SSL Duende

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:42 am

roach808 wrote:
mission1 wrote:Honestly, the Liquid Mix is stunning but requires great patience to master due to options overload. The Manley Emulations alone are worth it. The SSL emu is pretty darn good too. Universal Audio + Liquid Mix == Ableton EQ Heaven.

This is just my humble opinion, I have both.

the Manley Emulations are pretty good, the Avalon emulations are pretty spot on, but i think the SSL emulations aren't as hot as they could be.

In a random interjection for all the Jackal haters out there, seriously when this mofo speaks I do tend to listen. If you haven't heard any of this man's tunes just go dig up some Jackal & Hyde traks. The sound is exstreamly fierce, if thats not enough for you go get some Dynamix II or Industrial Bass Machine traks.

sorry, gotta give shout out to pretty much my musical mentor of sorts.

@roach ... if there's a definite approach that many of us could take to makin the damned thing work flawlessly we would.. but some of us have gone out of our way to make it work right without results.

we all respect each other here..

@J&H i dont think ive mentioned to you either but i really think ur music is cool./.

@roach again...
the mac vs pc thing which came up on the first page aside, no matter how good anyones music is ... doesn't fix technical problems that people have unless the music J&H is making rumbles at the right frequencies at the right time to make my computer keyboard press the right combination of buttons to launch the control panel and make the neccessary tweaks.. .

to me, this thread is more about trying to figure out what makes a 100% flawless Duende .. i really want one!!!

mdb

Post by mdb » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:23 pm

Ok, so your telling me that all i had to do was uninstall the software and re-install it again and turn it off for 30 seconds after the install, and it would have worked for me? Im not quite sure what turning the unit off and on is going to do.. That doesnt really make sense. Whats the difference between that and a restart after you install it?

Funny story, My old lady has this totally flaming gay friend that's always over at the house, who is truly psychic. I didnt believe it at first, but hes proved otherwise.. Anyway, I was talkin to him about how i was going to buy a duende, and i jokingly asked him "what are the gay psychic powers telling you about this thing man!!" And he actually got all serious for a sec and was like.. "Dont buy one right now, its has a lot of problems they are trying to work out", "Wait 8 months, something better is going to come out". And this is coming from a guy that goes out gay club in every night.. Haha. Doesnt know shit about music gear or music production.

Well, to make a long story short.. I didnt listen to him and i went and bought it anyway. And sure enough, that bastard was right again.. So now im gonna wait 8 months and you should too. :D Something betters coming out in 8 months. We'll see if hes right. I want to believe hes not, but he proves me wrong everytime.

Anywho.. thought that was kind of funny and thought id share the "insider" psychic tip. :D

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:44 am

That's such a cool story!
:D :D :D
I wonder if in 8 months UA are coming out with a new DSP card.
They are about to come out with a Neve VR88 channel strip for the UAD-1, similar deal to SSL super high-end EQ/Dynamics strip.

UA is totally dissing FireWire, apparently PCIe has much higher bandwidth.
Can you ask your gay friend?

mdb

Post by mdb » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:25 am

djsynchro wrote:That's such a cool story!
:D :D :D
I wonder if in 8 months UA are coming out with a new DSP card.
They are about to come out with a Neve VR88 channel strip for the UAD-1, similar deal to SSL super high-end EQ/Dynamics strip.

UA is totally dissing FireWire, apparently PCIe has much higher bandwidth.
Can you ask your gay friend?

Haha! :lol: Yeah, sure... So you want to know if its UAD thats going to be doling this? Is that the question?

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:19 am

again, I have a headache just reading this stuff.

I don't think there is anything, at any price that will suit my needs :cry:

JACKAL & HYDE

Post by JACKAL & HYDE » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:32 pm

mdb wrote:Ok, so your telling me that all i had to do was uninstall the software and re-install it again and turn it off for 30 seconds after the install, and it would have worked for me? Im not quite sure what turning the unit off and on is going to do.. That doesnt really make sense. Whats the difference between that and a restart after you install it?

How would I know, I didnt design it. Those are SSL's instructions, not 'what I think might work'.

If your on a PC did you go to Start Menu>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>View>Resources by connection>IRQ - to see if your Firewire card was sharing an IRQ with another device? Because if it was, when you insert a duende plugin, it will not pass audio. As seen here>

http://solid-state-logic-en.custhelp.co ... _topview=1

Everything you need to know to make it work properly is in SSL's FAQ.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:03 am

Tadaaa!!!! One of the new plug-ins for the UAD-1 is the Neve 88RS Channel strip!

The 88RS is Neve's top-of-the-line large format console and is used by places like Skywalker sound.

The channel strip is similar to the SSL: Parametric EQ, Hi/Lowpass filters, compressor/limiter//gate/expander and you can route the filters to the sidechain to affect the way the compressor reacts to the signal.

From the UAD forum:

Because it isn't as old as some of the vintage stuff UA models it doesn't have as many of the non-linearities meaning less DSP is required and a single UAD-1 card will run 8 instances! Meaning 4 cards (which is max) would give you 32 instances... Meaning a worthy competitor for the Duende, and cheaper too.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:20 pm

What happened to the Duende thread? Neve strip should (hopefully) be coming out this week by the way... Oh and I also calculated that when i get that and a 3rd card I will have spent almost the same amount of money anyway he he...

I will have more plugs tho'

:D