Live's Reverb?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

What do you think of the Reverb effect that comes with Live

Very Good Indeed
13%
OK, but other reverbs are better
39%
Good for some things, bad for others
35%
Plain horrible
13%

Total votes: 179

Joelb

Post by Joelb » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:30 am

Great post robert.
I friggin love this company.

Soma

Post by Soma » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:26 pm

Robert Henke wrote:A comment in regards of the "mono reverb" discussion:

Since the best way to achive realistic room simmulations nowaday is convolution and not other method even comes close if you want to have realistic reverbs we decided not to put much effort into making the Live reverb sound extremly naturalistic. ... However, at some point we might either add a new reverb or significantly improve the existing one.

And if you want a convincing concert hall, Alitverb would be my first choice too.

Robert
Can we hope for a convolution reverb built into Live one day?

stutter

Post by stutter » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:25 pm

there are free convolution reverb's available. There's even a prototype on KVR that runs from a Geforce graphics card at zero cpu hit.
(yes, I prefer my host dev's to work on the host, not it's plugs)

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:32 pm

stutter wrote:there are free convolution reverb's available. There's even a prototype on KVR that runs from a Geforce graphics card at zero cpu hit.
link?

Zerobae

Post by Zerobae » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:38 pm

nebulae wrote:
stutter wrote:there are free convolution reverb's available. There's even a prototype on KVR that runs from a Geforce graphics card at zero cpu hit.
link?
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... ce&start=0

stutter

Post by stutter » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:39 pm

prototype I was thinking of - not yet useful... maybe that's unfair, not yet necessarily stable, and v. high latency (which I assume DPC will deal with)

and there's always nebula - which I must admit I haven't gotten round to trying yet, but KVR seems excited (and/or furstrated by it), and it has the option to run from Geforce CUDA chips.

or, one that I actually use, SIR (none Graphics card related)

my point being really that there are developers out there who concentrate solely on these things, and I'm sure we will see more free and perfectly useful Convolution reverbs appear. I'd rather Live focused elsewhere, even though I like their effects, love some of them in fact.
Last edited by stutter on Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:40 pm

Zerobae wrote:
nebulae wrote:
link?
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... ce&start=0
Thanks! too bad I use an Nvidia 7 series (the last series to offer a GPU without a fan - noise before performance!) :)

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:41 pm

stutter wrote:prototype I was thinking of - not yet useful

and there's always nebula - which I must admit I haven't gotten round to trying yet, but KVR seems excited (and/or furstrated by it), and it has the option to run from Geforce CUDA chips.

or, one that I actually use, SIR (none Graphics card related)

my point being really that there are developers out there who concentrate solely on these things, and I'm sure we will see more free and perfectly useful Convolution reverbs appear. I'd rather Live focused elsewhere, even though I like their effects, love some of them in fact.
Yeah, the free version of SIR is great. Unfortunately, none of these convo-verbs hold up to ArtsAcoustic revrb for me. IMHO.

elblanco

Post by elblanco » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:42 pm

ARTS ACOUSTIC +1

stutter

Post by stutter » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:45 pm

well, I admit I love verbs. And ArtsAcoustic is often top of the list. But I definitely think convolution has a different sound to it, at the very least potentially a useful alternative, if not better.
I'm still in the way of using verb's I know and love, and my old computer used to fall over when convolution was used, so I don't play with it as much as I should.