using ableton to DJ from the confines of a wheelchair?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:57 am

sqook wrote:As a random suggestion, you might consider checking out the lemur by jazzmutant. It's a bit pricey, but very offers a very configurable layout.
I was just going to suggest this ;)

shadeofgrey, definitely look into the JazzMutant Lemur. If you don't know, it is a multi-touch control surface, that will let you set up just the controls you want on a screen - and you can make a fader as long and wide as the screen, if need be. I reckon it could be a very expressive controller for the right arm.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Patch

Post by Patch » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:54 am

Don't you guys think a Lemur is a little expensive for shadeofgrey? I've thougt about dumping some of my controllers in favour of Dummy Clips - they seem like the perfect solution for this guy.

(Hey - wasn't there a hack a while ago for turning a Staples "Stop" button into a controller? If it could be used to send an "Enter" command, shadeofgrey could use it to trigger clips (in conjunction with left hand navigating) with his right hand, right?)

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:54 am

Patch wrote:Don't you guys think a Lemur is a little expensive for shadeofgrey?
yes, I'm afraid so. :-(
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Verbal

Post by Verbal » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:17 am

http://www.newmobility.com/review_artic ... ion=browse

The above link is an article about DJ Short-E based in Kalamazoo Michigan. I saw her spin at a party once and she's good. She's in a wheelchair and can't use her hands, so she uses her mouth. Pretty inspiring.

freqn

Post by freqn » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:20 pm

Word of advice.....go for it and don't listen to anyone or anything that says you can't. The world needs your sound.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:01 pm

Machinate wrote:
Patch wrote:Don't you guys think a Lemur is a little expensive for shadeofgrey?
yes, I'm afraid so. :-(
I've used two joysticks mapped to MIDI via Rejoice (on windows) and also gamepads, these are cheap (about $20-30 apiece) and can provide a lot of control. For a little more you can get a wireless USB joystick.

The Frontier Tranzpor might be good, also-- $200, can easily be worked with just one hand and is wireless.

With the wireless controllers, you could have these on a surface mounted on your chair.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:47 pm

You can DJ with Live with one finger!

The rest is all dancing and shaking your head.

I can't tell you how many people I've seen just using keymap in Live to fire off clips from their computer keyboard.

So to answer your question, yes you absolutely can DJ from Live.

It's 95% setup and 5% performance for many Live DJs.

Most of them don't even use pre-listening.

If you want a controller to fire off clips, you can use anything from an external computer keyboard to fancy options that can be configured for visual feedback of what clip is playing like a FaderFox LX2 or Monome.

After that, if you want to use a mixer or a midi fader box to set levels, it's up to you, but many places will already have a mixer set up for you also...
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Patch

Post by Patch » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:13 pm

Kodama wrote:It's 95% setup and 5% performance for many Live DJs.

Shhhhhh..! Don't tell everybody... :wink:

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:24 pm

rajcoont wrote: Image
Can't we just be mates, you know, I give you a call every now and again

"...well come on! Give it to me!!!!!!"

thew scene where he downs the voddy after a serious line just turns my stomach (ouch!)

ad
Ableton | Elektron

Music

dvehtch

Post by dvehtch » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:59 am

djadonis206 wrote:anything is possible - except for a deaf dj :roll:
It's all gone Pete Tong :lol:
"its all about the music...so keep listening"