What's better Ableton Live or Logic Pro ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
IanBuzz

What's better Ableton Live or Logic Pro ?

Post by IanBuzz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:33 am

Ableton Headz,

I'm kinda new to the Ableton forums and im a user of both platforms of
Logic Pro (about 2yrs) and Ableton Live (about 1 & 1/2). I wanted to see
where the rest of you guys and gals stand on this one. I myself think that
they both have their time and place.... Any kids out there using both?....
Do any of you think that it depends of the style of music you make?...

:?: :?: :?:

-Ian Buzz

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:39 am

they compliment each other, comparing them is like comparing apples with erm.... chemical screw fixings.... they are 2 different horses for different courses and the best part is you can merge them together with rewire !

Although being a PC user, I use Cubase SX3 with Live 6 for similar purposes.

IanBuzz

Post by IanBuzz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:11 am

Hey leedsquietman,

You bring up some valid points...
leedsquietman
comparing apples with erm.... chemical screw fixings.... they are 2 different horses for different courses and the best part is you can merge them together with rewire !
I guess I should have asked the question; In music like house, trance ect...What suite
do people prefer to write, main bass lines, main leads and main drums - I would say the three
"key" elements of a song? (but not always true)* But at least for those types
of dance music. - I lean towards Ableton for nice dirty sounding bass lines more so
then Logic for example. I also notice a lot of tech-house and electro musicians are big
Ableton fans.

I was thinking more along of the style of music you make?

take care man!

JACKAL & HYDE

Post by JACKAL & HYDE » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:18 am

IanBuzz wrote:Hey leedsquietman,

You bring up some valid points...
leedsquietman
comparing apples with erm.... chemical screw fixings.... they are 2 different horses for different courses and the best part is you can merge them together with rewire !
I guess I should have asked the question; In music like house, trance ect...What suite
do people prefer to write, main bass lines, main leads and main drums - I would say the three
"key" elements of a song?
I was thinking more along of the style of music you make?

take care man!

With the right plugs every "house or trance" song in existence could easily be made in Live alone.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:27 am

What's best for painting? Oil or Acrylic?

What's best for adding flavour? Garlic or Onions?

What's the best transportation? Bus or Bike?

-M

austinh

Post by austinh » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:34 am

zOmgwtfbbq...I HAVE TO PEEEEEEE!

- Austin

RelentlessDanceMusic.com
RelentlessDanceMusic.com -- Stream the album now!
Mob Mentality -- Podcasting with class!

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:42 am

Hey neighbor,

BTW, my name's also Ian.

As far as regular posters here that use both, the first that come to mind are myself, machinesworking and adamjay. So there are some of us.

I personally feel like the time I spent in logic was not a waste, but in the order of events should have come after learning max/msp. Logic is in my opinion less intuitive and it would have been easier to have banged my head through it if I went through the foundation of learning tools max had to offer first.

The reason I bring this up is because there is Live, my favorite realtime instrument/environment. Then there is Logic, the customizable utility that can polish a turd and can soundflower some goodness into my live GUI. Max, however, with some time, completely could theoretically eliminate logic from the equation.

Almost anything really can be done in Live, though the tools in Logic sometimes make things more direct. I used to think that the two were a perfect pair. In theory they could work very well, but in terms of realtime it seems always unreliable and awkward. I never use Logic anymore. I imagine that version 7 will be an adequate utility for mastering in years to come. It should be fine for that when I'm ready.

OK, theres my ramble. Once I aked a local glitch-rocker if he knew anyone using Logic, as I was just getting into it. His response was "I used to but now they are all into MAX/MSP". At the time I thought he was just being pretentious, as, well, this guy is awfully pretensious, but the progression seems quite natural and in reetrospect he was probably being blunt.

Yeah. Even sulpture and it's epic GUI is starting to fade away in light of the immediate success I have been having with sampler.

Apple has done nothing to engage people in what is a very credible piece of software. Perhaps this is a good thing. Why change a good thing? In the interim live has caught up with it most aspects and surpassed it in almost all others.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:35 pm

If you are working with intensive MIDI and audio editing, scoring or using Arrangement mode (linear timeline) exclusively and require a solution which has several built in softsynths and reasonable-good quality fx plugins then traditional DAWS such as Logic, Cubase and Sonar etc. are better suited for this, they also have a nicer and more accessible mixer than Live.

However, Live has really advanced a lot, and in terms of composition I find it a much more fluid and productive system for getting songs together quickly from scratch, I fecking love Session view composition (so much better than the pseudo session Play Order in Cubase) and I also love being able to mess around in real time with clips and fx automation which I find more intuitive in Live than Cubase, plus the effects and tools (such as Beat Repeat etc) are totally different in Live. I just find production quicker in Live and it is usable for most trad DAW scenarios too using Arrangement mode.

For my electronica productions, Live is just the business. However, if I wanted to record a 60 track power rock ballad then I would probably use Cubase. I say get both, because Live adds a flava that you cannot recreate in Cubase/Logic etc and via rewire you can incorporate that into a more trad DAW arrangement.

I guess the difficult choice is if you could only afford one of them - at least Ableton let you demo their product effectively, but depending on your needs, you may find either of them the better choice, it's all totally subjective stuff !

Daim

Post by Daim » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:47 pm

i prefer apples over shoes

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:58 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:What's best for painting? Oil or Acrylic?
Oil, one smell and you get "inspired"
Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:What's best for adding flavour? Garlic or Onions?
Onions, but strangely lots of people hate them, so Garlic if you're making pop food
Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:What's the best transportation? Bus or Bike?
Bus

All answers might change once the world runs out of oil.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:14 pm

Daim wrote:i prefer apples over shoes
I can never get apples to fit, shoes for me every time.
..?

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:43 pm

Logics effects sound way better.
Logic's synths and samplers sound way better.
Logic has better midi editing.

That said, the only reason I ever open it up any more is to work on old songs started in logic or to play with sculpture(which is almost never now).

Ableton has taken over because it's quicker and more fun, and that's the whole point for me.

The only reason I still have logic is because when version 8 (or the logic successor) comes out, I'm quite certain that it will "rock the asses of of things that are normally quite attached to their asses". (to quote pitch black -who wasn't talking about logic at the time).

rjw
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

iamnotcool

Post by iamnotcool » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:17 am

Live = Creation/invetion

Logic = Refinement
15" Macbook Pro C2D, Live 6, Remote Zero SL
Click here for my tunes!

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:18 am

iamnotcool wrote:Live = Creation/invetion

Logic = Refinement
Live = fairly stable
Logic = crashes constantly

I'm sticking with Live.
..?

sebovzeoueb

Post by sebovzeoueb » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:25 am

Live
MacBook Pro 17", 2GB RAM; Live 6, Pod XT Live, MOTU Ultralite, M-AUDIO Axiom 25, Electric and Acoustic Ukuleles, Fretless Bass.

http://www.myspace.com/s2belectronica