I *need* a more efficient VST browser, I have 100+ VSTS!HELP

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dubbyah

I *need* a more efficient VST browser, I have 100+ VSTS!HELP

Post by dubbyah » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:03 pm

Firstly, I have about 150 vsts, sorted by subfolders, effects folder is divided into delay, mangling/glitch,distortion, filter/pitch, etc. Instruments is divided by synthesis type. The search of Ableton 6 is nice, but it won't cut it. EnergyXT has a very nice file browser, so I can display all my vsts side by side in multiple resizable ROWS (as opposed to Ableton's SINGLE row of the browser. With Ableton, I have to scroll up and down whenever I'm doing effects stuff. With EnergyXT or other programs, I simply can see all of my multiple vsts at once. It takes up more screen space, but you can resize it and close it when you're done. I'm willing to sacrifize the small size of Ableton's default for something that takes up way more pixelsize but allows me to choose and drag and drop much more efficiently.

My question is, how do I go about doing this? Some hosts support direct .dll drag and drop from explorer. That would be absolutely ideal, because there are third party explorers that would be MUCH more efficient than the default ableton. With samples, it's great because of that. Is there a way to use some other sort of vst import system? I can disable on the bottom the VST window display, but that isn't too much screen space added and I like having that open. Am I missing something, is there some way to directly drag VST .dlls from explorer/outside apps into Live and have them load as vsts? If not, I'll either have to scroll a very annoying amount, EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING FOR THE AMOUNT OF VSTS I have, I'll have to type a lot if I'm to do any types of complex chains, or I'll have to use energyXT/another host within Live or instead of live at all times!

Thanks a lot for the help, this is the one thing bugging me about Live vs other hosts, the plug-in devices window is simply not enough for audio fiends like me who have this number of vsts...

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:14 pm

1: you have too many vsts, bro ;)
2: Do you need to see all your vsts at once? If so, what's the point of having folders at all? I'd definitely do a very nested folder structure and start by clicking from the vst folder root - fx:distortion:bitcrush:MyFaveBitcrusher - that's four clicks (you *do* have double-click on one of your mousebuttons, right?) and if the nesting is done right you do not have to scroll at all. More subfolders.

I find that to be a very decent way of working - even back when I didn't discriminate between the sucky and the good plugins.

Also, consider using Live racks as a means to quickly access many chains of single plugins: load all your filter plugins into one rack and distribute the chains across a midi range - control it with a knob to audition them.

(as an aside, on numerous occasions I've been at studios where people would stare themselves blind on the list of Waves plugins, simply because there are so many of them. Less is more, in my book)

Lastly, you can build some pretty amazing vst sorting gizmos in Max - alphabetizing and such. Make a pluggo and you're off, right?
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

dubbyah

Post by dubbyah » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:37 pm

it's been a while, man!

hehe, I do expand/close the folders using the arrows but even then it isn't efficient because I simply have so many plugins the delay folder can take up a huge amount of room... with the effects, that works, but the synthesizers have a LOT less subfolders than my effects folder, so it's problematic there... the nestling definitely helps, but it's still less than desirable when compared with other browsers/vst windows i've used
a larger resolution wouldn't hurt, either, i'm at 1028 right now. :P

is there any way to use a third party browser with live??

however, max is an excellent option, although it's certainly more effort than integrating a third party browser like sample browsers specifically made for increased efficiency in importing samples (something akin to a vst importer 3rd party). could you expand on the pluggo idea a bit more? i plan to do that eventually, quite soon, actually, make an ultimate algorithmic VST fuckuppery environment in max... there's a lot of stuff i'm conjuring up that wouldn't be possible in energyXT or comparable higherlevel modular environments but that i could rig up in max... how is the vst~? i really haven't used it much... i heard it opens up absolutely EVERYTHING about the plugin, including floating points and the like... is it very buggy? is it easy/simple to assign ccs and to open the gui of various plugins?
i'm assuming it doesnt support dual cores like live, however? but if you ran the pluggo in live, you would be able to take advantage of it.... is there a way to load vsts from a pluggo created in max, so the vsts open in live? or do you mean hosting them in max itsself run as a vst within live (or rewired into live)?

HOLLAR 4 A DAWLA VIRTUAL REALITY GLOVE SCHOLAR~~~~~~~~

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:13 am

man, you should be able to rig something cool with vst (goddamit where's the tilde on this cruddy mac keyboard!"#€€%%&/(())==??`! ) It currently doesn't work with a few of the beat-oriented glitch plugs, though, but that really doesn't matter much.
I simply have so many plugins the delay folder can take up a huge amount of room
Subfolders, matey-oh! Lots of them! Seeing things in two rows of browser won't make things a lot simpler, either - you still have too much data to take in. Data reduction is the name of the game.
max is an excellent option, although it's certainly more effort than integrating a third party browser
Not a lot - IIRC you just send the name of the plugin you want to the vst object, and it loads automatically - so you could have multiple umenus or whatever, sorted by category, all ready to go.
is it easy/simple to assign ccs and to open the gui of various plugins?
Yes. I would recommend making a CC input bpatcher, that scales the values properly and saving it as a prototype - then do a [paramname [grr, where's the effin dollarsign!?]1] and you're good. Definitely check the vst object help file - it's fun, and fuckuppery is EASY!

You can use multiprocessor threading when using pluggos too, yes.
.... is there a way to load vsts from a pluggo created in max, so the vsts open in live?
That's what I meant, yeah. So it'll be like a vst wrapper, really. Add max lfos and shit. :twisted:

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:22 am

There was a link recently on the forum for a VST host which allowed you to stack and chain and switch VST's in a modular fashion... the name eludes me.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:32 am

150 is too many vst's? I've got nearly 600 plugins on my computer...
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Adam Singer

Post by Adam Singer » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:38 am

you should consider going through and archiving everything you aren't actively using

there's def something to be said for getting the most out of minimal tools...

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:41 am

Johnisfaster wrote:150 is too many vst's? I've got nearly 600 plugins on my computer...
thats has to be an over kill
i had about 20 and i thought i had to many so i deleted most of them
i am now only using reason for synths line 6 gear box for guitar, ez drummer for drums and east west symphonic orchestra silver for strings and rebirth for electronic drums...
i still feel sometimes that this is to much. every thing i mentioned above has its own effects, when you add it all up it is still plenty.
when i start to build up a mass of vst's i usually find myself messing with presets more so than creating anything myself..
i figure i only need one of each type of effect and one of each style of synth.. if that
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:54 pm

sweetjesus wrote:There was a link recently on the forum for a VST host which allowed you to stack and chain and switch VST's in a modular fashion... the name eludes me.
The main goal is a vst plugin *librarian*. Besides, if you had read my post you'd see that racked chains have already been suggested ;)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:27 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: