and work your way through some funky little midi apps that are designed to teach you the logical programming, up to data storage and so on, sequencers, etc. and then start the MSP tutorials.

there are hundreds of pages worth of tutorial reading and references, that come with Max - it's one of the greatest selling points to me, and they made it so much easier to get started - (over a thousand pages, actually!)

Then if you're done with all of that (and perhaps don't want to learn FFT analysis just yet from the final pages of the MSP tutorials ;) ) then I can recommend reading the pluggo developers guide, which can be located on the cycling 74 website - pluggos are by far the coolest way to integrate a maxMSP project into your Live sets. And building them is really easy, once you've found the 5-10 objects you generally use.

Anyway, I've been working with Max and the Lemur a lot recently, and we're making good friends now :)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:36 am

Machinate wrote:Mr. MonkeyMan, the tutorials that come with MaxMSP are stellar. Unsurpassed, if you ask me. Start with the Max tutorials, and work your way through some funky little midi apps that are designed to teach you the logical programming, up to data storage and so on, sequencers, etc. and then start the MSP tutorials.

there are hundreds of pages worth of tutorial reading and references, that come with Max - it's one of the greatest selling points to me, and they made it so much easier to get started - (over a thousand pages, actually!)

Then if you're done with all of that (and perhaps don't want to learn FFT analysis just yet from the final pages of the MSP tutorials ;) ) then I can recommend reading the pluggo developers guide, which can be located on the cycling 74 website - pluggos are by far the coolest way to integrate a maxMSP project into your Live sets. And building them is really easy, once you've found the 5-10 objects you generally use.

Anyway, I've been working with Max and the Lemur a lot recently, and we're making good friends now :)
Great info, cheers mate.
..?

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:01 am

Machinate wrote: I personally wouldn't sell a DP4+ period, but that's just me ( I love those units, and would love to have one again).
I hardly use it. Mine is in pristine condition. I would say even brand new looking. Want to buy it? Shipping it from Holland wouldn't cost much.

Machinate wrote:

.... - many of these things compared to Reaktor are ABSURDLY easy in Max. I couldn't believe it when I switched. I still have reaktor for pure synthesis goodness and for easy effect units, but for the funky stuff it just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

I have read a little bit about Max MSP. It looks complicated and to be pefectly honest, I know nothing about programming. Nevertheless, it looks interesting, so can you achieve what you can with the V synth in Max? But, as I said, I might find Max MSP too demading and I am not sure I would like to spend the time learning how to program.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:10 am

I would advise you to shave your scrotum as soon as possible.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

jasper

Re: What Would You Do?

Post by jasper » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:28 am

READ ALL OF THIS:
ok you own Reaktor, I do too...and we both know what would go into cloning your VSynth ( pain on the eyes and clock ).. If I were you I'd kindly insist on
1150 euros for the triton rack and here's why:
you are selling it because you know where hardware is headed. same reason i sold my roland jp8080(on EBAY for a *very good price* to some chap whom does NOT know where hardware is going, heh;).

I worked at the biggest music store in new york city, and I've seen
this firsthand:
the manager of the store buys it from you for 200...and the second y ou walk out the door he sells it on his shelf for 400. That's retail.
Stick those two things on ebay and you become the retailer. that i also did firsthand. and it works gorgeously.
once you've sold your stuff..you've got POOL...make your
decisions when you've already got the money in your pocket, not while parting with your money ;)

take care.